Ferdinand Piëch Dead at 82

Peter M

Really, you two rate this guy on his reproductive & marital talents ( first line of both posts) why ? Shame on you.

Very poor posting, & no respect shown for the passing of a very influential car person connected to the Porsche family by marriage.

Tabliod posting, Raven stick with the page 3 posts, you seem very good at those, boring as they are.

Peter M, thought you may have had a more thoughtful insite.

Have to agree and seems a very flippant way to discuss the passing of a true legend of the automotive industry, and someone so involved with the cars we all love. He was an amazing man, who helped turn around Volkswagen and was also incredibly influential in much of Porsches success and many of their cars.

Vale Ferdinand

We're all known for all the things in our life. Especially when we die, and more so if you've achieved and been recognized by the public.

4 wives and 12 children is notable. 

A shameful thing to remark on? I don't think it is. It's just text without context. Sometimes i write to little to create the correct context, sometimes i write too much.

Like now probably.

20 hours ago, Arnage said:

Peter M, thought you may have had a more thoughtful insite.

Really?

Guys lighten up.

The fact I created a thread to acknowledge his passing is an indication of my respect for his engineering skills and his tireless achievements.

There is no doubt he was a complex character and my comments about being "respected more than loved" come from my extensive reading of the opinions of his contemporaries such as Falk, Kussmaul, Lapine and the like. 

I note Top Gear have published similar views yesterday: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ferdinand-piech-1937-2019

I didn't mention the despicable act of Dieselgate that he no doubt knew about and in fact created an organisational culture where such behaviours were supported.  For glossing over that I apologise.  Reference: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/09/170918093337.htm

I'm interested to read his eulogies when they are published in the coming days.  I suspect the tone of these won't be too far off what I have said.

Anyway, if you are going to nitpick what I post, can you at least show me respect and get your spelling correct?  It's  "insight" not "insite"! 🙄

But that's OK, I respect your right to your opinion, I've taken the opportunity to double check what I have expressed and I'm happy to agree to disagree with you and Bruce.

Lots of oldies on this site who feel their own mortality keenly. Sometimes that leads to what I perceive as over-reactions when discussing matters of age, including death.

His legacy is mixed. This post could have been a lot harsher. If it weren't for Porsche enthusiasts over the past years paying off dieselgate, where would VW be right now?

Anyway, a very rich man died, he did some great things, and some not so great things.

RIP.

1 hour ago, Peter M said:

Really?

Guys lighten up.

The fact I created a thread to acknowledge his passing is an indication of my respect for his engineering skills and his tireless achievements.

There is no doubt he was a complex character and my comments about being "respected more than loved" come from my extensive reading of the opinions of his contemporaries such as Falk, Kussmaul, Lapine and the like. 

I note Top Gear have published similar views yesterday: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ferdinand-piech-1937-2019

I didn't mention the despicable act of Dieselgate that he no doubt knew about and in fact created an organisational culture where such behaviours were supported.  For glossing over that I apologise.  Reference: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/09/170918093337.htm

I'm interested to read his eulogies when they are published in the coming days.  I suspect the tone of these won't be too far off what I have said.

Anyway, if you are going to nitpick what I post, can you at least show me respect and get your spelling correct?  It's  "insight" not "insite"! 🙄

But that's OK, I respect your right to your opinion, I've taken the opportunity to double check what I have expressed and I'm happy to agree to disagree with you and Bruce.

Your first post reads like a smart arse looking for cheap laughs and in no way should be compared as similar to the Top Gear article. The mention of his children & wives is a final footnote in that report. Also the Motor1 link you posted makes no ref to his children & wives, so why do you think it important to note in a two line post?

I am not saying that his family life should not be mentioned, it seems pointless to lead with that fact on a car forum. If as you say above, you started the post as an indication of your respect for his engineering skills and his tireless achievements, why not write about these?

As for showing you respect regarding my spelling, respect does not come into it as its not disrespectful to make a spelling mistake, but seeing as you brought it up you may want to look at the second sentence of your first post here.

I am not outraged by this nor am I perpetually outraged, just irritated by what I feel are unnecessary jokey type comments on the passing of a man.