LHD to RHD conversions

Merv

12 minutes ago, Merv said:

Does anyone still do these in Australia?

Yes.  

You just need to make sure about how they do it, parts used etc.  if it’s a 911, try not to lose the body build number.  Under the dash pad near the ashtray.

My personal view is if it came from the Fatherland as LHD, consider leaving it.  World market if you want to sell and also says you’re your own person ... dress left, be proud ...

Again, for me - LHD feels right.  I understand that it can be a hassle at times but I’d think carefully before brutalizing.

I’ve got a 72S that was done left to right.  I bought it well because of that.  Rohan and the guys at Skunkwerks did a full resto back to the Viper Green and I seriously considered taking back to LHD but impatient as I am I just got them to use the right under bonnet panels (instead of the SC stuff the people that did it originally used - very good job mind you but ...).

I’m “doing up” (read bare shell) a 1970 2.2 S that is LHD and seeing things as they should be (remember, they were conceived as LHD)  makes sense to me.

Each to their own in my book as whatever direction you dress, it’s still a Porker.

5 minutes ago, Skidmarks said:

(remember, they were conceived as LHD) 

Helmuth Bott insisted the car be designed specifically with the steering pinion in the middle of the steering rack so the same rack could be used for both LHD and RHD cars and spent a quarter of a million DM developing it. So RHD was a consideration from the very beginning and definitely not an afterthough.  (The improved crash performance of the resulting angled intermediate steering shaft was just a "welcome side benefit" according to Peter Falk.) 

2 hours ago, Peter M said:

Helmuth Bott insisted the car be designed specifically with the steering pinion in the middle of the steering rack so the same rack could be used for both LHD and RHD cars and spent a quarter of a million DM developing it. So RHD was a consideration from the very beginning and definitely not an afterthough.  (The improved crash performance of the resulting angled intermediate steering shaft was just a "welcome side benefit" according to Peter Falk.) 

Absolutely. Its just for me, LHD feels right.  (Like what I did there?)

This is not for me, but a friend looking for a 356 and he really wants RHD. I have an original Aust-delivered RHD 356 and had an original LHD 911.  Both perfect for me.  However, the real question is most of the places who 'used' to do conversions on 356s seem to have stopped.  I was wondering if any still do them?

Nice point Peter, when you look at the steering geometry of the 356.

Detlef Specht out in Rowville did quite a few over the years especially in the 80's - he's past that now. He most recently did a 996 4S out of the states (madness I know). Back in the day he even did a 928.....think bomb disposal under enemy gunfire wearing a welding mask.....

If you were doing a total strip, paint and rebuild maybe look into it, otherwise agree with Sven

4 hours ago, OBRUT said:

Wait for brexit and bring one in from the uk?

The way that's going, that will be in 14 years time! 

I imagine the hardest part with conversions is sourcing a decent front clip without paying a motsa for it.

The number of original RHD cars is low in Australia.  For example only 44 BT6 cars were sold here. Further, the prices sought on these are becoming eye opening. UK cars are often afflicted with salt and age related rust.  It is a challenge. 

only downside to doing a 356 is the steering pitman arm. they are very hard to get hold of. i can put you in touch with a guy i know that had some made (reverse engineered) and made by some company who make components for v8 supercars. 

dash is very easy to do

Thanks Neil.  That is good.  I am pretty sure I have a spare RHD pitman arm attached to an OEM ZF steering box I have stashed. Yes Lee the front end would not be a cheap fix, I suspect. My mate here is playing a waiting game and keeping an ear out for any cars coming up.  

@Merv As Chris mentioned, RSR Sportscars have their finger on the pulse with 356's mate. Maybe contact @Cam Arnott to see if he can help you, and maybe Craig at Buik Motorworks. 

There is also the guys who repaired my car, Edwardstown Body Repairs (SA). They've done loads of conversions and high end restorations and might be able to steer you in the right direction 

Jason Carroll at Chequered Flag Restorations in Bayswater Melbourne has done and continues to do many 356 and 911 conversions- in recent years he is even reconverting factory LHD cars converted to RHD in the earlier years back to LHD!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

He abandoned his research at the time Raffa. I sold the, still-wrapped in grease paper, ZF steering box after great interest overseas, to a local with a converted 356.  There is a LHD 64 SC90 in a shed nearby that I have been looking at for a while. Quick car but needs a repaint and some minor body and interior work.