Wanted (thought about it, did it) 996 C4S

KGB

On 01/07/2020 at 22:20, luzzo said:

Love this forum for the sharing of info. Shall keep that one in the knowledge bank. 

I have the Factory short shift as a Build option on my 997S. I rate it highly.  I could understand some may comment that the shift action seems resistant, and maybe even a little notchy - but if anything that is really only from cold. Once it warms up, it is slick. In fact, by the time it's warm, those shifts are slotting into place so smooth it makes me want to head straight for the hills. 

Knowledge I pilfered from a US forum!  

Mine needs about 6-7 changes before it become smooth and delightful.  I imagine a 997 Factory SSK would make a 996 very stubborn in the gear change.  Not for this little black (Atlas Grey) duck.

Also replacing the original speakers in the old girl, woofers in doors done last night.  130mm woofer doesn't bark that loud!  No cutting just drop in, plug'n'play.  Waiting for Auspost to deliver the pair of pairs of 100mm two ways for the rear and dash.  16 year old speakers in the bin, new versions (Focal) should improve listening without upsetting the budget or being seen at all.  Nice little stealth install project, DIY.    The old guy on the red bike is pedaling super slowly...HTFU;  hurry the f^#k up...

Considering a PCCM+ unit when they become available in 4th qtr '20.  it allows decent in car phone functionality and music streaming, and the DAB ain't bad either.  Saving my scheckles, because Porsche (decal).

You won't know yourself with replacing the Nokia paper speakers!

I ended up using the original 100mm frames to slide in the replacements to allow same installation mounts.

Look forward to seeing it in the flesh!

36 minutes ago, P-Kay said:

You won't know yourself with replacing the Nokia paper speakers!

I ended up using the original 100mm frames to slide in the replacements to allow same installation mounts.

Look forward to seeing it in the flesh!

Original mounts are modified to be reused, requires a bit of cut and paste.  Sounds like the same process you undertook.

Rennlist 996 pages are very informative.

I’m looking forward to the improved sound quality.

• 11 months later...

Gents,

Closing the circle, today I agreed to terms to sell my C4S.

The car is going to a friend, he’s absolutely over the moon as he’s been looking for a while.

Deal was done today in a very gentlemanly manner after a short drive and a coffee.

It’s not often that someone says; “if you ever want to sell it…” and it actually comes off!

I decided to sell on Thursday, sent a txt and that was it, other than it having an annual service yesterday, and told the workshop it was going on the market, one of their clients wanted it and was second in line.

Have loved every second of driving the C4S, great car, best value 911 (if) available.

Thanks @Dreamr for confirming my thoughts on its value, sold at what we regarded as top end of the range, natch.

Replacement already in the garage, once transferred, with plates and detailed, reveal pics will be posted.

Hint; Carmine Red…

What a great ownership experience I’ve had, get one they’re fantastic under appreciated 911’s!

17 hours ago, KGB said:

Closing the circle, today I agreed to terms to sell my C4S.

Surprising to hear @KGB. A little sad, thought it may have been a keeper. But I'm sure the excitement of a new toy will keep you entertained. 

Its also a little ironic that an Atlas grey turns up for Sale today:

2 hours ago, luzzo said:

Surprising to hear @KGB. A little sad, thought it may have been a keeper. But I'm sure the excitement of a new toy will keep you entertained. 

Its also a little ironic that an Atlas grey turns up for Sale today:

Yes mate, happened fast.  Something I'd wanted came up in the right combo and at a decent  price, I grabbed it and something else had to go.  Once the cat is out of the bag your sadness will be forgotten!

That Atlas Grey car has a questionable (apologies in advance) interior color, and looks a bit rough, wonder what sort of mechanical condition it's in. Oz delivered?  Looks a bid odd to my eye.

21 minutes ago, KGB said:

Yes mate, happened fast.  Something I'd wanted came up in the right combo and at a decent  price, I grabbed it and something else had to go.  Once the cat is out of the bag your sadness will be forgotten!

That Atlas Grey car has a questionable (apologies in advance) interior color, and looks a bit rough, wonder what sort of mechanical condition it's in. Oz delivered?  Looks a bid odd to my eye.

Judging by your profile pic, I’m surprised it doesn't look a lot odd to your eye .. 😏

• 2 weeks later...

Going to need some mesh in front of those radiators KGB, there’s some photos in here somewhere from when I did my GTS.

Mesh in front of radiators DIY

I promised Redman & Niko some photos of the DIY mesh install on the 991. You need mesh from Supercheap or some other supplier, mesh is about $29 if you pick it up or $39??? delivered. It comes in silver or black, sheet is 1200mm x 300mm aluminum, cuts with tin snips, Small black zip ties, approx 22 off or about 4 for each mesh, Some masking tape, Cardboard, preferably something like a manilla folder, soft enough to be manipulated but stiff enough to hold its shape & a pencil & scisso 
I promised Redman & Niko some photos of the DIY mesh install on the 991. You need mesh from Supercheap or some other supplier, mesh is about $29 if you pick it up or $39??? delivered. It comes in silver or black, sheet is 1200mm x 300mm aluminum, cuts with tin snips, Small black zip ties, approx 22 off or about 4 for each mesh, Some masking tape, Cardboard, preferably something like a manilla folder, soft enough to be manipulated but stiff enough to hold its shape & a pencil & scisso

5 hours ago, GC9911 said:

Going to need some mesh in front of those radiators KGB, there’s some photos in here somewhere from when I did my GTS.

Mesh in front of radiators DIY

I promised Redman & Niko some photos of the DIY mesh install on the 991. You need mesh from Supercheap or some other supplier, mesh is about $29 if you pick it up or $39??? delivered. It comes in silver or black, sheet is 1200mm x 300mm aluminum, cuts with tin snips, Small black zip ties, approx 22 off or about 4 for each mesh, Some masking tape, Cardboard, preferably something like a manilla folder, soft enough to be manipulated but stiff enough to hold its shape & a pencil & scisso 
I promised Redman & Niko some photos of the DIY mesh install on the 991. You need mesh from Supercheap or some other supplier, mesh is about $29 if you pick it up or $39??? delivered. It comes in silver or black, sheet is 1200mm x 300mm aluminum, cuts with tin snips, Small black zip ties, approx 22 off or about 4 for each mesh, Some masking tape, Cardboard, preferably something like a manilla folder, soft enough to be manipulated but stiff enough to hold its shape & a pencil & scisso

Zunsport UK, all over it!   Thank you.

5 hours ago, luzzo said:

Hmm..

New 911 for @KGB:  Naturally Aspirated,  Big ass Wide body, Sweet spot in the model range, Very cool factory alloys.

Just a Red version of the old car.

Enjoy mate, looks f**ken amazingly red.

Bingo!  Except it’s other worldly compared to the old girl she’s replaced! Fast.

Thanks brother.

• 3 weeks later...