Sand Shark

Incase anyone was wondering which idiot bought the 928S that popped up in the desert on Porsche buy swap sell recently it was me.

Definitely the most expensive kinder surprise egg i've ever bought.

Haven't received it yet but stoked to be here and looking forward to the Journey ahead.

IMG_9531.JPG

14 hours ago, 3legs said:

Have to ask but how much did it cost you? I'm assuming this is the one from Darwin.

yeh man that's the one, paid 2k.

On 09/06/2020 at 21:52, OZ930 said:

Sorry, missed the story behind this.  Could you enlighten me please?

Not much is known about it other than it has been off the road for a long time. was part of a deceased estate. Previous owner was attempting a full engine rebuild from what i can gather. Was last reg'd in qld. Not sure how long it was in darwin for. hoping not too long. At least has been sitting undercover.

IMG_9538.JPG

IMG_9568.JPG

On 09/06/2020 at 19:38, KGB said:

Brave, brave man.

someone had to do it 

11 hours ago, Jon Exotic said:

yeh man that's the one, paid 2k.

Not much is known about it other than it has been off the road for a long time. was part of a deceased estate. Previous owner was attempting a full engine rebuild from what i can gather. Was last reg'd in qld. Not sure how long it was in darwin for. hoping not too long. At least has been sitting undercover.

IMG_9538.JPG

someone had to do it 

$2000 for the car - cheapest "part" you'll pay for in the entire build

• 2 months later...

Update: Sand shark is here. was pretty tricky getting a non runner down the guts of Australia during a pandemic but got lucky with a back load.

Surpassed expectations so far. Is in pretty good shape considering it has been sitting for so long. Heads are machined and valves done. Will get them checked again anyway. bit of corrosion in the usual spots but look ok to use. Few surprises included as well. Full Victor Reinz head gasket set, new rod bearings and rings already installed. New laso water pump, solid mounts from 928 motorsports and and few other goodies.

Block looks good, minimal scoring and no thrust bearing issues. Deck looks good no corrosion. Pistons in good nic for 280K as well.

Looking like a viable build at this point. Just waiting for this covid bs to blow over so i can get everything down to be machined.

IMG_0287.JPG

IMG_5603.JPG

IMG_8960.JPG

an awesome buy for $2k, you're ahead in parts alone. Love the colour too

looks like a challenge but hopefully you get it back and running.

I'm afraid of under the dashboard

have you tried stuttcars website to get all your options? - https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/vin-decoder/ (under 'My Garage')

On 24/08/2020 at 11:09, Russ said:

an awesome buy for $2k, you're ahead in parts alone. Love the colour too

looks like a challenge but hopefully you get it back and running.

I'm afraid of under the dashboard

have you tried stuttcars website to get all your options? - https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/vin-decoder/ (under 'My Garage')

Interesting! Will have a look tonight when i get home. Pretty sure the options sticker is still there. Paint sticker is...

Just about every tech i have talked to so far has warned me of the electrical gremlins in these. Will probably hand it over to someone for that part. Will be using one of Sean's wiring harnesses from 928 docs. They fit RHD no problems according to him.

Interior is burgundy, and is actually not too bad considering, seats and dash are worst. Theres a mob in coburg that do vinyl re-wraps with a vacuum press on dashes and consoles. https://www.dashboarddoctor.com.au/

Priced competitively, includes prep work for cracked dashes etc.

Jon,

We can only do the following, cost depends on condition.

Main dash $650.00

Instrument panel $495.00

Glove box lid $200.00

Centre console $550.00

Allan

Would consider changing interior colour if i go this route. Has anyone used them before?

IMG_6266.JPG

Used the dashboard doctor for years

Last on I did for my Falcon was well and truly rooted - I had to scrape the remains from the metal dash as it was well and truly sun damaged and not much left. They really wanted me to find them another one to recover, but I insisted the unobtainium I already had was good enough and what a transformation!

Just be anal and make sure you have a towel or something handy so whenver the car is in the sun, the dash is protected ;) 

8 hours ago, P-Kay said:

Used the dashboard doctor for years

Last on I did for my Falcon was well and truly rooted - I had to scrape the remains from the metal dash as it was well and truly sun damaged and not much left. They really wanted me to find them another one to recover, but I insisted the unobtainium I already had was good enough and what a transformation!

Just be anal and make sure you have a towel or something handy so whenver the car is in the sun, the dash is protected ;) 

Sounds like the way to go. Watched a few hours of dash upholstery tutorials and decided not to put myself through that. 

On 24/08/2020 at 20:11, Russ said:

This guy has some great 'how to' videos as he rebuilds his car

https://www.youtube.com/user/mrjones100

These are great! Hopefully he keeps doing more.