Horrific crash at Spa 24hr with Kevin Estre

WGA

I have been up Eau Rouge/Raidillon a couple of hundred times (and no doubt the driver of the Huracan has too), so this is a very sobering reminder of what can happen in a high speed section of any track when you make just a small mistake.

I have crashed twice in my life. Once at Monza and once on the Nordschleife. Fortunately not in very high speed sections of track but i know that if I dwelled on it too long, I might never do another track day ever again.

Just now, LeeM said:

Probably 200ish, as they're usually flat through eau reuge/Raidillon

Yes, 200+. My personal best in my RS is 210 into eau rouge and then around 170 through raidillon. Whereas a friend of mine, who is an instructor, is 225 into eau rouge and then 210 through raidillon in the same car. These dudes would be 230+ through there.

From memory Sean Edwards was the first guy to go flat through Eau Rouge in a GT3 cup in the 2013 supercup race. These GT3 spec cars have a world more aero than a 991 cup so I’d imagine speeds would be up around where @WGA suggested, maybe even higher? Eau Rouge/Raidillion seems to have lost its fear factor in professional racing in the past decade as the cars have become so aerodynamically advanced. However, the last couple of years have reminded us all just how dangerous it can be.

Bloody hell, echo the relief they all survived.
Initial hit on the Lambo was even his team mate by the looks of it, engine removal hit was after.
The lifting points for retrieval are neat.
How much is salvageable after an incident like that?  That Lambo looked like mostly becoming garage art, or is the cage and central tub designed to have the corners knocked off and get rebuilt?  Something like the 911 which had a big front hit presumably fixable?  Although seeing that the really minor off by the Apex GT2RSMR which didn't even hit anything and ran to like 50-100k euro in damage was an eye opener.  There are cheaper hobbies...

Geez really shows the safety of modern racecars however I don't think I would like to hit the rear end of a Lambo square on at speed. Check out the rear engine frame/roll cage. Looks like 2 spears joined together. You would think they would make them have a curve of some form.