Hottest Porsche's on the market right now

What surprised me was that he was surprised that 3.2's have gone up. That was always going to happen. No surprise to anyone but a so called expert.

Also I still can't work out why no one seems to think 928's are desirable or a future investment opportunity. Yes he states the GT but he seems to dismiss the other models.

Having owned both transaxle and 911's I can tell you they are a great car. There are other reasons why they should be more desirable to collectors than they currently are but I don't want to start a shit fight with 911 owners :) 

8 hours ago, 3legs said:

Also I still can't work out why no one seems to think 928's are desirable or a future investment opportunity. Yes he states the GT but he seems to dismiss the other models.

Having owned both transaxle and 911's I can tell you they are a great car. There are other reasons why they should be more desirable to collectors than they currently are but I don't want to start a shit fight with 911 owners :) 

Not trying to start a shit fight here either mate, as I know how much you love the 928, as you of all people are well qualified to express your opinion having owned a fair share of Porsche models (924T, 911's, 930 Turbo...)

I've never driven a 928, so I can't say how good or bad they are, and it's only since sitting in your car that I've started to like them more, yet straight up I'd probably compare it to my air cooled, which isn't really fair.

My personal take on why they're not that popular within the Porsche fraternity, is its styling and the inherent problems that seem to be the first topic that come up with the 928, especially the electrical system. You only have to watch a YouTube video or read some blog an 'expert' is saying as to why they're not a collectable car, yet like me they've probably never driven one to appreciate what their good points are, or it's just not the type of car that floats their boat.

You've lived with it and driven it hard in the hills, and I'm sure with some suspension tweaks it would probably be a fun car to throw around (Mark Buik has raced one for many years, and I've watched him at The Bend sticking it up some late model 911's!), so it's usually just the owners who say how good they are, and those who just don't like the look of them will put them in the too hard basket. 

Do I like the 928 body styling? Yep, always have liked the shape, as they're a striking car to see on the road. Would I own one? Probably not, as I'm one of those "911 wankers'' (as you know very well), yet to ME they seem to be the perfect car to just go for a cruise in, or hit the highway for a long road trip, not for those discerning collectors who are only thinking about how much it will be worth in 5 or 10 years time and never drive them, or those who only want a hills blaster.

The same can be said about 914/924/944's etc as to why they're not in the stratospheric value realms of 911's. Yeah they're probably capable cars for what they are used for (Andrew loves his 944), yet I'd probably never own one of them either, as I've driven 2 944's and wasn't a fan at all, so maybe my expectations were a lot higher than they should have been. 

That's my opinion anyway, so if ya don't like it...tough titties 😅👍😉

To me the key thing on a 928 is spec and condition as to how firm it gets me. Some kind of brown with pascha or some other absurd combo works. 

a silver with blue torn leather interior doesn’t do it for me. I don’t know if any other model where I can go from love to hate so fast. 

4 minutes ago, LeeM said:

My personal take on why they're not that popular within the Porsche fraternity, is its styling and the inherent problems that seem to be the first topic that come up with the 928, especially the electrical system......

The car had a lot of new generation electrical stuff in it that previous cars didn't have.  These were high technology cars with high performance and very high entry prices (probably about the same if not more than the equivalent top range 911 of today).  As we now know today, despite high quality components and quality control, electrical items still fail and can cause your late model car to be almost suitable for wrecking purposes only due to the cost of repair (labour to investigate, isolate and replace etc).  In the 928 (and equivalents of the 70s-80s), they had kilometres of wire that was poorly put together, connections that were designed for 15-20 years service life, and components rated for little to no vibration combined with the good old Aussie heat and humidity and this results in wiring gremlins that end up being behind the dash or under the flooring and so on.

I keep looking at them but given I have little to no money to restore one, I keep looking and no spending.  If I could swap out one for my 968 (an equivalent conditioned one) I'd certainly give it a long hard think.........And when sitting near @PTINS when he fires his up, oooh la la.

24 minutes ago, LeeM said:

The same can be said about 914/924/944's etc as to why they're not in the stratospheric value realms of 911's. Yeah they're probably capable cars for what they are used for (Andrew loves his 944), yet I'd probably never own one of them either, as I've driven 2 944's and wasn't a fan at all, so maybe my expectations were a lot higher than they should have been. 

Though I love an air cooled 911 and have had a few previously, I love the 914 being equally simple and raw.

Can't wait for my 914/6 GT to get on the road, albeit it will have a 2.0 911 motor in it rather than the Type IV it was born with! :) 

You're right @LeeM. To be honest I much prefer the 911 than the 928 to punt around the hills but the 928 is a great cruiser and highway car. Really smooth at 100 ( kilometers of course, nudge, nudge, wink, wink :) ). I've since raised the suspension back to standard and that has made a big difference. I can actually go over a bump at more than snails pace now :) 

I guess it's like any car, buy the best you can afford. I did my research and probably paid a litle more than what the market average was but everything works and so far has not let me down  ( unlike a certain Boxster hey Lee :) ).

Look, I will say it, so please don't beat me up too hard as I bruise easy :) but when you consider that the 928 was the first production clean sheet Porsche and not an evolution of another car, I don't understand why they are not more coveted. Yes they can be expensive to fix but to be honest no more than an AC 911.

Some 928 parts are a lot cheaper than you think.

The one thing I hate about the 928 though is the pedal position. Too far to the right. My old Ferrari was the same but I reckon that was more comfortable than the 928 ( the pedal position, not the seating ).

Would I like mine to have been a manual, yes but my circumstances now dictate an auto but don't let that influence any future buyers decision because the trans when used correctly can give you the same thrills ( ok almost ).

If anyone gets the opportunity to drive one and not just around the block, go for it. The V8 torque can be intoxicating just like Turbo lag then full on boost can be. Forget about what it COULD cost to maintain. If you already have a 911 then that won't bother you.

Right, so all of you 911 owners trade your cars in for a 928 so the prices go to current 911 prices :) :) :) 

Why oh why didn't I keep my 911E :) 

Or selling your Turbo @3legs! Yeah let's not go there with the boxster mate 😉😁 And yeah, that pedal positioning is friggin weird when I sat in yours! As a left foot braker, I'm sure I'd miss the pedal a few times

You do raise a valid point re costs of repairs compared to a 911, coz if mine goes pop, then it will spontaneously combust for some strange reason! 

I’ve been a 911 owner for 30 years ~ and love them; but my early manual ‘78 928 is brilliant. 

To drive an auto 928 in comparison is almost like driving a completely different car. Manual vs Auto in a 928 is chalk & cheese.

" On the other hand, every really drivable car in perfect condition – the 964 Carrera 2, 3.2-litre, 3.0 SC, all with WTL – are very sought-after and I think those have the most potential for appreciation. "

Ok, so any porsche that is driveable and in good condition.  Fascinating insights there!

On 04/12/2021 at 12:37, 3legs said:

You're right @LeeM. To be honest I much prefer the 911 than the 928 to punt around the hills but the 928 is a great cruiser and highway car. Really smooth at 100 ( kilometers of course, nudge, nudge, wink, wink :) ).

I think you have basically answered the question of why 928's haven't seen a similar rise in value right there. I think Porsche is an aspirational brand that is known for performance and motorsport and the 911 is what everyone thinks of as soon as you say Porsche. Not to say that the 928 can't be a great sports car. I have never driven one, but I know they can hold their own. I think it is the same reason that 2wd, manual, coupe 911's, without a sunroof are the most valuable of the regular models even though they were the cheapest new, where the most expensive when new, auto, AWD, cab's are the least valuable down the line. 

BMW 635is occupy a similar spot in the market and aren't that sought after considering what they are.  Same as BMW 8 series - comfortable GT Coupes just don't ever get to the same popularity as sports cars.  Same as the big benz coupes - all would have been cross-shopped back in the day.  

They're not worthless, they still attract decent money and there's a dedicated following.  Just not as much as the sports car market, like 911s, Ferrari 308s, etc etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd contend that in fact 928s have risen, and significantly so. I've been watching them closely several years now. Average 928 S4 which used to fetch 12k now fetch 48k. We've seen in the order of 6 or 7 928 S4 sell this year alone, on carsales alone, in the 60s and 70s. There are only 3 left on carsales at present, at 75k, 76k and 99k. I know at least one of them has already sold. They'll be in the 80s by q1 2022. And that's before discussing the ludicrous selling prices fetched at Shannon's auctions. I'm sure some of you will have seen the black 928 GT which set the buyer back over 130k at the most recent Shannon's auction. Despite having over 200k on the clock, previous accident damage, and clear imperfections to paint and trim. As the owner of a 928 GT, sans such damage, I was pretty wrapt to see this.