EOI: 1976 Carerra 3.0

Hi all,  

been too many years since I last logged in to the forum. 

I couldn’t even remember my password - Or the email address attached - so I setup a new account. 

Dad is chasing any Expresions of Interest in his (matching numbers) 1976 Carerra 3.0

You’ll be able to search for my old posts about the 9er on the forum. 

My user name was “76 C3.0”

heres the rub...

dad is the 3rd owner, having purchased the 911 from a guy in Mount Cotton, Brisbane back in 1994’ish. 

That guy was a car dealer/importer and brought her over from England as his private use car. 

She was originally delivered to a large country estate outside of London and we still have the original papers from the dealership that sold the 9er brand new. 

She's “Platinum Metallic” 

Non-a/c

Original sun roof option

Power windows

manual

tan/sandy cloth and vinyl interior

Original fusch 16in wheels

...basically all original bar the following;

starter motor is out of a Toyota Dyna (yes you read that right). 

The guy who imported it in the 80’s resprayed her in the same platinum metallic colour. 

He also fitted aftermarket a/c which should be easily removed. 

Plus there's an early 90’s radio head and speakers

That’s about it for non-original stuff. 

Now the hard parts:

there is (some) rust to fix But nothing terrible. 

A few spots under the windscreens, some rust in the door sills and a couple of rust spots here and there. 

...probably from our days when she was the family surf van in the late 90's

but the undercarriage is perfect. 

The head mechanic at Porsche BNE said he'd never seen such a clean, straight undercarriage. 

That was when she was 30-years old and she's still the same. 

Yes you can jump straight in and drive but you'd enjoy your hard weekend drives a lot more if you spent a fair chunk on a full restoration. 

And as far as ideal candidates go,she's right up there. 

Now the bigger issue:

She's been in getting about $10,000 worth of engine and running gear work when the Brisbane river decided to up and flood the mechanic. 

She went under.

Up to the top of the gear stick. 

Insurance wrote her off (partly due to the rust also needing attention to pass the safety test). 

Dad's got her back already and in the shed (thanks Shannon's Insurance). 

Plus the mechanic said he'll finish what he started. 

But she needs work to pass the safety certificate for re-registration. 

And Dad has somewhat lost heart and motivation to do the full resto. 

So he's considering selling to someone worthy or mothballing her in the shed. 

Interested in fellow 911 lovers thoughts. 

Sorry to hear this happened to your dad .. must be devastating to those affected by the flood waters.

The only issue I currently see is that because it’s been written off by the insurance company, it cannot be registered for use on the road in Australia any more.

So realistically, the only use for it is as a track car or sold of as spare parts. 😞

I’m sure someone will have a use for it, just not as a weekend warrior.

8 hours ago, Dreamr said:

Sorry to hear this happened to your dad .. must be devastating to those affected by the flood waters.

The only issue I currently see is that because it’s been written off by the insurance company, it cannot be registered for use on the road in Australia any more.

So realistically, the only use for it is as a track car or sold of as spare parts. 😞

I’m sure someone will have a use for it, just not as a weekend warrior.

That's whaat we thought too.

So Dad pressed the insurer and they said he can still re-register the car in Qld.

I think the laws aare yet to come in here as it's not so staight forward in QLD.

There were many Porsches old and new that got written off.

Plenty of AMG Mercedes too.

Dad said to the insurer "if I can't get it back on the road, I'll load it back up and pretend it never happened. Saving the insurere their paayout andd saving the car from the scrap heap"

The insurer said "no, no no, take the payout, take the car and get it back on the road"

i'll try to confirm this with Qld Main Roads - but I think he'll have to act fast on the resto regardless.

21 minutes ago, tomo said:

Doesn't it depend if it is a Statutory W/O or a Repaiable W/O it is here in Vic, I suppose different State different laws.

Same in NT, so don’t scrap it.

While you are thinking, start stripping and cleaning now before it gets smelly and rots.

16 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

Same in NT, so don’t scrap it.

While you are thinking, start stripping and cleaning now before it gets smelly and rots.

Thankfully the carpets and door trims were all out and under the bed at home. They havent been in the car for a few years.

Light weight driving :)

56 minutes ago, tomo said:

Doesn't it depend if it is a Statutory W/O or a Repaiable W/O it is here in Vic, I suppose different State different laws.

Yes that's the big question isn't it.

Stat v's repairable.

She's in the repairable category.

2 hours ago, 76 C.30 said:

That's whaat we thought too.

So Dad pressed the insurer and they said he can still re-register the car in Qld.

I think the laws aare yet to come in here as it's not so staight forward in QLD.

There were many Porsches old and new that got written off.

Plenty of AMG Mercedes too.

Dad said to the insurer "if I can't get it back on the road, I'll load it back up and pretend it never happened. Saving the insurere their paayout andd saving the car from the scrap heap"

The insurer said "no, no no, take the payout, take the car and get it back on the road"

i'll try to confirm this with Qld Main Roads - but I think he'll have to act fast on the resto regardless.

I'm more than happy to stand corrected! .

I certainly hope for both you and the Porsche Community that it's possible to do.

I was under the impression that there was a blanket rule that there were no more repairable write off's in Aus and if paid out and written off by the insurance company, its off to the metal graveyard.

As I said above, happy to be educated otherwise.

3 minutes ago, 76 C.30 said:

Just got off the phone to Shannons insurance.

They said "because the car is 16+ years old it will NOT entered on the WOVR. Further, you can restore and re-register the car, no worries"

This is correct ^^ 

I've been through the process with a car that was a few years off being exempt. 

It was partially disassembled and flooded?  Really not an issue- clean it up, put it back together and get driving.  Water up to the gearbox is practically nothing for an old 911, especially if the engine and interior was out.  They are basic cars with basic electrics.

21 hours ago, 76 C.30 said:

Just got off the phone to Shannons insurance.

They said "because the car is 16+ years old it will NOT entered on the WOVR. Further, you can restore and re-register the car, no worries"

Makes you wonder why the insurance company didnt keep the car as they have already paid you the full value of the vehicle?

Anyhow great news for you.

13 minutes ago, 9er said:

Makes you wonder why the insurance company didnt keep the car as they have already paid you the full value of the vehicle?

Anyhow great news for you.

It’s a condition of Shannon’s, that if the car is over 30 years old and written off, you have the option of keeping the “wreck”...free.

As someone who has pulled these things a part pretty extensively - you will need to open all the cavities, particularly in the sills and wash them out (followed by a long term treatment like Tectyl et al).  I'd be concerned about the front pan as well as there are several 'triple layer' sections.  Flood mud can be corrosive and depending on where your flooding came from, there may be elevated levels of salts.  Sounds like the car was getting fixed up anyway, so this is work that was likely going to happen as part of the restoration in any case.

If the gearbox was still in there, it'll need stripping - there is a breather at the top of the case you'd want to be 100% water didn't trickle in.  Flood silt is like talcum powder, having it spin about a gearbox will wreck it very quickly.  Fortunately the 915 is simple and easily stripped and repaired (change 1/2/3 synchros as a minimum) and I'd be inclined to replace the pinion and input bearings to be sure.

The 911 is a wonderfully "simple" car to restore, however the man-hour costs and Porsche Tax in Australia means it is a really expensive processes now.  But generally economically and personally satisfying.  Good luck with it!

10 hours ago, OZ930 said:

It’s a condition of Shannon’s, that if the car is over 30 years old and written off, you have the option of keeping the “wreck”...free.

Mmm...Not saying you're wrong, but I'd question that one.

To keep the car, my understanding was your agreed value, less the repair cost, and you receive the balance. e:g Value $70k - Repairs $35k - cash payout $35k and you keep the car

27 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Mmm...Not saying you're wrong, but I'd question that one.

To keep the car, my understanding was your agreed value, less the repair cost, and you receive the balance. e:g Value $70k - Repairs $35k - cash payout $35k and you keep the car

That’s what I thought, going by past experience, but the Shannon’s agent assured me that once the car is over 30 years old it’s yours.  With the increasing value of these things, they may have had a rethink.  I will check my policy or be lazy and ring them 😀

44 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

That’s what I thought, going by past experience, but the Shannon’s agent assured me that once the car is over 30 years old it’s yours.  With the increasing value of these things, they may have had a rethink.  I will check my policy or be lazy and ring them 😀

Keep us posted, as I'm probably lazier than you, and will forget to call them  😅

Thanks for finding the information.  I was out by 5 years, oh well.  I wasn’t lazy, just distracted by mowing, repairing the mower and more mowing, then worked on the Porsche, again, still, ongoing saga and completely forgot that I could just look up the policy. 🤪 Derrr

• 3 months later...

UPDATE:

Sorry for going AWOL for a few months.

We've been sorting the car out and now have her running again.

Needed a new (can't think of the name atm) blue BOSCH electronics thingy on the engine bay side wall.

Other than that shes running well - at the shop.

Dad is still interested in offers and you can email/PM me if you're in the market.

I'll try to get some photos from todays visit at the shop and upload