I have an announcement....

withers

Here is my experience living in NSW and buying a Victorian car a few months back:  

I bought the car with 9 months Victorian Rego but no RWC and then drove it home to Sydney.  The seller handed in the notice of disposal to Vicroads on the day I bought the car meaning they were no longer responsible for the vehicle.  The bill of sale should also have all the dates of the sale and both the seller and buyers licence details, signatures etc too.

I then proceeded to get all the required RWC in NSW and simply registered the car from scratch.  I was eligible to cash the Victorian rego in simply by filling out the rego cancellation form from Vicroads and sending them a copy of the receipt I received when I handed the Vic plates to the NSW RTA.  In a crude sort of way this was the equivalent of me actually buying NSW rego with the car...

I don't believe a RWC is required if you are selling to someone from another state simply because that state could not care less for a Vicroads RWC and vice versa.

Cashing the rego in yourself and adjusting the price is one way to look at it however if a potential buyer has traveled a decent distance to look at and buy the car then I would be reluctant to complicate the sale by leaving them with the prospect of attending the vicroads office to organise the permit.

If you can do as JimTT states and on the day of the sale you go together with the buyer to a vicroads office and cancel the rego then organise the 14 day permit for them then you are 100% covered and get some cash back from the rego in some form too.

Either way there should not be a problem, I had no trouble at all buying my car from Melbourne and then establishing new registration in NSW.  Just make sure you complete and submit the notice of disposal then start looking for that Porsche Amanda :)

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last time I did a new reg in QLD the lady couldn't see in the back window due to tinting 

That reminds me , in Tas they said the aftermarket tinting on the 3/4 windows on my 924 was too dark. i.e. get rid of it. It was about 50% dark...ridiculous. Anyway I scraped it all off . Then when I was replacing the seals , one side shattered. $20 perspex later and some templating , we were back in action.

With the 911 , the guy said the seatbelts were not ADR...but he wasn't going to argue with Porsche safety standards , even from '78...so he looked the other way.

Oh the joy of selling a car.....

First it was can I book hotel for them tomorrow?

Then it was can they book one from my house?

And then I've been asked to recommend hotels! Ahhh no, I'm just selling a car. I'm not Flight Centre!

Can they drive the car tomorrow arvo if 'confirm' to buy? Err NO! No money, no drive!

Excellent news, hope it was a bank cheque!

Now the fun begins....

C

A Bank Cheque?  Nah.. personal is fine right, they seemed nice!

:P  :P

Course it was a bank cheque... do you know how many times I've done this?  Actually don't answer that, I'm in the bad books at home in the biggest way.  

Good work! Please keep us posted, the date of the next SMT is based on when you pick up your new wheels - I think everyone would agree that this is a cause for celebration! I'm so very serious...............

I dont know about you, but I am going to p a r t y like its 1999. (party hats will be in order and must be worn at all times)

A Bank Cheque?  Nah.. personal is fine right, they seemed nice!

:P  :P

Course it was a bank cheque... do you know how many times I've done this?  Actually don't answer that, I'm in the bad books at home in the biggest way.  

Can't believe people don't pay in cash anymore!!!!!

Mid $30s Uncle... and that includes my adding some $ via finance. I'm a better repayer than saver, so that works for me.

I have my eye on a 964 Targa Japan import that's in Melbourne. I want to have a look at it. Although I must say, I'm a little concerned about my ability to pick good from bad cars. Lets face it, one can rack up quite a few $ having PPIs done.

I suppose I check paint, look for rust bubbles, straight panels, make sure all electrics work, check out the service documents, see if the car drives nice. Any evidence of water leaks. Tyres. Drive it and see how it goes. And if I like it and buyer seems ok, proceed from there.

Mid $30s Uncle... and that includes my adding some $ via finance. I'm a better repayer than saver, so that works for me.

I have my eye on a 964 Targa Japan import that's in Melbourne. I want to have a look at it. Although I must say, I'm a little concerned about my ability to pick good from bad cars. Lets face it, one can rack up quite a few $ having PPIs done.

I suppose I check paint, look for rust bubbles, straight panels, make sure all electrics work, check out the service documents, see if the car drives nice. Any evidence of water leaks. Tyres. Drive it and see how it goes. And if I like it and buyer seems ok, proceed from there.

I thought you said import cars were a no-no because of finance?

The best test for cars is the first impression test.  If it looks right, it's probably worth investigating further.  A good car should look good.

Once they have passed that one, and then a drive test, then you can go further.   A drive test is simple : a good car should drive well.

Never accept an excuse for anything - squeaky brakes, rattly windows, clunky steering, noisy engines-  people selling cars will say things like 'oh, that's just an adjustment' or 'they all do that'.    Anything that can be adjusted before offering a car for sale will have been.  Chances are 'they all do that' means 'they all do that when the maintenance isn't kept up'.

I have gone to look at cars with a checklist in my hand.  I've had sniggers from car dealers doing so, but it saves you from sitting bolt upright in bed thinking 'I didn't check the spare tyre' and thoughts like that.   Armed with a checklist and a modicum of knowledge, you're already miles ahead of the average buyer, who really wouldn't have the first clue.

Archived