This is a game called 'WTF is that?!'

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

So I met an old duck at the local classic car gathering. She had a boyfriend , seen next to this mystery car - which I would say is from the mid 1930s. There are hints of Riley and Aston (the big brakes!) about it but as yet I am stumped. Any offers?

The boat-tail , bonnet louvres , screen and dash should be useful clues . And yes , maybe it was a bespoke special , thus defying all attempts to pinpoint it.

vintage%20X.jpg

Jaguar SS100 from between 1936 and 1940 with an "Old No. 8" replica aero body maybe?

Perhaps the most venerated Jaguar SS 100 in competition was one owned and modified by the factory itself. Known to Jaguar enthusiasts as "Old No. 8;' from its chassis number 18008, it began as the 2.7-liter street car that won the top prize in the 1936 International Alpine Trial, a grueling long-distance Continental road rally.

Bit by bit, over the next several years it was hopped up and stripped down for track work. It lost its fenders for better aerodynamics, but gained a 3.5 engine. For better weight distribution, its engine was moved back in the chassis and both its axles were moved forward.

In 1937 it won a race at the old Brooklands banked speedway at 118 mph. Two years later it lapped the same track at 125. Running on a 14.0:1 compression ratio and exotic fuels, it showed 169 horsepower at 4250 rpm on the test bed.

Development resumed after World War II, and in 1947 the engine was made to put out 171 horsepower at 4500 rpm. Even then people couldn't keep their hands off the grand old thing, and a later owner reported he'd turned it to 4800 rpm on a chassis dyno, at which rate the reading was 172 horsepower at the rear wheels. He reckoned that meant about 215 at the flywheel. Old No. 8 was then over 30 years of age

The lady told me her gentleman friend went on to have 8 children. "I'm glad I didn't marry him ; life might have got too busy" she said.

I'll endeavour to find out a bit more about when and where the pic was taken.

• 1 month later...

:lol: would be hilarious to show up at a Ferrari meet in that…….whether you would be alive at the end of the day is another thing.

Threaten to show up at all the Ferrari meetings unless they buy it ! (at an inflated price of course)

Whoever did this obviously has some fabrication skills and a good eye for detail (couldn't see the fire extinguisher though)….. just wasted on this

…or was it an "up yours" effort ?

• 2 weeks later...

By George (my godfather's name) you're right!

I should have picked it.

They are very rare down these parts , not sure why. Then again,  most of the Beetles seem to have gone underground in recent years.

Maybe everything air cooled is just too precious to drive now?

This was my 1960 KG

356 wheels (yes, I should have kept them!) with a 1600 dual port in it. Had some crappy later seats in it, no exterior body trims and a few other annoying little things that werent original, but it was a great car. It's in Victoria now

26112010285.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived