For Sale - A Boxster Bargain?

We have listed our 2005 987.1 for sale, as we have just upgraded to a near new 718.

We have owned this car for about 6 years and have used it solely for outings with the Porsche Car Club and touring the wonderful state of Tasmania. Full details can be found on the CarSales listing if interested.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2005-porsche-boxster-987-auto-my05/SSE-AD-15286411/?Cr=0

DSC00018.thumb.JPG.700885fc6377d64107b249bff1b9b5c0.JPG

Hey 42 South, good luck with the sale. Curious to hear your thoughts on why you prefer the 718 over the 987? I can't speak for a 718, however I have a 987 Boxster as well and I had a test drive of a 981 and other than the gear shifter, I really didn't like it much at all. It felt like I was driving my Volkswagen Golf for the most part - not the driving experience I wanted from a Porsche.

Hi Sabotage, the 981, even though slightly older than the 718, is roughly the same price based on similar mileage in the used car market, but when you look at the output of the 718 it appears to have a significant torque advantage:-

image.png.fe39f1eee38d56b4bd61d40fac16885d.png

It is also the more modern vehicle compared to the 987 & 981. We were after a very low mileage car, and picked up a very nice example that also comes with some $28K of options. From what I could see on CarSales, options seem to make very little difference in the second hand price.

We recently did a round Tassie trip with the car club, and the 987, whilst being very quick. just didn't have the punch coming out of corners and up hill compared to the others in our group (a mix of 718's, 987S, 981 and GT3 etc.)

We also have a Macan S and the PDK box is so much better than the tiptronic in my view. 

Nevertheless, we have really enjoyed our time with the 987 and it is a great entry level vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, 42 South said:

Now sold - going to Northern Tassie.....

What's your thoughts of the 718 compared to the 987 in the noise department?

The handling and power/torque would obviously superior but does it give the fizz of the NA Boxsters and Caymans

Asking for a friend😎

15 hours ago, sjm said:

The handling and power/torque would obviously superior but does it give the fizz of the NA Boxsters and Caymans

Asking for a friend😎

Still treading very gently with the new car, but I actually don't mind the different sound and feel - it has both the sports chrono package and the sports exhaust. Plenty of gurgles and pops from the exhaust when engaged and you can also program the "individual mode" if you want to reduce the noise, yet retain the shifts and response. Sport Plus mode appears to be a very dangerous option! In standard mode you can really feel the benefit of the additional torque.

The tyre pressure recommendations between the two cars are very different (both run 19" wheels) - the 987 has a high pressure bias towards the rear, whilst the 718 is much softer all around. Currently running 36 psi, whereas recommendation is about 31 psi all around. Tyres are new Goodyear Eagle F1's which are the same as on the 987. Road noise seems to be less but that could be expected with a tighter body and with roof up it is definately more refined and quieter.

Good to hear some feedback on the 718. I think many people overlook them when shopping for the Cayman/Boxster, which is a shame.

Tyre pressures are a bit strange, especially the rear. Maybe stiffer sidewalls on the newer Goodyears.

On 18/07/2023 at 16:38, sjm said:

Asking for a friend😎

We drove a 718S PDK when considering whether we would upgrade from our 981 PDK (which was itself an upgrade from a manual 987S).  Ours is a standard 981, and my immediate thoughts after purchase were that the smaller 981 engine had much more get up and go than the larger engined 987S.  Different engine note, but still flat 6 sweet (both standard exhausts) - higher pitched in the 981,  lower growl in the 987 .

In trying the 718, aside from the engine note which was somewhat disappointing, our immediate feeling was that the 718 didn't have as nicer driving dynamics without having to really stick the boot in.  The 981 had immediate torque for around town driving, and an immediate torque hit if you had to plant the foot for a zippy lane change.  To get the same getup and go the 718 had to kick down a couple of gears and wait for the turbo to spool up, certainly it felt like a slower response.  Once the turbo kicked in, then there was of course much more power.   A switchable sports exhaust may well improve the engine note and engine response. 

It appeared to us, that in the quest for improved fuel consumption for the 718 to meet European standards etc, that the PDK is programmed to get into as high a gear as possible, as soon as possible, which has the consequence of it needing to change down to get the power hit.

Now we only drove the 718 for an hour, so I'm sure you would very quickly get used to it's characteristics, and it would seem completely normal, but for us, the 981 was a big improvement on the 987, but the 718 wasn't as nice a car to drive.  We've kept the 981.....

Agree with turbo lag, it’s always going to be an issue compared to NA. For hills driving the non turbo engine is more responsive. 718’s seem to be holding their value (at least according to Carsales) with the 981 more affordable.