Considering changing cars

Hi everyone,

Seeking opinions for the brains trust on this as I'm considering selling my 2.7 911S to purchase a Carrera 2.7 MFI

My 911S is Australian delivered with the original engine but has had a transmission change and a colour change, actually it's had a lot of changes 😂 but I wouldn't have it any other way 😃

The Carrera was delivered in Germany so is LHD and has had an engine case change although it is from another MFI Carrera.

I may go and see the car tomorrow but from what I can tell it is in comparable condition to what I have.

Interested on people's thoughts as it's keeping me awake at night 😴

IMG_4670.JPG

911 Carrera.png

7 minutes ago, Yeatesy said:

Hi everyone,

Seeking opinions for the brains trust on this as I'm considering selling my 2.7 911S to purchase a Carrera 2.7 MFI

My 911S is Australian delivered with the original engine but has had a transmission change and a colour change, actually it's had a lot of changes 😂 but I wouldn't have it any other way 😃

The Carrera was delivered in Germany so is LHD and has had an engine case change although it is from another MFI Carrera.

I may go and see the car tomorrow but from what I can tell it is in comparable condition to what I have.

Interested on people's thoughts as it's keeping me awake at night 😴

IMG_4670.JPG

911 Carrera.png

You would have to like lefty driving ,And you you have a special car, Tough call.

A change is nice, but that just seems like a change in the wrong direction. Neither is original and you have said you love your car as it is? Unless you are getting a lot of cash in your pocket after the deal and that is what you need more than the car you love, I would just continue to make your car into your ideal...

4 minutes ago, MFX said:

A change is nice, but that just seems like a change in the wrong direction. Neither is original and you have said you love your car as it is? Unless you are getting a lot of cash in your pocket after the deal and that is what you need more than the car you love, I would just continue to make your car into your ideal...

Thanks Jeff, sound advice and there wouldn’t be any cash back.

I’ve now got 2 LHD cars and don’t notice the difference. If anything, the LHD cars are more comfortable due to the pedals bring in the right place. 

Different case or not, a 2.7 MFI is still a 2.7 MFI - mega car, if not one of the best. If you have the opportunity I’d be definitely considering it but note the MFI cars do require a little more fettling to get them ‘right’ and the people that know MFI are becoming pretty scarce. 

Do your homework re pricing and pay accordingly. 

I'm personally a fan of these type of examples provided you can buy them right, a few knocks against them keep the collectors away but they are perfect for the driver types! 

As Hugh has said, an MFI Carrera is a mega car! In the lineage of 911's with motorsport pedigree, it doesn't really get much better! 

I wouldn’t bother unless you really want a green car. I don’t know any mfi car that isn’t churning through twice as much fuel as it should. They need to be driven and most if not all of the ones I know are. 

If it was that good it would have sold by now. Yes in the states there are some record numbers that you can search for of recent times- why isn’t this one priced as such? It’s not in the states or Europe and it’s probably the example also. 

Call me bias, well I guess I’m not as I currently don’t own one but a carrera 3.0 is better more reliable. As flava flave said don’t believe the hype. Maybe if I had a mfi I’d be biased to them also! 

ps. I’m also a fan of following your desires with cars- don’t die wondering. Green cars are the best.

I think it comes down to if you're after an original 2.7 MFI car for all the obvious reasons and you get your giggles from that, or if you'd be happy with one you could build with the character and perhaps better performance than the MFI car for a little less outlay. 

I built my version from a converted straight US car (SC) and now have a car with more performance and reliability but looks like a 74-75 Carrera. You're just about there with the car you have. 

Thanks everyone for your opinions, that’s exactly what I was after. I went and had a good look over the car yesterday on the way to the F1’s.

It presents exceptionally well as it has been restored over a long period of time but a few things don’t add up so I’ll continue to investigate and report back.

IMG_5383.jpeg

IMG_5380.jpeg

Ok so it’s a German delivered 75 Carrera 2.7 MFI Coupe with an engine from an Australian delivered 74 Carrera 2.7 MFI Targa. This is a photo of the chassis number and it doesn’t look original to me 🤔

IMG_5370.jpeg

13 hours ago, Peter John said:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-porsche-carrera-21/

vin looks same as this car. Run your fingers underneath for any welds

Thank you, yes it does look the same as that one but different to mine and a couple of others I’ve checked.

IMG_5532.jpeg

2 hours ago, cafe_racer said:

Now that’s some detective work! 

id suggest back away from this ones yatesy. Just seems to be a few too many red flags. 

More 🚩 than at Albert Park this weekend!

On 24/03/2024 at 11:52, mrar said:

Can you list all the red flags?

Ok this is what I have discovered from spending 20 minutes looking over the car and some research since.

Built December 1974 and is German delivered LHD car (I have no issue with this).

Was originally 249 Vipergrundiamant (Viper Green Metallic) which was a 1974-1977 colour and is now painted in 225 Vipergrun (Viper Green) which was a 1972-1973 colour and I saw plenty of evidence that the car had also been Guards Red at some point. 🚩#1

The engine is from a 1973 built Australian delivered Carrera targa & I was told the car came to Australia from the US with this engine fitted 🚩#2

The aluminium plate which shows the model and chassis number on the inner guard is missing 🚩#3

There is no import plate 🚩#4

There is no history for the car although I was told there are some invoices for the engine 🚩#5

That's probably enough for most buyers to be turned away which explains why the car hasn't sold when it's half the price of an Australian delivered car so definitely more red flags than at Albert Park on the weekend!

It's not uncommon for early cars to have a less than perfect history, many have been resprayed (numerous times), different engines etc. It's just a case of doing your homework and being able to evaluate the car/pricing accordingly. Not all have an import plate either depending on when they were imported. 

If everything was perfect it would be another 150-200k more expensive. 

1 hour ago, hugh said:

It's not uncommon for early cars to have a less than perfect history, many have been resprayed (numerous times), different engines etc. It's just a case of doing your homework and being able to evaluate the car/pricing accordingly. Not all have an import plate either depending on when they were imported. 

If everything was perfect it would be another 150-200k more expensive. 

Yeap all valid points there Hugh, I'm not concerned by the LHD or the non-matching numbers engine, but the lack of history makes me question if the stamped chassis number is correct. At least I know what I have with my car, yes it's been repainted but it's an Australian delivered car with the original engine, if only it had MFI 😊

1 hour ago, mrar said:

I noticed the plate missing (there are other build numbers to look for)

Drive it, get it checked out by someone who knows what they are looking at if you like it.

Engine regardless is a 911/83, tagga or not.

Mine was green/red now yellow.

Or just go buy the rhd one at porsh den that i saw was fs $640k was the ask i think.

Where are the other build numbers?

Yeap I've confirmed it's a 911/83 engine and it has just been rebuilt so that's a big plus.

Mine was white and is now yellow and at least if the chassis number is correct it was a version of Viper Green originally.

Haha this would be the only MFI Carrera I could afford.

The vin plate is OK, the car has all the right bits. No it is not all original but it is a correct roughy hence price. But price wise you could have a nice hotrod that looks the same and could go better, just have to fight the lure of the mystical 2.7 MFI awesomeness (which is relevant against stock offerings not hotrod performance)

You could buy that and spend more making it what it should be, it still wouldn't have its original engine but many don't now anyway, it's a driver as is.