Something similar but completely the other way Amanda.

I recently replaced the struts and tie rods in my DD.

Took it in for a wheel alignment.

Guy comes out 'who did this work!'

'I did'

'Oh. Well, you didn't do the tie-rod end nut up properly, and you need to also replace x, y and z.  That was very unsafe'

Well, I did drive 2 km to get a wheel alignment done, so no great problem, I knew someone would be double checking it.  He thought he was going to tear some other workshop a new one and win a customer but he kind of fizzled, ten gave me the sort of look professional guys reserve for amateur DIYers like me with cheap tools and too much bravado.  The parts he wanted to replace are fine but they never miss the chance to try and win a job.

The truth of it is that usually I double check everything and most of the mistakes are made by people in the trade doing their 10th oil change for the day and forgetting to torque the plug properly or overfilling oil - or, in your case, forgetting the ball joint nuts after their 20th mini clutch replacement.

Something similar but completely the other way Amanda.

I recently replaced the struts and tie rods in my DD.

Took it in for a wheel alignment.

Guy comes out 'who did this work!'

'I did'

'Oh. Well, you didn't do the tie-rod end nut up properly, and you need to also replace x, y and z.  That was very unsafe'

Well, I did drive 2 km to get a wheel alignment done, so no great problem, I knew someone would be double checking it.  He thought he was going to tear some other workshop a new one and win a customer but he kind of fizzled, ten gave me the sort of look professional guys reserve for amateur DIYers like me with cheap tools and too much bravado.  The parts he wanted to replace are fine but they never miss the chance to try and win a job.

The truth of it is that usually I double check everything and most of the mistakes are made by people in the trade doing their 10th oil change for the day and forgetting to torque the plug properly or overfilling oil - or, in your case, forgetting the ball joint nuts after their 20th mini clutch replacement.

Oh well at least you caught it - or the wheel alignment dude did :)

They certainly did not do 20 clutch replacements in the 3 days they had my car.   I don't really care if they have did 400 clutch replacements that day,  they have the responsibility of putting every nut/bolt back where it came from, to ensure that EVERY car leaves the dealer safe and in road worthy condition.  

Went to Porsche Melbourne today to see the 918. Got there and instead I see a 919 in the window as I'm pulling up to park. Get inside to find 919 is just a mock up and there's no 918. Made the most of it by checking out everything else they had on the showroom floor.

Just opened Facebook and saw that 11 hours ago Porsche Brighton posted a pic of the 918 announcing "look what has arrived". Grrrrr.

Amanda, I think I've mentioned this before. Don't use BMW mechanics. Esp if you are out of warranty. Find a good indie and you are less likely to have these problems.

Its a shame that your experience with the mini has been so difficult :(

WOW... in a bad way.

So my MINI has been making a knocking sound in the front drivers side wheel. Would happen when the wheel was turned right with a bit of throttle applied, then you'd occasionally hear it do it over the odd bump. It didn't sound good to me at all, so I booked it in to have it looked at by the clubmini vic member preferred mechanic. Great bloke, but an hour away from me.

So he jacks the car up, pulls the wheel off has a bit of a look and within a few mins I hear some things like

"you've gotta be kidding" "this isn't good"

So turns out when the clutch was replaced by a BMW dealer, they left out one of the outer ball joint bolts!

I've been on club runs in this car (prior to it making the noise or my noticing it) and driven it hard on these runs! I don't need to tell you guys how potentially dangerous this was. In fact, I feel really bothered by it.. its rocked me a bit.

Anyways, he tightened up the bolt, found a temp one and fitted that for me.. and also put the car on a hoist and made sure nothing else was a miss. And he also rang the dealer (he used to work there) and has filled them in on what has happened - I'll take the car back Tuesday morning.

This is just unacceptable. They are lucky there's a long weekend and I can't do anything about it today because I think I'd have gone postal in the dealership. Wow.. I'm speechless.

Wow, Amanda, that is very very ordinary. Unreal actually. Think I would be popping back to the dealership and asking what happened.

I am on Tuesday,  the indie i used today used to work for this dealership. So he contacted his guy there and told them what happened, they are expecting me.  The manager won't be having a good day.

Amanda, I think I've mentioned this before. Don't use BMW mechanics. Esp if you are out of warranty. Find a good indie and you are less likely to have these problems.

Its a shame that your experience with the mini has been so difficult :(

i have a good indie Tit. I only used them for the special they ran on a new clutch.  NEVER again.  What a joke.

Now that there's a new bolt in there, amazing how much better the car feels. Some of the noises I was hearing I think were related to the instability in the suspension. Even the A/C noise seems to have gone away.  I also think they may have loosened up the PS hoses causing the leak I had.

Unbelievable. It's not the car - its those idiots!

• 2 weeks later...

I went along to the German car day in Perth today.

Sunday morning in Perth is usually pretty quiet on the roads(!), but on my way to the meeting point, which was opposite the WACA in East Perth, I the roads around the cbd have been partially blocked off because of a cycling event / race.

This in itself caused me some angst as I couldn't get to the BP I prefer to use, but I got over that quickly.

Great turn out and lots of cars. Then it all turned sour.. The departure at around 9.45 was a nightmare. Because of the all road closures everyone was using the outer roads, namely around East Perth, to get around. Add a contingent of fine German automobiles and you get grid lock! And I mean grid lock. If you're from Sydney you would have been proud.

45 minutes stopped in traffic and I hadn't travelled more than 400m. Great way to spend a Sunday... And if I had have seen a large pelleton of professional cyclists I might not have been so pissed off, but all I saw were literally a handful of cyclists out for a leasurely Sunday ride.. Typical Perth.

Now where was that thread which had the rant about cyclists..!!

Now Norm I'm going to tread on your bunions by saying "1st world problem"!

But I feel your pain. I missed a club drive day to the southwest wilderness , due to another commitment.

For both of us there will be more opportunities for our fine motors.

I went crabbing today with some family members. 12 of us went out and we came back with 8 lousy crabs. Fortunately one of the rellies brought an esky full of cooked ones he caught yesterday. Still, nearly 3 hour round trip for 8 frigging crabs. And to cap it off I got stuck behind someone doing 90 in a 150 zone on port Wakefield road.

I was too sore to compete in my 3 nominated events at the state aths titles today. I'm not really angry or cross or annoyed,  just not willing to accept the body can't take what I'd like to dish out to it! (I did do 4 events yesterday).

The next pre-season's got a thing coming,  I can tell you.

I went crabbing today with some family members. 12 of us went out and we came back with 8 lousy crabs. Fortunately one of the rellies brought an esky full of cooked ones he caught yesterday. Still, nearly 3 hour round trip for 8 frigging crabs. And to cap it off I got stuck behind someone doing 90 in a 150 zone on port Wakefield road.

I'm with BB Chris, 150 k zone.....?sensational No wonder you got pizzed off with the 90 k driver....

The bureaucracy known as the RMS.... trying to re-register my G Wagen in NSW is proving to be a head f&$% 

• It's a early W463 which was delivered new in UK NO Aussie delivery of this vintage
  • Imported to Australia in 98, yellow plated and registered in NSW until 2014. 
  • Went to VIC for 12 months
  • It has come back to NSW
  • It needs a blueslip.. okay, very well
  • I cannot get a blueslip without a engineers certificate because the previous registration noted an engineers report for (wait for it...) child restraint anchor points. 

Fair enough lets chase that up, keeping in mind the anchor points are installed and previously engineered. We just don't have the document. 

I tried about 5 engineers, they all told me something different! One even went as far as saying I'd need to have my rear seat load tested at a cost of $2k and could take weeks, one told me I need to install a bar with the anchors on it, one never got back to me, the last guy I got hold of after explaining my situation told me "based on what you are telling me, I can't see the problem and I don't think you need to do anything. Bring the car over" So I did, when he looked at it he knew right away what the car was as he'd done work with the ADF W461's inspected the anchors and signed it off on the spot. 

I'll note my 91 model W463 rear seat and anchor setup is the EXACT same as a 2015 W463. 

Why does it have to that hard? I wasted a week so far and still no registration because the RMS doesn't recognise the VIN that has been in their system for nearly 20 years.... 

Oh my..... I need a scotch after all this! 

And just to confuse the matter, there is "authorised child restraint fitting stations" they can install and certify fitting of anchors to any car yet that certificate is not good enough. Seriously go and figure it out. 

/Rant

I'm with BB Chris, 150 k zone.....?sensational No wonder you got pizzed off with the 90 k driver....

Oh, haha, oops, I meant it's a 110 zone.  Yeah, that's it, 110.  ;) 

They've put point to point cameras along there now, between Two Wells and Dublin.  Same on the Southeastern Freeway - PTP cameras between Mt Barker & Callington now.  So that's no longer a "150 zone" either. :(

Oh, haha, oops, I meant it's a 110 zone.  Yeah, that's it, 110.  ;)

They've put point to point cameras along there now, between Two Wells and Dublin.  Same on the Southeastern Freeway - PTP cameras between Mt Barker & Callington now.  So that's no longer a "150 zone" either. :(

Bugga.....Thought it was too good to be true. :(     

It's evident that Uncle is a man of many talents.

One talent that I didn't know about until Saturday, that has now reached legendary status on Performanceforum.com is a vent about a recalcitrant lawnmower.

A quick Google search had it located and it is simply to good a piece of contemporary art not to share.

However this link comes with the following warnings:
EXTREME LANGUAGE - Now, I'm not talking about a few misspelt works here but the link title will give you a taste of what's to come. If in doubt, I suggest you move along to a safer place like "What did you do to your Porsche today?"
CHOKING HAZARD - Don't be eating or drinking when you click the link.

The photos of his handiwork are the icing on this vent.  Love the stab holes in the fuel tank.

http://performanceforums.com/forums/showthread.php?67222531-Start-You-Cunt

Thanks Uncle.

uncle is internet famous! and you don't even need to be registered to read it

kunofamower001.jpg

when you're done there you can move onto the Wayne Besanko/Powerchip/Gearbox/Cargraphic Headers 'event'

I did go back outside and was thinking of how I should burn the mower when the missus came home and asked what I was doing,she saw the phillipshead still sticking out the top of the mower and worked out what happend and that I was geting ready to set fire to it and stopped me.

Pretty tame outburst really ; this Victor(ian) guy wrote the book on venting as I'm sure many of you know.

You need to try harder Uncle. Flames. Flames would be good , and crushing too.

It's dead anyway so you may as well cremate & bury it.

Surprised a puny lawnmower defeated you  ;) Well there's always a reward for those in need of soul ointment