Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

The black 944 is my car and the fuchs are still in my possesion and fitted to my 912 Tassieman? not sure where you got the idea I had parted with them? maybe you know something I dont?

Sorry mate but they were parted from the 944 , which for me would be a deal breaker knowing the price of good Fuchs. 944s with Fuchs are pretty rare.

Now why can't you get that motor going? The PO said it went pretty well. If I didn't already have a 944 myself I'd have bought it from him as it's a good car and as I intimated , a good buy for someone on this forum.

About 85. I think I can give you a breakdown on colours too if interested. There was less c2s' than turbos sold.....

How did I know this was coming!!!

Bit slow Chris.............he asked at 8:32 this morning.

Jobs 1, Head studs (people take ~35 hrs to do this and other stuff whilst they're at it...and need a few special tools) 2. Repaint (for those who are both mechanically minded and a dab hand with a spray gun (and can repair rust) or have a spare10-15k for a proper job .3. Seats have covers , are probably split , some upholstery work needed 4. General stuff to do, probably brakes and suspension and electrical  <_< oh and it's a leprous LHD too.

No wonder as a pensioner he is struggling to pay what has to be done to make this a good 911 . But hey the car has cold AC,  so that's a plus!

Mind you there are several teenagers on Rennlist tackling 928s whilst working for $10/hr.

For 10k start point you could put together a nice track car with ghetto paint job.

Uncle???

Nope next car needs to be either G50 or 930 4 speed. 

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-2804667 interesting to see this back. Has anyone had a look?

As for the reason for the sale... The Wife has "reached the threshold" and as she put it "your penchant for cars and bikes has caused me to question the validity of our relationship"

If my wife talked in that strange manner she would be on gumtree post haste.

Jobs 1, Head studs (people take ~35 hrs to do this and other stuff whilst they're at it...and need a few special tools) 2. Repaint (for those who are both mechanically minded and a dab hand with a spray gun (and can repair rust) or have a spare10-15k for a proper job .3. Seats have covers , are probably split , some upholstery work needed 4. General stuff to do, probably brakes and suspension and electrical  <_< oh and it's a leprous LHD too.

No wonder as a pensioner he is struggling to pay what has to be done to make this a good 911 . But hey the car has cold AC,  so that's a plus!

Mind you there are several teenagers on Rennlist tackling 928s whilst working for $10/hr.

For 10k start point you could put together a nice track car with ghetto paint job.

Uncle???

Poor pensioner is so penniless he can't afford to switch off the Caps Lock.

BTW the bit of rust you can see is never the entirety of the rust that exists.  There is no such thing as 'surface rust'.

Are we really at $60k for a 996 turbo? While any dodgy 196x 911 bitza will command the same price or higher?

The world is upside down.

It's quite amazing...His wife answered the call for the add so I think she's running the process!

Wonder how much more downside there is here with a high KM car?

Not a Porsche... but I would love to get back into some American muscle one day, this thing is gorgeous and well priced imo.

cp5346823806964173822.jpg?height=700&asp

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=SSE-AD-2648543&Cr=7 

*disclaimer** I may or may not be a redneck   :ph34r:

Are we really at $60k for a 996 turbo? While any dodgy 196x 911 bitza will command the same price or higher?

The world is upside down.

You're not bloody wrong.... well it is good news for buyers of water-cooled, I've noticed Turbo prices have fallen hard recently! 

Wonder how much more downside there is here with a high KM car?

Here is a question running through the minds of used car prospectors.

When does a 996 turbo (albeit with the Metzger engine) require significant engine work?

People researching 964s and earlier will be aware of many stories of at least top end rebuilds from 100.000-150.000km.

As these older cars are bought with cold hard cash , what is lurking in a 164,000km 996 turbo , one which I'm sure has been driven gently on Sundays? Are they indeed "bulletproof"? And what is the expected maintenance cost after 164,000km?

Common maintenance (both failure and preventative) on the water-cooled Mezger cars is typically: RMS leaks, the metal coolant fittings that are epoxied in have a tendency to walk out under hard use (ie: track days) and dump all the coolant so the fix is to weld them to the housings or pin them in and while you are in there and have the motor out you may as well replace the water pump (they can cause issues), all the rubber coolant hoses and chuck a new clutch in.... oh and upgrade the LSD if you are so inclined :lol:

So you can see the Mezger is not without its faults... but a lot of that is preventative, still costly! I'm not sure if the turbos create much extra drama better ask a turbo owner. 

Internally... these motors are virtually bullet proof, you want to pull DME out and check for type 2 over revs to see if the car has been abused or not. 

996 has a lot going against it;

- first of the water cooled cars

- developed at a time when Porsche was short of money

- immediately prior to one of the best looking 911's ever made 997.1 (imo)

- IMS issues tarnishing the 996 in general

- and #1 with a bullet, the headlights.

If you can buy a 996.1 GT3 at ~90k, Turbo has to be worth less (again imo).

Common maintenance (both failure and preventative) on the water-cooled Mezger cars is typically: RMS leaks, the metal coolant fittings that are epoxied in have a tendency to walk out under hard use (ie: track days) and dump all the coolant so the fix is to weld them to the housings or pin them in and while you are in there and have the motor out you may as well replace the water pump (they can cause issues), all the rubber coolant hoses and chuck a new clutch in.... oh and upgrade the LSD if you are so inclined :lol:

So you can see the Mezger is not without its faults... but a lot of that is preventative, still costly! I'm not sure if the turbos create much extra drama better ask a turbo owner. 

Internally... these motors are virtually bullet proof, you want to pull DME out and check for type 2 over revs to see if the car has been abused or not.

Edgy

Youre not right with the assertion that Mezger engines suffer RMS issues. They do not. It is the inferior later edition naturally aspirated motors used in the Boxsters, and 996's, that had this problem, and which require the IMS bearing repair sometimes.

The Mezger is bulletproof, having been used in narurally aspirated and turbo engined 911's since the 1970's. Capable of taking quite high horsepower tunes while still using standard bottom end components, they have earned a reputation for reliability even when turbocharged.

Quite honestly, there is no comparison between the Mezger, the later 996/Boxster engine, and the 991 series engine used today. The Mezger beats them hands down.

The one downside of the Mezger is the cost of rebuilding it properly if you manage to wear it out. The sheer number of components within it add up both in parts cost, and time to repair, making it an expensive proposition. This is the main reason, other than noise and emmission issues, that made Porsche move on. Porsche wanted to find a cheaper way to go forward, and has successively eliminated componenets by design in each successive motor series.

Im sticking with my Mezgers, and so is the smart money. Look at the current rod bolt issue with GT3's for yet another reason why.

Edgy

Youre not right with the assertion that Mezger engines suffer RMS issues. They do not. It is the inferior later edition naturally aspirated motors used in the Boxsters, and 996's, that had this problem, and which require the IMS bearing repair sometimes.

The Mezger is bulletproof, having been used in narurally aspirated and turbo engined 911's since the 1970's. Capable of taking quite high horsepower tunes while still using standard bottom end components, they have earned a reputation for reliability even when turbocharged.

Quite honestly, there is no comparison between the Mezger, the later 996/Boxster engine, and the 991 series engine used today. The Mezger beats them hands down.

The one downside of the Mezger is the cost of rebuilding it properly if you manage to wear it out. The sheer number of components within it add up both in parts cost, and time to repair, making it an expensive proposition. This is the main reason, other than noise and emmission issues, that made Porsche move on. Porsche wanted to find a cheaper way to go forward, and has successively eliminated componenets by design in each successive motor series.

Im sticking with my Mezgers, and so is the smart money. Look at the current rod bolt issue with GT3's for yet another reason why.

I should note.. it is not "common" for them to leak (but they do, seems to be more of a US thing?). Lots of guys do it as a preventative maintenance and utilise the RSR's RMS instead because it is different (improved) and designed to be used with the RSR crankcase breather valve about 5-10HP gain for this mod (should you chose to do it. 

The link to this mod is here to save clogging this thread: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/226469-rsr-crankcase-breather.html

You would probably agree that if buying a well used water-cooled car aside from service history, you really want the DME readouts to check its over rev history.. type 2 over revs is what makes these motors live a shorter life.. both turbo and NA.