Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Seemed like a good idea at the time.....

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1972/SSE-AD-2945441/?Cr=56&sdmvc=1

Before: Started life as a 72 Viper Green longhood....

1972-Porsche-911S-2400cc-_2_org.jpg

And......After! Updated to SC

cp5542236441423233333.jpg?height=700&asp

Still seems like a nice car, but I would have loved it left alone....  

Is it worth the time and money to try to turn back time on this one.....?

Does any one know this car?

Thinking about it as a weekend driver/backdate"

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1983/SSE-AD-2941509/?Cr=23&sdmvc=1

It came out on an SMT with us on one occasion and from memory it had a very small fuel tank - just depends how far your planning to drive for your weekend.  :)

Seemed like a good idea at the time.....

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1972/SSE-AD-2945441/?Cr=56&sdmvc=1

Before: Started life as a 72 Viper Green longhood....

1972-Porsche-911S-2400cc-_2_org.jpg

And......After! Updated to SC

cp5542236441423233333.jpg?height=700&asp

Still seems like a nice car, but I would have loved it left alone....

Is it worth the time and money to try to turn back time on this one.....?

How good is the conversion? Unlikely... Not with the current buy price... And seems everything 72 got deleted engine incuded?

Green longhood '72 is worth what , now?

An uncanny comparison http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/showthread.php?102389-FS-1972-Porsche-911T-Coupe-w-A-C-matching-number-project-car&highlight=1972

T,E 50k -100k ++

S++++ ?

Green longhood '72 is worth what , now?

A very respected and knowledgeable 901'er values a great T at $100k in this market.

http://www.typ901.org/showthread.php?t=5172

Other considerations,

- the car being discussed is a US import,

- arguably worth more if returned to LHD,

- '72 unique for their single model year external oil filler and mid mounted oil tank,

- if truly rust free would save big bucks for a resto.

That famed oil tank! It's like the "million dollar view"! I wonder if I can backdate my oil tank and add some value?

Yes I tend to agree.

I've never heard anyone say "I want to buy a '72 because it has an external oil filler".  It's more '72 owners saying "mine has got the external oil tank".

No offence to '72 owners, and definitely not all '72 owners say this. :D

Having said that, it is a nice story and a good example of Porsche striving for peak performance.

The cost of finding all the parts to return to 72 spec would be prohibitive- maybe if you had a rusty basket case and made one car from two.  Everything has been replaced with SC spec stuff-  even the steering wheel.  All the brightwork (assuming it wasn't just painted over) - mirrors, trims, bumpers, panels, even the oil filler door - stuff like that is not going to be easy to find.

I mean, with the prices they way they are, you could do it and get ahead I guess.  But if the original engine and injection is gone (says it has a 2.7) then the finished value isn't going to be as strong.

On top of all that, it's going to take some time and you have to bet that prices don't soften while you get done.

I"m an avid reader of this thread......and it's got me stupmed.

Why would one pay:

c. $89k for a 964

c. $100k for a 3.2

or any of the recent prices quoted in this thread, suprises me.

Some of these cars are approaching 200,000 kms too; second hand, old, cars. 911's yes, but they are old cars with high km and will require substantial recomissioning at some point.

This seems crazy especially when a Metzger engined Turbo or Mk1 GT3 could be had for 'round-abouts' the same money, if you looked hard.

When a given 964 is 200,000 km and 30 years old, and a comparative Mk1 GT3 is 20 years old with 100,000 km on the clock, which example will everone want then? I'm ony talking 6 or 7 years away.....

Nuts ? - discuss.

(oh, I've owned an early 911 since 1991, & I do "get" it  as an enthusiast, but at these asking prices, really ?)

Why would one pay:

c. $89k for a 964

c. $100k for a 3.2

Some of these cars are approaching 200,000 kms too; second hand, old, cars. 911's yes, but they are old cars with high km and will require substantial recomissioning at some point.

This seems crazy especially when a Metzger engined Turbo or Mk1 GT3 could be had for 'round-abouts' the same money, if you looked hard.

When a given 964 is 200,000 km and 30 years old, and a comparative Mk1 GT3 is 20 years old with 100,000 km on the clock, which example will everone want then? I'm ony talking 6 or 7 years away.....

Nuts ? - discuss.

(oh, I've owned an early 911 since 1991, & I do "get" it as an enthusiast, but at these asking prices, really ?)

Stewart youre been a bit ribald ... discuss :)

Why would one pay:

c. $89k for a 964

c. $100k for a 3.2

Nuts ? - discuss.

(oh, I've owned an early 911 since 1991, & I do "get" it  as an enthusiast, but at these asking prices, really ?)

Or how about a 997 / 997S even. We are talking about a C2 here, its not like it was a special model at the time.

I do totally get the collector bent though, I'm trying to figure out exactly when to jump into a 997 GT3 RS before the collectors decide thats a goer. If its anything like my share picking ability, I'm stuffed :D

I'd say there are less 964 C2's than 997's though

No question - 997s were the most produced 911 ever.

Should have clarified. From an enthusiast standpoint the ever upward pricing of the c2 964 brings p-cars into range that you can easily drive every day which includes late models like the 997. Obviously some people can't see past aircooled, but the option is there given the pricing to pick up something that you can drive every day, and isn't as likely to break down.

It was a compelling argument for me. Smile on my dial every time I drive, or smile on my dial on the weekend only. Obviously I made my choice, but given the recent hikes in pricing you would think for an enthusiast with a set budget, its got to make the choice harder.

From a collector standpoint you aren't going to take the plain jane 997, there were too many of them to begin with.

There's no doubt that a 996/997 is a much superior 'car' to the 964. It's going to suck if there's ever a time where people are reluctant to drive their air cooled cars due to value.

Anyone else thinking about a 996 as a daily driver? I'm interested to play around ECU and CANBUS stuff and it'd be the perfect platform and if they keep going the way they're going it'll be a pretty cheap entrance fee - I wonder if they'll ever appreciate like the air cooled stuff eventually?

Why would one pay:

c. $89k for a 964

c. $100k for a 3.2

Nuts ? - discuss.

Some people find the older cars interesting and that's why we discuss them on the "what's for sale (in Australia) and interesting thread" - I guess that's why some people pay more money for them. Just a guess though.

Some people find the older cars interesting and that's why we discuss them on the "what's for sale (in Australia) and interesting thread" - I guess that's why some people pay more money for them. Just a guess though.

Well put mate…….I think that's why I haven't made it past 1980's cars : ). Will test that theory for myself once I'm able to afford a GT3 lol.