Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

If it's a "repairable" write off, yes you can.

Indeed, a quick Google search has turned up a very interesting and convoluted process to get it done.

But if your only paying $80k for a GT2 then I supose you can afford the "time and money" to get it legal...

Unfortunately I won't be able to do that as I'm just not in the market .....

Which part do you think I'm dreaming about?

The renovation cost or the finished sell price? .... I'm happy to listen to those that know more and to different strategies ......

If your after a project to build a hot rod then this could be a good base. That said 'hot rod' 911's have a smaller market appeal and don't tend to fetch the same dollars as their OEM siblings, it's not going to go backwards though so you may break even or make a couple of bucks if someone really digs your taste in mods. But I don't see this car as being a prime fixer upper candidate, it's just not that material IMO.

I always tend to work backwards, if say this car was 100% OEM and perfect I'd say top dollar would be somewhere around 40k. You could spend 15-20k in a heartbeat on a car like this and still come up quite short of perfection if you were looking to flip it for good money in the short term. Long term, who knows as 911 values increase not doubt cars like this will drag up (this car would have been a sub 20k not that long ago) so if your after a 'cheap' base sure but I don't see it as being short term 'investment' car.

A bit of a tangent..........

I watched a documentary last night on stray dogs in the US. You can see in an instant how damaged these dogs are at a quick glance and know that a lot (or most) of that damage is unrepairable, that's what I see when I look at this car - maybe it's because it's brown (ha!) but it has all the tell tale signs of being mistreated by its owners. Again, most 911's for that money will be 'damaged' so it's up to how brave you are for you to put a price on it! I've seen plenty of people broken (& broke) trying to make money flipping 911's, it's all about the donor.

Indeed, a quick Google search has turned up a very interesting and convoluted process to get it done.

But if your only paying $80k for a GT2 then I supose you can afford the "time and money" to get it legal...

If you had the money and wanted a road car you wouldn't bother with it... It'd make a hell of a track hack though.. That's why I posted it.

Seller quotes it as a repairable write off.... His words not mine

That said 'hot rod' 911's have a smaller market appeal and don't tend to fetch the same dollars as their OEM siblings, it's not going to go backwards though so you may break even or make a couple of bucks if someone really digs your taste in mods.

Unless you:

A) grow some dread locks

B ) shop for clothes at the OP shop for that true Rock n roll look

C) put different coloured panels on it

D) make indie car video that goes viral

^^ = profit

This looks like my old GT2. If anyone here is seriously going to buy it, then pm me the chassis number and Ill give you some information and photos that might help you decide. Ive also got the original books and keys. It crashes well.

I've seen the aftermath of your crashed GT2 - I wouldn't be paying $80k for it. Might be ok as a track pig but I would have thought there are much cheaper starting points if condition and road reg is not important. Forget about it as a road car. I'm surprised it could be classified a repairable write off. It was pretty banged up. Hardly looks well done and cared for either - dusty and dirty and sitting in a garage unfinished for 3 years.

I've seen the aftermath of your crashed GT2 - I wouldn't be paying $80k for it. Might be ok as a track pig but I would have thought there are much cheaper starting points if condition and road reg is not important. Forget about it as a road car. I'm surprised it could be classified a repairable write off. It was pretty banged up. Hardly looks well done and cared for either - dusty and dirty and sitting in a garage unfinished for 3 years.

Who wouldn't want to snag a 'urban barn find' bargain GT2 (scotty can't have all the luck) ...without comment on this car BEFORE OR AFTER the repairs, I I would think there are a number of oz companies able to take a high value repairable write off back to OEM spec...or better.

Guess the Q with the above.. applicable here?

I thought i had found and was keen on buying a 996 TT

but found out it has had  $14000 insurance claim ,owner said it was a scratch down the side ?

Must admit this has put me off a bit ...... 

what would members say when you want to sell it down the track ?

but found out it has had  $14000 insurance claim ,owner said it was a scratch down the side ?

$14,000 is not THAT much relatively speaking.    Perhaps they did a partial repaint ?   Seeing the before pics would be good - just make sure you buy cheap and, in turn, sell cheap.

Mine isn't the only GT2 that met a ghastly end, that's why I made the offer to privately send the chassis number so I can be sure before commenting. I'm not going to say anymore regarding this car or post any photos but my offer to help a serious PFA'er stands.

$14,000 is not THAT much relatively speaking.    Perhaps they did a partial repaint ?   Seeing the before pics would be good - just make sure you buy cheap and, in turn, sell cheap.

Just when you think you have found a car , something comes up to make you rethink it ...

but found out it has had $14000 insurance claim ,owner said it was a scratch down the side ?

I was driving a golf mkiv at slow speed when a guy in a commodore decided to pull out of a parking space without checking. Scraped down the side of the car. Front guard, two doors and rear guard damage, plus one destroyed wheel cover. Total repair cost $6500. Lots of trim parts

Damaged and lots of panels to paint.

$14000 on a porsche seems easy to add up. Just find out how bad it was and knock the price down a bit. It won't affect the way the car drives one bit.

Mine isn't the only GT2 that met a ghastly end, that's why I made the offer to privately send the chassis number so I can be sure before commenting. I'm not going to say anymore regarding this car or post any photos but my offer to help a serious PFA'er stands.

Simon alerted a mate who's been hunting for t3-2 cars - listing 'has finished'

That's crazy.

I was watching a Matt Farrah video this morning where he test drove a 996 that cost the owner USD$9800!!!!

He was saying the car was tight, neat and drove well. That's a ridiculous bargain..

That's crazy.

I was watching a Matt Farrah video this morning where he test drove a 996 that cost the owner USD$9800!!!!

He was saying the car was tight, neat and drove well. That's a ridiculous bargain..

I would think its still above what most dealers would offer on a trade in tho?  It's a lot of km and many people would be put off by that.