Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Add this to your 996 and make a real hotrod

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/alexandria/wrecking/porsche-911-996-turbo-2001-coupe-write-off-selling-complete/1059841349

996 turbo write off $39k

It's one way to solve the ims question

Funny.., I was thinking to myself just last night "is the 6 GT2/3 & Turbo a sum of their parts?

After I do the math, I guess so! That is assuming you source a nice donor...

But grab a 996 With a blown motor or something and the equation definitely starts to make some sense.

Still with the market the way it is, I think it's always better to stump up the extra coin for a road car... Track hack different story. :)

Must. Not. Bid.

The thought of a 996 daily drive in the high teens is one that changes the equation somewhat.

Same thought here.....Mrs BBC does not like air-cooled (the smell), so what better way to get her into a Porsche than a $20k 996.    Auto too !     Must.Not.Bid

She actually told me the other day when I raised the idea of buying a Kombi ....." go get a job"

I think this 997 is excellent value. Manual, Aus Delivered, Low kms... When SC are 60-70... this is a LOT more performance with a lot more day to day civility.  Looks like it has the same wheels as JV11's recent 964 rebuild too...

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-3252284

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-26%20at%207.03.0

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-26%20at%207.03.2

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-26%20at%207.03.1

I love the look of the 997's so much more than the 996's. If you squint and tilt your head just so, it almost looks like a 901!

On cosmetics alone, can you ever foresee 997's dropping in value by as much as the 996's? Whip out your crystal balls please.

They will continue to drop because they are only just now at the 10 year old depreciation death zone.   Yes, they look better than the 996, but the 996 simply provides the lower-bound mark to which they cannot drop further.

They're still a modern car with lots of plastic bits and complicated systems.

There is still a ton of them around as well, which is the difference between them and an air-cooled car.  I bet Porsche sold more 997s in 2006 than they did total cars between 84 and 89.

All new cars have to hit the bottom of the depreciation curve. I've not known of one car that has not bottomed out.

It all depends on how far it will bottom out. My crystal ball says another 10 years to drop. When they are 20 years old, with all the plastics and computers, then we will see how they fare.

All new cars have to hit the bottom of the depreciation curve. I've not known of one car that has not bottomed out.

It all depends on how far it will bottom out. My crystal ball says another 10 years to drop. When they are 20 years old, with all the plastics and computers, then we will see how they fare.

The RWC may be costly to obtain once the vehicles are onto 3rd,  4th & subsequent owners. But perhaps they will prove to be reliable? Let's hope the PFA is still around for us to refer back to  :)

I wouldn't put my cash on glossy dead-tree publications being around.  You can buy an entry-level tablet for the buy-in of a 12 month subscription.

That's very true. But curling up on the couch with a tablet is so, erm...

I love my magazines made from renewable plantations and edible ink i.e. reading matter not powered by coal ;) .

That's very true. But curling up on the couch with a tablet is so, erm...

I love my magazines made from renewable plantations and edible ink i.e. reading matter not powered by coal ;) .

will you be using hand driven printing presses to print these magazines? and delivering them on foot?  :ph34r:

986 Boxster S - 3 hours to go and at $13k

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Porsche-Boxster-2001-5-SP-Manual-Black-registered-new-tyres-RWC-LOW-RESERVE-/121571936221

very nice looking (says Australian Delivered?) '76 911S - will be interesting to see what it goes for:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1976-Porsche-911S/321672893629

That boxster was/is a repairable write off... due to collision...

and before someone whinges at me, NO I DID NOT CALL HIM.

So I believe that means you can never fully comp insure it again??? Any one know if this is correct.

Not correct, you can insure any car as long as it doesn't have current damage.. Caveat being in the event of any accident your insurance may dispute the true market value of your car should they discover it's past history.

very nice looking Australian Delivered '76 911S (with side repeaters) - will be interesting to see what it goes for:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1976-Porsche-911S/321672893629

You're never going to let that go are you, you were the one that threw a tantrum and ended that conversation. This has to be the third or fourth time you've brought it up again.

There were no Australian delivered '76 911S … there was only a single designation 911 that year … and you guessed it -- no side repeaters.

You're never going to let that go are you, you were the one that threw a tantrum and ended that conversation. This has to be the third or fourth time you've brought it up again.

There were no Australian delivered '76 911S … there was only a single designation 911 that year … and you guessed it -- no side repeaters.

whoa, I'm actually just having a joke about it, it's not an intentional dig at anyone - I had actually intended to put quotation marks around "Australian Delivered" 

I'll edit the post - apologies if you thought it was a legitimate dig at someone

.....I was just having a dig at myself if anything over being so uptight about it  :ph34r:

will you be using hand driven printing presses to print these magazines? and delivering them on foot?  :ph34r:

It's one way of tackling the obesity epidemic.

Serously,  I've thought if you hooked up all the desperate fitness first type treadmillers and exercise bicyclists you could feed some useful energy back into the grid. Certainly better than wasting all that energy heating Bikram studios so people can release their toxins.

That Boxster could be cheap fun , even with some history. The days of 10k Boxsters are just around the corner.

Ok .... so if there were no 911S's delivered here and it shouldn't have side repeaters, ...... what the hell is it???

It's one way of tackling the obesity epidemic.

Serously,  I've thought if you hooked up all the desperate fitness first type treadmillers and exercise bicyclists you could feed some useful energy back into the grid. Certainly better than wasting all that energy heating Bikram studios so people can release their toxins.

That Boxster could be cheap fun , even with some history. The days of 10k Boxsters are just around the corner.

I resemble this remark! (the epidemic, not the treadmillers unfortunately)

I personally am looking forward to Boxsters getting down to those prices, I can see one (or a Cayenne) in my future. I've always wanted to mess around with engine diagnostics (I had great plans out of school to do it as a career)

heck of a lot of car for the money - better than an MX5 for the same price

So I believe that means you can never fully comp insure it again??? Any one know if this is correct.

It all about disclosure, if your asked and don't answer honestly you may have an issue come claim time.

Not aware of any insurers asking " is your car a repairable write off?" when taking out a policy. However, if your car is insured for market value and you total it and its discovered the car was a previous total loss it could possibly impact the valuation.