Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Hi Steve, 

The car has been on the market for some time (12 months + ?). It has been discussed on here several times as it appears to be priced well but I haven't been able to establish the reason as to why it hasn't sold - I'm guessing there is more to it than meets the eye and something is lurking beneath? 

Would be curious to know how you go if you do indeed get to inspect the car, best of luck! 

this may be the reason; Is an import originally a LHD converted to RHD and includes later style dash/gauges. Unfortunately no further information on who did the conversion

heres your reason; Is an import originally a LHD converted to RHD and includes later style dash/gauges. Unfortunately no further information on who did the conversion

Looks like a decent car to me, lots of $ lavished on it. Hot rod yes, overpriced probably, (rear valance a little sus) but otherwise a good solid car I'm guessing.

Looks like a decent car to me, lots of $ lavished on it. Hot rod yes, overpriced probably, (rear valance a little sus) but otherwise a good solid car I'm guessing.

Yes i agree, What i was reffering to was the wording in the add it might create doubt ( hence the edit)

As a newbie , I notice you folks can smell the little puff of smoke at 500 mtrs from the car of anyone with that crazy notion of selling,  so I thought I would ask the wisdom council a quick question.

I am looking for something additional for the garage, I dont quite know what and wondered in general what you thought of relatively honest looking imports, like this one..

http://www.countrycars.com.au/coastal/largeAdPics.php?1=11898906&2=11898905&3=11898903&4=11898904&5=11898902&ref=1593818&caller=53

Its been listed as a turbo elsewhere , which it obviously not 

Do you favor, Uk Cars Vs California Cars , being a Pomme I always worry with the salty cars of the UK.

I have never owned a non std car or an import and obviusly dont want waste money?

Welcome ....

UK cars are not well received due to the copious amounts of rust associated with them .....

The one above is not entirely original as stated in the advert .... It is a US import that has been converted from LHD to RHD.

It also seems quite highly priced for an import ..... you should be able to get an Aussie delivered one for not much more.

Imports are an open book ... Some people love them, others wouldn't touch them..... generally people will buy one due to the savings they will make compared to a local one .... you will buy it cheaper but expect to sell it cheaper also when the time comes ...

There are heaps of discussions on here regarding imports ... spend some time looking around and you will find other useful info ...

As a newbie , I notice you folks can smell the little puff of smoke at 500 mtrs from the car of anyone with that crazy notion of selling,  so I thought I would ask the wisdom council a quick question.

I am looking for something additional for the garage, I dont quite know what and wondered in general what you thought of relatively honest looking imports, like this one..

http://www.countrycars.com.au/coastal/largeAdPics.php?1=11898906&2=11898905&3=11898903&4=11898904&5=11898902&ref=1593818&caller=53

Do you favor, Uk Cars Vs California Cars , being a Pomme I always worry with the salty cars of the UK.

I have never owned a non std car or an import and obviusly dont want waste money?

Like all imports proceed with care, It's what lies underneath the conversion you can't see by pictures alone, hence why the LHD cars are favored more of a conversion. It's a US car and yes non turbo. Interesting to note that the gauges are the wrong way around.

Like all imports proceed with care, It's what lies underneath the conversion you can't see by pictures alone, hence why the LHD cars are favored more of a conversion. It's a US car and yes non turbo. Interesting to note that the gauges are the wrong way around.

Well spotted on the gauges Greg .... I didnt see that.

If you look a bit closer, it has a UK speedo and the headlight switch is wrong.

I would take Greg's advice and tread VERY carefully with this one ....

Aha, your visual skills and  both sense of smell are impeccable.

I thought the same of UK cars when I was there a few weeks back ,  even 993TTs,  I looked at, at high prices  have that salty hidden somewhere and if you saw my pampered 2 year old Jag that I brough here as my import after three years it was a a great  sieve , even after , 3-4 steam cleans and oiling prior to ship .

Salt is for chips only me thinks 

:unsure:

Salt is for chips only me thinks 

:unsure:

Now, now symsy .... dont be so short sighted!

Salt is good for many other things other than chips .... like that drink that you put the salt on the rim and then slam down ....

You need to broaden your thought pattern (and food pallette) , me thinks .....

Looks ok from a distance and low- res photos.

It is definitely a us import which has been converted.

With US imports where in the US it lived is most important. If it's a south-west car (California, Nevada, Utah etc) then likely to be a solid car. If you can't establish provenance then can be an eastern States car which can equal rust, just like the UK.

It's pricey for a converted car - not that long ago that a converted 3.2 was priced at $35k or so. Nowadays, I just don't know.

The gauges around the wrong way is a minor detail - obviously done the wrong way when flipping the dash over. In a LHD or RHD they go the same order from l-r (speedo is always on the right).

If you are close by its probably worth a look and a cheeky offer if you like it. After all, the mechanical and body condition is more important than the original dealer stamp. Imported cars take longer to sell but they drive just the same.

Looking at the black one a bit more...it should be a g50 car, and if the speedo reads 90,000 miles it's not bad mileage. There isn't any such thing as a 'uk' speedo as canada and the us both have mph/kmh speedos as standard.

I think it's worth a closer look. A local car with that mileage in an 88 would be another 10k, which is about right for the 'Aussie delivered' tax.

It also needs the front spoiler as having a rear with no front = floaty handling on the highway

Thanks for the correction Coastr .....

I thought just the UK had miles / k's .... due to the whole commonwealth thing ...

My old W124 Merc had both but KM's in bold type on the outside and MPH in small type on the inside. The odometer in KPH.

My W463 G Wagen is a uk delivery from new and is the opposite: MPH in bold and KPH in small with the odometer in miles.

Welcome !

few things to keep in mind

-  history of where the car came from and when

-  details of the RHD conversion, who, where, when, etc ....  import approval documents and conversion approval plates and documentation will help when getting rego as you may need an engineering certificate and these need $$$

-  PPI must include rust and RHD conversion ...  these will need $$$ to get right

in short, if its clean and had a good RHD conversion and has all the paperwork, its worth looking at if priced right

good luck