Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

people that want the Porsche for a ridiculous price.

In the current heated market,  the words ridiculous and realistic are similar. The reality is somewhere in between,  and that depends upon the seller's requirements for moving the car on.

Those who haven't repaired these cars can get a huge shock, some of them are absolute time bombs!

At least start with a roadworthy reassurance.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/melbourne-cbd/cars-vans-utes/1989-porsche-911-coupe/1081992088

Same owner, now dropped $10k off the original asking price. At that level it's approaching a sensible buy if you budget the $10k to fix the rust. The car drove well on a very short trip I did in it a few weeks ago after hiring the blue car for the day, but I'd still go for a decent ppi first to gain a better understanding of it's mechanical condition and of the rust it has. I note from the photos it's still on the SA plates he bought it on, so perhaps the roadworthy to register the car here in VIC is a stumbling block. With a rwc I'd buy it and set out the restoration for the future, but no way would I buy it without a roady.

The owner is a member on here and I'm sure he's seen the comments about his cars. They're not perfect and not advertised as such in my opinion.

Thanks for the honest opinions Mike.

I think with the SA plates one it's the one you've mentioned in the link. White 88 coupe. Both the Blue and White Porsches are very well placed for "setting out for restoration in the future". 

I haven't bothered with the roady yet on the white one as I wanted to keep it and have all of those things rectified (my brother in laws a panel beater so no premiums at all) hence the Blue and Red one up for sale. Whichever goes first, I keep the other. Was never meant to have three:)

In the current heated market,  the words ridiculous and realistic are similar. The reality is somewhere in between,  and that depends upon the seller's requirements for moving the car on.

Those who haven't repaired these cars can get a huge shock, some of them are absolute time bombs!

At least start with a roadworthy reassurance.

Well said. I've wrongly assumed everyone knows a panel beater buddy or a mechanic that won't rip them off. Ummm..., so maybe off they go until I have those things rectified that may horrify. But then do I add 5-10?

The best approach (IMO) is to get an independent PPI (not your own mechanic) and independent bodywork quotes (2).
Find out what is required for RWC , then go to market - and it's much clearer for all.

Of course this takes effort and time and money , but so does faffing around with phone calls , emails , tyrekickers and deals that fall through.

Let alone forum speculations!

Edited by tazzieman

Okay, I'll bite.....

I was happy to pass and let it go, but as you asked, I only expressed a figure that I would reconsider my position.

Thank you for your time and no malice intended

Oh...and I can completely appreciate your frustration

Edited by P-Kay
missed a bit and spelling mistake

Edgy,

Please understand the difference between facts that help PFA members, and opinions that help potential purchasers get people on PFA to call up and low ball Porsche sellers. 

Hi,

10mm gap at front fender panel door - true.

Door replaced - true.

Door doesn't fit now and fingers fit under door - not true.

Roof different colour - rubbish.

Large chunk of rust in engine near oil filter - True.

That is all helpful facts. ^^ 

Not everyone is an idiot here with unrealistic expectations, with the car you are trying to sell you certainly get more of those than realistic buyers.. your car sounds like a reasonable buy to me FWIW. Which is why I asked.

Unfortunately this thread is taking on a very particular tool for buyers. 

Reality is that this is the age that we live in. I guess its a combination of a  sign of the times and a "heated" market.

Not too dissimilar to the frustrations of getting into the property market....long bow to draw but there are some similarities.

This forum is great and so is this thread, lets not lose sight of its intent.

We all love these cars but really , I have been driving porsches 25 years now some of these cars are simply junk and some of them are a passion journey and not worth the money

The question of ownership over investment is the question to be asked...

True ownership is measured in adrenalin and smiles by my measure

Investment is a fear of driving and a story of dollars 

Best days of my life where averaging 221kms /hr on a journey stutgart to munich and yes some guy overtook me in a Merc , with 284,000 kms on an 81 911

I can recall the feeling of being a true tarmac terrorist and being king of the road 

I suggest the best cars are the ones that create traffic , burn plenty fossil fuels 

That blue ZAG car has been on market for a while I think. Looks quite tidy, too exxy as a non original Carrera and not hot rodded enough to attract that market. In no mans land in between? Stuff a 300+ hp motor in it and create a beast like Chris Harris' kermit?

The blue ZAG car ( I quite like it)  is it an import + RHD conversion?. Have you seen it IRL? 

It does have the essentials though which definately raises the bar on a driving experience , yes incase you thought it Im laughing a lot at these prices no offense , maybe its end of financial year or maybe its a full moon :o

993 TT Features Include: - Metallic Paint - Auto Speed Control - Sun Roof - Top Tinted Wind Screen