Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Agreed!  Looks good in the dark, but if you want to attract a buyer, take a little trouble.  I thought the seats didn't look right, and the text says they're 911 ones.  That's a shame, as the 928 ones are quite special and you'd really want to source some originals (and sell the 911 ones!)

There are a few 928s being wrecked around the place, should not be too hard to source or even pay up and re-trim them?

Seems to be a growing trend of just go out to the garage take some pics and chuck it up on the net! Entice the buyer with some detailed and quality pics :)

there's a massive conflict of interest with a seller doing their on PPI

but by doing the ppi they will back up their work surely? Someone just doing a ppi has no further interest in you or your car. Maybe you haven't seen the passion and pride these guys put into what they do. Don't just take my word for it. Go see the 40 or so cars they are working on every week. Owners voting with their wallets

About $60K. I watch them, because I want one. I like them a lot more than many Ferrari's worth 4 times as much. 

Sadly the horse has bolted for these too.  You won't find a decent 308 GT/4 with books, tools and a stack of records for less than 6 figures now.  $60K will buy you a rotten, deferred maintenance nightmare that will be a further $60K away......from being a $60K car.

Of course I'm making a judgement regarding the standard of 308 GT/4 you'd be happy with, but if you want a turnkey, no stories car, $60K won't cut it.

They are a fabulous car when sorted, but you must buy a good one...and most aren't.  They're the Carrera 3.0 of the Ferrari stable.

Sadly the horse has bolted for these too.  You won't find a decent 308 GT/4 with books, tools and a stack of records for less than 6 figures now.  $60K will buy you a rotten, deferred maintenance nightmare that will be a further $60K away......from being a $60K car.

Of course I'm making a judgement regarding the standard of 308 GT/4 you'd be happy with, but if you want a turnkey, no stories car, $60K won't cut it.

They are a fabulous car when sorted, but you must buy a good one...and most aren't.  They're the Carrera 3.0 of the Ferrari stable.

I feel like a guy who was after an SC for years only to see the price rise too quickly.  I always thought about a 308 GTB or GT4.  The GTBs ran away long ago, I thought the GT4s were still seen with scorn by the Ferrari people.  I remember the laughter when Hammond bought one and they all teased him about it not being a real Ferrari

topgeardino3089.5086.jpg

Oh well, there's still the Mondial

but by doing the ppi they will back up their work surely? Someone just doing a ppi has no further interest in you or your car. Maybe you haven't seen the passion and pride these guys put into what they do. Don't just take my word for it. Go see the 40 or so cars they are working on every week. Owners voting with their wallets

I'm not questioning AH, my point is that having a PPI done by the seller (as great a reputation that AH apparently have) is inherently conflicted. if i was ever to buy a car from AH there is no way i would have them do the PPI--that would be a waste of money because do you really think they would honestly give you the warts and all storey. 

Most dealers, you are of course right. AH are mechanics first, dealers second. That would sway it for me. I wouldn't pay for a ppi with them, just expect they had looked at the car already and given it their own tick of approval. If something went wrong soon after purchase it would go straight back to them to fix. Basically a warentee of sorts. 

I feel like a guy who was after an SC for years only to see the price rise too quickly.  I always thought about a 308 GTB or GT4.  The GTBs ran away long ago, I thought the GT4s were still seen with scorn by the Ferrari people.  I remember the laughter when Hammond bought one and they all teased him about it not being a real Ferrari

topgeardino3089.5086.jpg

Oh well, there's still the Mondial

Well, yes, but a good one was no more than $55,000 for the last 30 years, so you did have an opportunity, sorry!

People go on about how they were scorned in their day, but that's not completely true, they were only scorned by those people who'd never driven one.  Within the Ferrari community, they were always respected.

I think the biggest problem with the GT/4 (Apart from the mostly miserable tight arse owners lol) is the fact that so many were repainted re-sale red in the 1980s.  Red really doesn't suit the Bertone shape at all.  Only about 15% of all GT/4 production was red or a shade thereof.  When you see a GT/4 in a period colour such as a grigio or blu, they look amazing. 

Well, yes, but a good one was no more than $55,000 for the last 30 years, so you did have an opportunity, sorry!

People go on about how they were scorned in their day, but that's not completely true, they were only scorned by those people who'd never driven one.  Within the Ferrari community, they were always respected.

I think the biggest problem with the GT/4 (Apart from the mostly miserable tight arse owners lol) is the fact that so many were repainted re-sale red in the 1980s.  Red really doesn't suit the Bertone shape at all.  Only about 15% of all GT/4 production was red or a shade thereof.  When you see a GT/4 in a period colour such as a grigio or blu, they look amazing. 

looks like a bloody sexy car in that yellow

Edited by Blue964

Most dealers, you are of course right. AH are mechanics first, dealers second. That would sway it for me. I wouldn't pay for a ppi with them, just expect they had looked at the car already and given it their own tick of approval. If something went wrong soon after purchase it would go straight back to them to fix. Basically a warentee of sorts. 

Curious - how long would you expect this undocumented warranty to last, and to what $ amount?

Edited by OBRUT

I've dealt with AH and have to say that I wouldn't go elsewhere. They will not put their name on just any car, it has to be THE car. 

They only sell clean examples and they do a thorough PPI on it themselves and service before they sell it to the public.

if you buy a car from them, without a doubt they will sort out any problems you have with it and I don't believe they'll turn their back on anyone.

So warranty isn't a problem, just try them out for yourself.

in terms of undocumented warranty, perhaps maybe have it documented...

Count me in as a cautious cynic. Trust me I sell Porsches just doesn't add up to me. Never delt with AH so by no means do I disrespect them. Getting a second opinion outside the deal is something i am sure many of of the smart heads on this board do in business. No reason why the approach  to p cars regardless of the seller should be different. 

I'm not questioning AH, my point is that having a PPI done by the seller (as great a reputation that AH apparently have) is inherently conflicted. if i was ever to buy a car from AH there is no way i would have them do the PPI--that would be a waste of money because do you really think they would honestly give you the warts and all storey.

I agree.  A PPI is done for the buyer.  A buyer and seller have a opposing interests.   The fact that a seller may also have a reputable mechanical shop does not remove any conflict of interest.

in a more normal market, issues that are identified through the PPI can also be used by the buyer in the price negotiation process.  This represents another conflict of interest.

A PPI becomes even more important if you are an interstate buyer as you would want all issues resolved before shipping the car.

Well put. I completely agree.

For a PPI to have any credibility  it has to be conducted independently of the seller.

I agree.  A PPI is done for the buyer.  A buyer and seller have a opposing interests.   The fact that a seller may also have a reputable mechanical shop does not remove any conflict of interest.

in a more normal market, issues that are identified through the PPI can also be used by the buyer in the price negotiation process.  This represents another conflict of interest.

A PPI becomes even more important if you are an interstate buyer as you would want all issues resolved before shipping the carputs

Reasonably low km for an Australian delivered 928, would have been nice to see some inside pics plus doesn't the rear wheels look too narrow?  It's got the all important jump post cover but the engine bay doesn't look 100% original to me, air intake tubes look to be off a GTS.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/berala/cars-vans-utes/1987-porsche-928-coupe/1089091527

Nice looking S4 apart from the timber trim?? Looks like someone has gone berserk with timber inside??

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-928-1989/SSE-AD-3592299/?Cr=0

It does look very good, as you said, apart from the wood and the steering wheel.  I'm no fan of the original wheel, but that one is just wrong.  Shouldn't be a show-stopper, though.  Time you bought something...

Nice looking S4 apart from the timber trim?? Looks like someone has gone berserk with timber inside??

Looks like some of it is the Veneer kits that Jager Engineering sells http://www.jageng.com/garage9/product_info.php?cPath=50_59&products_id=108

But the centre tube tunnel and the cassette box / console thingy both look to be almost vinyl wrapped, I think I see a wrinkle in the driver's side tunnel cover just below the window switches (photo 11).

Interested to see if they get the asking price.  There's always talk of the 928 going up in price and yes in the UK it has (quite steeply from what I understand), but down here it doesn't appear so.  When I advertised mine earlier in the year at these prices, the highest offer I got was over the phone at $26k, and that was sight unseen.  And mine has one quarter to one fifth the kms of these but yep its LHD.  Makes me wonder if the $57k one on car sales will ever get it. 

I've been looking for a 928 for a while now, strictly 1st gen without spoilers as I have always liked that simple look. Spotted a car whilst walking the dog a few weeks back. 

A few notes on the windscreen followed, then ultimately made contact via a local workshop.  A deal was struck and I brought it home yesterday.  

Aussie delivered 1981 4.5, manual, sunroof delete, platinum metallic and still on the orignal phone dials (another requirement). Pretty chuffed, even liking the Berber trim!

I've been looking for a 928 for a while now, strictly 1st gen without spoilers as I have always liked that simple look. Spotted a car whilst walking the dog a few weeks back. 

A few notes on the windscreen followed, then ultimately made contact via a local workshop.  A deal was struck and I brought it home yesterday.  

Aussie delivered 1981 4.5, manual, sunroof delete, platinum metallic and still on the orignal phone dials (another requirement). Pretty chuffed, even liking the Berber trim!

Congrats! Love to see some pics! Love the early 928s!!

Finally, someone actually bought one! 

Congratulations and welcome to the dark side.

Curious - how long would you expect this undocumented warranty to last, and to what $ amount?

putting it to the test as we speak, AH on the phone said they offered a lifetime warranty on their work....hoping we won't need to crack open that can of worms, we'll see 

Edited by michel