Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

interesting isn't it.... there are quite a few 997 that are below the $100K mark now.. 

When I bought my Cayman, there was only 1, a UK import which had done 100km.....

Now there are a few Aus delivered cars for well below the 100mark.

This london car is "only" $75K.

What would you rather have... an extremely schmick 901, a really schmick 964, a fairly schmick 993, or an effen awesome 997????

The performance would be fantastic. The reliability (ims aside) great. Comfort. Safety... the list goes on.....

The obvious answer is to have one of each... but I'm not Jay Leno... or Jerry Seinfeld....

I saw a UK 997 on a hoist at cairns recently. Looked immaculate. Sean showed me underneath and pointed out the extent of corrosion - every seam, every thread, shock absorbers etc etc all covered in rust. I was astonished how extensive it was and it gets into all the seams and grooves. Owner wanted it all cleaned up.....big job. So tread carefully!

I saw a UK 997 on a hoist at cairns recently. Looked immaculate. Sean showed me underneath and pointed out the extent of corrosion - every seam, every thread, shock absorbers etc etc all covered in rust. I was astonished how extensive it was and it gets into all the seams and grooves. Owner wanted it all cleaned up.....big job. So tread carefully!

pretty sure my next one will be of the air cooled variety............. B)

Mike - forgive me, what's a 901? And yes the price relativity does your head in. Every part of my logic says buy a cayman for one of the best chassis ever, reliability, safety, performance. Why is it then I am looking at spending the same on a car without power steering, rubbish air con, non existant safety, dodgy interiors, terrible gearshift and questionable handling. Bottom line these air cooled cars rock, they are totally intoxicating. They make grown men lose all logic, ignore value and turn into giddy schoolboys again. Count me in...

Amanda- I agree that you get good vibes from AH. They look the real deal. Their street cred sees them move cars pretty quickly.

Clutch / DJM - agree some caution on uk however I brought a 2002 uk car and no issues with rust. A good buy and no issues. Buyer beware but not terrified. Judge it on its merit.

One word...cancer.

Why is it then I am looking at spending the same on a car without power steering, rubbish air con, non existant safety, dodgy interiors, terrible gearshift and questionable handling.

Power steering...dulls the feedback and isn't needed with the right wheel/tyre/rack ratio.

Air con...pfft.

Non-existent safety...It's built in. Good brakes and sharp steering help you avoid a crash.

Dodgy interiors...Recaro buckets with more leather than an s&m club.

Terrible gearshift...misunderstood. It's a challenge but patience is worth the reward.

Questionable handling ...like the gear shift. Understand it, work with it, and you will never be disappointed.

I couldn't hold back. Rant over.

Harvs

You completely misunderstand me. I stand by all my comments above but they are the things I love about air cooled.

Driving is all about feedback from the blacktop, all about the intimacy of the experience with no poxy steering filters, polen filters or electronic nannies. I want a car that scares me a little, that must be respected and you arrive home from the twisties wide eyed, in a cold sweat and knowing you have exercised some skill and judgement not to bin it. I want a gearshift that rewards timing between man and machine not some computer controlled dual clutch autobot. I want a light car you can really get the confidence to pedal, not some 1700kg missile weighed down by airbags, sound deadening, and nanny gear that is just too heavy to bring back from the edge. I want a car that snaps, crackles and pops on the over run, one that makes old ladies scowl and old men quietly grin. I love the timeless looks and driving position designed for an ape, I love the five gauge cockpit and tightly packed cabin.

IMHO I think you would have to be delusional not to recognise that these old cars are deeply flawed in many areas. But it's those flaws I am intentionally seeking out because they make the whole driving experience so human, so engaging and so emmercing. IMHO 90% of the modern stuff is going in the wrong direction and totally leaves me cold (but I accept more the masses this is a good thing not a bad thing).

I had a 2007 BMW M3 (420 hp V8). Brilliant modern car and will go down as one of the greats. But it completely did my head in. Performance levels were so high you could never access them, and by the time you did you were going so quick it scared me (for my modest driving talent). Any time you got some decent drifting happening the dash lit up like a Christmas tree and it was so heavy it was just a different driving experience. After I sold it I test drove 996tt's, again brilliant car, amazing, but lacked that engagement and accessability. I stumbled into a 964 and fell in love. Yes it had a few flaws but just so engaging and accessible, such a great burble and looked great just standing still. That is the sort of car you want to get into and drive, even if its just down to the shops for a bottle of milk.

Harvs maintain the rage brother !

I'd love a nice 964 carrera 2... coupe manual...

In fact, I am ready to add one to the stable but am trying to get my head around pricing.

There are a couple of nice red ones (2wd and 4wd i think) that have been floating around the $60k mark for a year.. 

Let me know of anyone considering selling.... prefer black or silver! and not a UK import after all the comments about rust...

I'd love a nice 964 carrera 2... coupe manual...

In fact, I am ready to add one to the stable but am trying to get my head around pricing.

There are a couple of nice red ones (2wd and 4wd i think) that have been floating around the $60k mark for a year.. 

Let me know of anyone considering selling.... prefer black or silver! and not a UK import after all the comments about rust...

Have you seen DJM's? You'll find it hard to find a cleaner example IMO.

Harvs

You completely misunderstand me. I stand by all my comments above but they are the things I love about air cooled.

No, my friend, I got it. I was just pouring out my thoughts in response to the old cliches which you listed in your post. We are completely aligned in our attitudes to modern cars with all the technology designed to intervene when the driving gets a little outside the safety bubble. I work in the car design industry so have seen first hand all the advances and efforts put in to make cars reliable and safe for the majority of drivers. Sadly, this has resulted in generations of drivers without the skills to react when something goes wrong. My daily drive is one of these "made for the masses" cars. When it comes to enjoying a drive there is no substitute for a car which relies on simple mechanics and the inputs and reactions of the driver to get the best from it. Hence the old girl in the garage ready for the next time the need for some fun and an escape from the daily grind beckons.

It was getting late when I posted, and the limitations of using a mobile phone keypad meant I kept it brief. Perhaps this was why the context of my little rant was lost.

... I work in the car design industry so have seen first hand all the advances and efforts put in to make cars reliable and safe for the majority of drivers....

There's a great book called "Why Things Bite Back" by Edward Tenner, which looks at revenge effects, which describes how making things safer can lead to less safety being achieved.

(With apologies for thread drift.)

"Totally intoxicating". These are the words I was looking for yesteday when typing my post describing my experience driving the car home. So true.

I was just sitting here looking at the avatar of your new 911 and then reading your 'Ride/s: 1976 911 Sporto'  and crazily smiling to myself.  Good on you Steve :)  I'm very happy for you :)