Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

noting @SimonN comments, I'd agree a bit over the odds given the array of RHD cars on the market.

However if your budget requires some restraint, then buying a project car and building over time can make something like this attractive.

But as Simon says... don't underestimate the fundamentals involved in a build  of this magnitude. 

Though if orig RHD is a must have as is a pre 74 vin and irrespective of the sporto comment as its a minor bottom cough in the scheme of things, how many early car ( project) opportunities are you all seeing?

so in concluding. Maybe good buying if you're  motivated and spanner handy and remembering not all cars need or should have to be pristine numbers matching and AH drive day worthy ... world gone mad 

Q.  So quick one fingered typers what would you pay? 

If one was to look at a car such as this, NOT MY CUP OF TEA, they should do due diligence, because sometimes things are not as good as they may appear. Welds in the wrong places could be a very big issue.

The beast has been $90 something (98?) for the last 3 or 4 months and I guess you know, on there for 2 years starting around $119K.

C4S  dropped his price but really needs another 15k off for a sale with those ks imo....

If one was to look at a car such as this, NOT MY CUP OF TEA, they should do due diligence, because sometimes things are not as good as they may appear. Welds in the wrong places could be a very big issue.

think we are sayin the same things sort of. Though odd welds may indicate odd repair though may  not  signal deeply compromised. Though as it's an old car and a project at that should be approached as such . Buyer be informed.

but my Q's were how many pre 74 RHD projects are been seen and what should this and others similar be trading  for .

So you reckon the beast will sell nearly as it approaches closer to 3 years  of its car sales campaign because of another price drop ( mere 5k). Interesting?  95k two years ago dropped into some wild west gold shares (anything of any subtance, eg lucky dip) would have given the owner a  couple of free carry P trades.   Emotive seller perhaps that doesn't subscribe to the time value of money?   So whats a 996 tt engine build worth - 25k to 35k?. 600hp to 700hp turbo upgrade = 30k to 35k?.    Residual value of series 1 996tt = 40k to 50k.  So  is that AUS delivered or UK import, registered, but once written off and back from the dead?  Whats wrong with the maths,?  eg something doesn't add up! 

Speaking of time value of money and "what about this",  that car seems way to similar to something that was discussed 12 months ago.  Just a view, but if its the same car as I suspect  and if  the Carrera sells at that price, its way ahead of my superfund returns over the last twelve months.

Just  some cut and paste extracts that may be of interest to some, (DYOR, but to me seems a  bit of groundhog day (refer to  one of Woka's early thread posts chasing his first P car in Feb 2016)

Long chat to Rasi..  First and foremost is an import, been in the country for 5 years, 3 owner car..  Extensive modifications by the sounds of things. Dry, rust free and clean.

I don't know if I can mention it here, but the owner is the owner of a performance workshop, 7 minutes from 'airport west'  Prestige 'something or other' works I think he called himself..  ;)

Its a sorted car by the sounds, maybe a little to much on the side of go-cart - but my knowledge doesn't stretch the far..  Thanks very much @Pork Chops, that's a very decent gesture, lets see what eventuates over the next couple of days, pictures pending etc and I might take you up on that.  

Import...  It keeps reverberating..  I know they all came from the same factory, and I understand the arguments for and against.  Is the price right for an import..

Posted 12 Feb 2016 · Report post

I thought it was cheap for a Aus delivered C4S. I want you in a 996 as bad as you want one but IMO don't jump the gun.

Posted 12 Feb 2016 · Report post

Has the price gone up? Its now $56,500 I could have sworn it was $52,000 earlier? In the case of $56,200 thats too expensive for an import C4S IMO. I have seen them for high 4s'! Pun intended... haha 

And what about this/ food for thought!  Rather than referencing car sales links, if we all took three more seconds when posting to do a print screen of the car sales add with the asking price / pic of car and pasted  it (not word searchable unforetunately), as opposed to a car sales  link, we would have a much better historical archive  of what a previous  owner thought is was worth at a point in time instead of  clicking on historical links that reference corolla's  or hilux's.   Plus I could have perhaps posted  a screen shot (picture with a price is worth a thousand words) with an Interesting???, instead of some of the above.

cp4683998166661054137.jpg?height=290&asp

Last Modified Date6/03/2017
Vehicle2001 Porsche 911 Turbo 996 Auto AWD MY01
Price$105,000*
Kilometres63,000
ColourMidnight Blue
Interior ColourBlack
Reg Plate695SOG
Transmission5 speed Sports Automatic
Body2 doors 4 seat Coupe
Drive TypeFour Wheel Drive
Engine6 cylinder Petrol Twin Turbo Intercooled 3.6 L (3600 cc)
Reg Expiry9 Months - December 2017

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=SSE-AD-4598626&Cr=0 

Are there any stories on this out there he wondered ?

Price$105,000*
Kilometres63,000
ColourMidnight Blue 
Interior ColourBlack
Reg Plate695SOG
Body2 doors 4 seat Coupe

Got to love a screenshot for the skimmers along with a link for the current tyre kickers who are into the detail.  10/10 sir.

No stories on that one  (eg its auto??? and if it was a manual I know someone who may have gobbled that up pretty quickly)

But on the topic of auto's and perhaps some value, I'm surprised no one posted a copy of a black one with a price drop to 75k pre argy bargy circa last week.  Ok, the black one did average aircooled kilometres, (eg another 160k km more than that one, but the stock motors apparently good for 590,000 miles (few laps around the block) if not flipping and driving is your thing. 

How does a auto rate over a manual in these cars when behind the wheel?  Not the same model, but I recently watched Matt Farah behind the wheel in a you tube vid in a 700hp 997.1 tt (pre pdk) auto around the Malibu hills and the elevator speech was if only this car had a "stick shift" as the downshifts in particular were terrible and he was worried about missed gear changes without having paddle shifters,.   That said, I did note a thread post on 6 speedonline with someone doing a paddle shifter mod on their 996tt (but skipped that one and opened the one talking clutch replacements)

Edited by smit2100

cp4683998166661054137.jpg?height=290&asphttp://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=SSE-AD-4598626&Cr=0 

Brow,

If you are interested in that one, this one at Autohaus would be worth a look too.

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-2001/OAG-AD-14439335/?Cr=2

From a quick look on Friday, it looked clean and straight and well cared for with perfect service records. 

The beast has been $90 something (98?) for the last 3 or 4 months and I guess you know, on there for 2 years starting around $119K.

C4S  dropped his price but really needs another 15k off for a sale with those ks imo....

Slow week on the boards and the post rate is down, but a bit of back to the future extravaganza re 996's this week in terms of blasts from the recent past (6 months to 2.5 years) in terms of unwanted triplets (996tt, 996C4S, 996 GT2 (well???) up for adoption at current asking prices. (PS 125k for the beast when I first came across it more than 2.5 years ago and saw PLENTY of value at circa 95k for my liking (cheap route to k16 hybids sorted and a long term keeper  with the car looking stock as  a rock) with no need to bet circa 30k on a tuner having all bases covered when you get a bit enthusiastic on the throttle in terms of bent rods or leaking coolant pipes.

Look what just dropped in my inbox, (yes had to take a second glance at the email date).  

Porsche, 911, Coupe

2002 Porsche 911 GT2 996 Manual MY02
cp5292996457273099823.jpg?aspect=centere

Kilometers Body
1,000km Coupe $101,000*

Transmission Engine
Manual 6cyl 3.6L

Private: Used | VIC
View Car

Edited by smit2100

Brow,

If you are interested in that one, this one at Autohaus would be worth a look too.

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-2001/OAG-AD-14439335/?Cr=2

From a quick look on Friday, it looked clean and straight and well cared for with perfect service records. 

Thanks for the direct insight. Did it look completely tarted up to be sold or good " normal operating condition" with a  spit and polish? Did it show many owners? 

Price$105,000*
Kilometres63,000
ColourMidnight Blue
Interior ColourBlack
Reg Plate695SOG
Body2 doors 4 seat Coupe

I have agreed to buy this subject to PPI. Does anyone 

think we are sayin the same things sort of. Though odd welds may indicate odd repair though may  not  signal deeply compromised. Though as it's an old car and a project at that should be approached as such . Buyer be informed.

but my Q's were how many pre 74 RHD projects are been seen and what should this and others similar be trading  for .

I think you have to look what these cars in good condition are selling for. Then look at what you are intending to purchase, what's there and how much you are going to have to spend to get the car up to the standard of the cars you are comparing it to in the first place. If you can do most of the work yourself and you enjoy doing that, you could end up with a car that you love because you have put many hour of blood sweat and tears into it, and hopefully worth way more than the efforts you put in, should you ever be able to part with it. 

I think if your were to start finding welds in the wrong places it would end up with a trip to the metal recyclers.

I may have to look at making inquiries into this one, if I could get it for the right price, there goes my spare time for the next few years.  

Edited by Port 911

Got to love a screenshot for the skimmers along with a link for the current tyre kickers who are into the detail.  10/10 sir.

No stories on that one  (eg its auto??? and if it was a manual I know someone who may have gobbled that up pretty quickly)

But on the topic of auto's and perhaps some value, I'm surprised no one posted a copy of a black one with a price drop to 75k pre argy bargy circa last week.  Ok, the black one did average aircooled kilometres, (eg another 160k km more than that one, but the stock motors apparently good for 590,000 miles (few laps around the block) if not flipping and driving is your thing. 

How does a auto rate over a manual in these cars when behind the wheel?  Not the same model, but I recently watched Matt Farah behind the wheel in a you tube vid in a 700hp 997.1 tt (pre pdk) auto around the Malibu hills and the elevator speech was if only this car had a "stick shift" as the downshifts in particular were terrible and he was worried about missed gear changes without having paddle shifters,.   That said, I did note a thread post on 6 speedonline with someone doing a paddle shifter mod on their 996tt (but skipped that one and opened the one talking clutch replacements)

mmm Auto v Manual . I get it. My GT3 is a keeper and it gives me (and pedestrian in voluntary auditory involvement )  all the driver involvement one could want. 996TT will be a regular .5 FTE DD hence Auto. 

Thanks for the direct insight. Did it look completely tarted up to be sold or good " normal operating condition" with a  spit and polish? Did it show many owners? 

The Autohaus one has just had the front bumper repainted for stone chips, the rear wing lift mechanism reconditioned and some suspension bushes replaced.  It is either a two or three owner car, sold new in WA and then QLD.  It struck me as a well loved car and certainly didn't strike me a mutton dressed as lamb.

As for auto vs manual, both have their own advantages depending on your circumstances.  Like you say, I think the perfect garage has one of each. 

I had an auto 996 TT and it drove and performed perfect though it had some mods. Before buying I would have imagined that this sort of car could only be enjoyed in a manual. I wouldn't hesitate to get another TT auto again.

I had an auto 996 TT and it drove and performed perfect though it had some mods. Before buying I would have imagined that this sort of car could only be enjoyed in a manual. I wouldn't hesitate to get another TT auto again.

Unfortunately not everyone shares your view ....

It's obvious by the way the autos sit on the market for a looooong time and how many autos are for sale compared to manuals.

I'm sure they are a great car, but like most Porsche enthusiasts, three pedals are a must ....

Unfortunately not everyone shares your view ....

It's obvious by the way the autos sit on the market for a looooong time and how many autos are for sale compared to manuals.

I'm sure they are a great car, but like most Porsche enthusiasts, three pedals are a must ....

On that basis here is one for the true  Porsche Enthusiast a red (heaps of unsold red 964's and 997's) manual Porsche (air cooled of course as power was so low).It may have 3 pedals (clutch and 2 brake pedals) plus throttle lever  :D

Image result for porsche tractor gearbox

Edited by Brow