Sad News

reax

This is shocking news! The deceased was one of the best Porsche cup drivers in the world and was destined for a huge future.I have been watching him since he came onto the scene.

His incar video on Youtube at the Nurburgring is absolutely amazing.

What a huge loss to his family, friends and the Porsche racing fraternity. RIP Sean  :(

All the best to the young fella that was driving the car too

Wow, I heard about this at work but I didn't realise who it was until just now.

That guys videos were pretty amazing, what a terrible loss, I have a son the same age, I cant imagine what his family are going through right now.

It would seem the only explanation is complete brake failure. You are carrying a fair old clip in a cup car by the braking area for turn 6. 

RIP Sean and all the very best of wishes to Will and his family. These are very active members of the Porsche community. 

ws Release

Oct. 15, 2013

No 125/13

Tragic accident as a passenger at a private driving event Deep mourning for race driver Sean Edwards Atlanta. The British race driver Sean Edwards was killed in a fatal accident today during a private driving training on the Queensland Raceway in Australia. The 26-year-old Edwards, who was contesting the Porsche Carrera Cup Deutschland and the Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup this season, was sitting in the passenger seat as an instructor when the accident happened. This news has sparked immense regret at Porsche. Edwards has for many years been one of the most popular and successful pilots in the Porsche one-make race series. "Our thoughts are with his family and we want to express our deepest condolences to his relatives," said Hartmut Kristen, Head of Motorsport at Porsche. In 2006, Edwards became champion in the FIA GT3 European Championship. He has competed in the Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup since 2008, and in the Porsche Carrera Cup Deutschland since 2010. Sean Edwards was the son of the ex-Formula One pilot Guy Edwards.

Official Porsche Press release

that is very tragic and just shows you that you can never make motorsport 100% safe. I guess that because deaths in motorsport are so much rarer these days, it takes us all by surprise when it does happen, although we all know the risk is always there. My sincerest condolences to all involved. RIP Sean

^i just looked up my incar footage of the GT3 spec Viper laps and I'm just hitting 200 there. That said, I reckon the Porsche would get off T5 better. A huge rate of knots to find you have no brakes in any case. 

I saw this from Porsche on Facebook to

Today we feel incomplete. An important part was taken from our Porsche family. We miss and grieve for Sean Edwards, a great race driver, friend and colleague. Our thoughts are with his family and we want to express our deepest condolences to his relatives.

1009192_10151949099057668_1938297228_o.j

There is a petition to make the last 2 rounds of supercup non points so that Sean will take the championship as he would have had he been here still.

We believe that the rightful champion of the 2013 season has already been crowned, however he won't be able to attend the final race to make it a formality. Racers and fans around the world are mourning the loss of driver, Sean Edwards, who currently leads the Supercup Championship by 18 points, with 3 wins in 7 races. With a win being worth 20 points, and Sean never having finished lower than 5th, he was bound to be champion. If his nearest competitor were to win both races at the final round, Sean would only need to match his worst finish so far (5th) and the championship would still go to him. If Sean were to win the first race of the weekend, he could park his car and score no points during race 2 - and still be champion. Even his competitors can't argue: Sean Edwards has dominated Porsche Supercup this year. He deserves the title.

We want to make sure that Sean goes down in the record books as he was in the hearts and minds of his family, friends and competitors: a Champion. Please dedicate the final two races of Porsche Supercup to Sean Edwards, implore your drivers to race in his honor and put on a fantastic show for the fans. Pay them their prize money and hire the good ones to factory drives for next year. But do not award them any points. 

http://www.change.org/petitions/porsche-motorsport-make-the-final-race-of-the-2013-supercup-season-a-non-points-race?share_id=rCOacgfjeZ&utm_campaign=share_button_mobile&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition

Archived