Barn find Porshe

9er

OK it wasn't in a barn, I found it on Gumtree.

It is an Australian made Porshe, deliberately missing the C in an attempt to not quite rip off the brand.

They were made in Adelaide in the late 70s and went on to become Ricardo Cycles, a short lived brand.

Hopefully I'm not the only one who thinks it is cool and collectible.

DSC_0689_zpsdeb2d153.jpg

DSC_0690_zps06d4b7f5.jpg

DSC_0693_zps7eec5e11.jpg

DSC_0695_zps2b1f6027.jpg

I'm pretty sure my best friend had a black RICARDO ten speed racer when we were at high school in Adelaide in the late seventies/early eighties... He stopped riding it after someone threw a hockey stick into the front wheel as he was riding it quite quickly... I remember this because it took quite a while for the doctors to scrub off the bitumen and gravel off his face... Cheers Jay for that harrowing memory if you're out there... Probs worse for you though.

: /

• 1 year later...

My brother had one of those bikes when we were kids (he's 5 years  older).  I think they had a Sturmey Archer 3 speed gear hub.  They are a right prick to adjust. The advice from Bobby Rust was if it's working don't pull it apart.  And he was always right.

There seems to be a number of ex-Adelaidians on here.  Where did you go to school Kerry?

Hey Stew, I did my first four years at Unley High, 78-81... however in those days I spent most of my spare time on four (much smaller) wheels, self-propelled, honing my slalom and (Sturt) drain skills in preparation for later in life opportunities...?

(see below)?

Edited by Kerry

• 5 years later...

Wow, I had.. not forgotten... but failed to connect that I had a Porshe bike when I was a kid!  Mine was gold and a different frame design, the little wheels of a kids bike.  I went tearing down the steep cul-de-sac at the end of our street and the back pedal brake failed when the chain came off.  I hit the 90 degree gutter at the bottom square-on and went flying.  Snapped the frame clean in half and knocked one of my front teeth (fortunately not an adult tooth) into three pieces when I landed on my face!

Hopefully not a portent for my second 'Porshe" ownership... 🤣

My brother had a purple metallic dragster of forgotten brand.  It had the shifter and it would always pop out of gear.  He binned it badly going down a hill and getting the speed wobbles. Dynamically to ride they are pretty bad.  It was right around the time that BMX became the thing to have, and I got one of those when it came time to get a new bike (although I always got used bikes).  I don't recall what happened to the dragster but he got a BMX at some point.  My first new bike was a 12-speed when I was in high school - still hanging on a hook waiting re-commissioning.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...