Highs and lows of your work day

Guest Harold

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 'second job' as a muso

High. Being invited to play at one of SA's best wineries and premiere music venues for big Australian acts (Bird in Hand WInery) for a black tie event with gorgeous ladies dressed up to the nines.

Low. Free alcohol for said gorgeous ladies (and their footy club partners) turning into ugly feral bogan morons making a mess of the place, spilling expensive red wine and broken glasses on carpeted dance floor, AND stealing wine from the barrel hall and hiding it outside.

Not only that, but grabbing our $5000 guitars and treating them like a $20 Ukelele!

And people laugh when we say we're going to bring our own chicken wire to gigs!

Maybe an electric fence would be more appropriate!

Bummer, I guess the venue doesn't necessarily mean a good crowd.

Too bad for you. Creativity should be appreciated. Next time?

Mate, I'm more disappointed for the winery staff!

We see it all the time at pubs n clubs. All ya need is alcohol and a few plonkers and it can turn ugly pretty quickly.
A fellow muso was involved in an all in brawl coupla weeks ago with 20 odd people at a respected pub.
That started when someone accidently spilt a drink!
Sad when people are like that

Guest Harold

High was going out in the boat and picking up a buoy in Yeomans Bay

Low was hearing a project I completed three months ago has a problem and has to be redone.

High : the Yankee July 4 long weekend has started, so my inbox is likely to be empty. Ankle biters are at grandparents for a couple of days. Peace and quiet.

Low : got a ton of work to get done today so it's ready for Monday am. The weather outside is a cracking day. Stuck inside on a day I should just blow off.

Summarise my week

High: My morning coffee (every day without fail, don't care if Im late to a meeting because of it)  :rolleyes:

Low: Travelling

Low: Get dragged into clients politics  :rolleyes:

High: Going home

Low: Getting home and still no finished driveway, so no Porsche at home to take frustration out on

High: Got in touch with my concreter to finish damn job,  he said yes but

Low: that is 3 weeks away... :lol: 

High: I took my pup to the office with me today  B)

Highs - None

Lows - Plenty.  Restructure under way,  interviewed for 2 roles. Didn't get second preference (but they didn't give that role to any of my colleagues) and should hear Monday about my first choice. Chances are slim tho and I'll go into 'redeployment' and at the end of 3 months if I don't get a job, I get a targeted separation package. 

This is why I sold my Boxster  - its all started just the way I thought it would!

Highs - None

Lows - Plenty.  Restructure under way,  interviewed for 2 roles. Didn't get second preference (but they didn't give that role to any of my colleagues) and should hear Monday about my first choice. Chances are slim tho and I'll go into 'redeployment' and at the end of 3 months if I don't get a job, I get a targeted separation package. 

This is why I sold my Boxster  - its all started just the way I thought it would!

That sucks.

If you want some unsolicited advice start looking for something new now before all your colleagues flood the market with similar skills. Helps to take control over your own destiny too. You might even be able to get a package up front if you put your hand up.

Guest Harold

Well, today was fabulous as we spent the day at The Basin.

High, sitting in the sun on the buoy with a beer in my hand thinking, "what is work"

Low, work calling and asking me about the bank guarantee for our new premises,

Going to stay here until Monday and that counts as a super high

High - Planning to finish work by 11 to spend the day with my boys.

Low - Finishing at 1.

High - Spending the rest of the day indoor rock climbing with my sons.

IMAG0564_zpsx4mxmc2w.jpg

I just thought of a High - finding a job with a car allowance = Boxster again!!!!!!

SILVER LININGS PEOPLE AND POSITIVE THINKING :)

:P

*cough...........maybe even a nice little Targa! 

*cough...........maybe even a nice little Targa! 

I'll certainly consider that when the time is right Hugh. Here's hoping the hike in prices doesn't take the Targa with it just yet :D  also, if I could find a close by parking spot for a Targa - I'd keep the MINI and have best of both worlds! 

Amanda, what sort of work do you do?

Hi Harold,

I'm in IT - I'm a Major Incident Manager working for a State Government Agency in Victoria. We manage IT Services for 11 State Departments and some 50,000 users :D  I've been here 11 years this month and originally started out as a Lotus Notes Administrator. 

It's time to move on but given my years of service, it would be more beneficial for me to ride this out and see if I get a package.  I would love to take a few months off work - hence why I have chosen the route I have, ie not just gotten myself another job!

Guest Harold

Amanda, I understand completely. Good luck with your redundancy!

I am going to make a couple of people redundant very soon, more an opportunity to get rid of some recalcitrant people than economic necessity.

High today was fishing from the dinghy with my son and catching absolutely nothing!

Low was thinking that tomorrow morning it is time to return to the berth at church point. Cest la vie.

Archived