Highs and lows of your work day

Guest Harold

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HIGH : Knowing i only have 2 days to go working here with 2 brothers

LOW : the battle they want to make sure i dont take any of my personal property like my mobile phone number

I'm in family business also Tony, but only with one brother and a pretty easy going one at that. 10 years on and I'm very lucky as is he.

Unfortunately the best way to ruin a friendship or a family is to get into business together, and if that doesn't screw things, wait until one person wants out.........You see a side of people you would never expect.

Good luck with the change. Sounds like it's for the best.

Oh did I have a great day onsite today! Easy job and good money. Client a great bloke (obviously a bikie) and has some awesome boy toys like an off its head newer Monaro and Ferrari 360 thats been heavily modified in engine department. I get fed and beers after the job hanging out with his ex missus who still lives there ( a rather attractive 'exotic dancer with stripper pole in her own bedroom) then he takes me for a spin in the Ferrari. I can honestly say I've never been that scared in my entire life!! 185kph on a main road and we hit a train line and I swear we got airborne with the engine screaming! 
I think I wee'd a bit! 
Then its back to the house for a Johnny Walker blue, and do I want to go for a ride in the 750hp Monaro? Errrr, no thanks bud, I think ill either have a hearty or die in a fiery crash!! 
He's a f#*&*ng LUNATIC!! Yet it was hilariously funny and unnerving at the same time. That Ferrari was insane, and.just kept accelerating thru the gears. 
I just got home after his grog and 2 of my own Jack Daniels, and my hands are still shaking! 
Sorry to rant, but that was one of THE most awesome things I've ever experienced in any car, and I want one!

Guest Harold

High today was taking my wife for morning tea to Palm Beach.

Another high was going for a ride on my motor bike to the road warrior cafe this afternoon.

Low was having to take a phone call from work and not understanding why they needed to call me on something so trivial.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got out of our monthly safety meeting with the Health and Safety Rep for the guys on the floor.

Stu the location manager says to Barry in a joking but with an underlying tone of seriousness “Well I’m sure you would agree Barry that Martins a much nicer person to deal with than me.” Then gives him his best location manager stare.

Barry the HSR almost chokes and spits out .2 of a second later  “No Stuart, I very much don’t think so”

Ahhh job done.

Lows..... getting up at 5.15am to go to work.

Highs.... Getting home at 9am and having the rest of the day to do whatever.....

Low..... Being bored s**tless all day, everyday

Semi retirement isn't all it's cracked up to be.....

Only for the first while......

It gets quite monotonous after a while.

Was in the corporate world for 12 years and it stimulated the mind..

Now the mind is going to mush.....

Heard that before. Buy another car and restore it. No excuse for not learning new skills along the way.

I work fulltime and have a busy family life and fill the rest of my pre-retirement hours doing a multitude of things I will just amp up in my retirement.

Look busy...Jesus is coming  :rolleyes:

Guest Harold

High today.....packing to go to the snow tomorrow

Low today.....packing to go to the snow today. Seriously my wife has no idea of travelling light. We need to buy a full sized removal truck to go for a week.

Another high was hearing about the dump of snow at Thredbo.

Low today, 25 more people from our site will be made redundant next week, if we don't get another contract in the next 2-3 months their will probably be another 40-50 gone, I need to find another job.

Low: Today is my last day on what has been a very interesting consulting project and I have had a massive learning curve.  The actual low point is I have only just discovered the best parking spots and the best place to get coffee on my last day.

High: I just tabled an efficiency report to RAAF headquarters with a swag of bigwigs, and they are all happy with my report and the recommendations I have developed.  Not only that, I have had to work with some industry leaders in business consulting and I think I learned more in the last four weeks than the three years I spent with Aurecon.

Guest Harold

Low today, the wretched drive to Thredbo and the fact it is all snowed in. We can't access the garage as the snow has made it impossible.

High has to be sitting here looking out at the snow covered mountains with the biggest decision being where do we go for dinner.

High : not being hungry , shot at , homeless or chilled to the bone.

Low : it would have to be pretty bad to rate , given the above. So despite day to day and indeed , day after day irritations , none.

All things considered , we are a lucky country.

Low today, the wretched drive to Thredbo and the fact it is all snowed in. We can't access the garage as the snow has made it impossible.

High has to be sitting here looking out at the snow covered mountains with the biggest decision being where do we go for dinner.

Harold, you really break my heart on a regular basis!!! Enjoy the top to bottom.

Guest Harold

High of the day was definitely watching my 10 year old son go off on a private snowboarding lesson. Independence, hard to take.

The low was hearing there is a huge dump coming tomorrow at Thredbo and we have to leave on Sunday morning. Might have to come back in a weeks time.

This Monday will be both highs and lows. I finish up at a placement after 2 1/2 years. Some really great people there that I'm sure I will miss working with. They've been fantastic support since my wife got sick. The high is Tuesday I will start with a new client. Looking forward to a change of project types. The low of that is it all starts over again. But then again thats a high of my job as well, developing the client/supplier relationship. Thats as much fun as the work itself.

HIGH: Get a call asking if I wanted a move to pick up promotion, speak with wife to confirm happiness level. All good.

LOW: Calling back to be told, oh, you still have to apply for said job and there are interviews and a process to go through. le sigh.

EXTREMELY LOW: Calling wife back and explaining situation.

My 'second job' as a muso

High. Being invited to play at one of SA's best wineries and premiere music venues for big Australian acts (Bird in Hand WInery) for a black tie event with gorgeous ladies dressed up to the nines.

Low. Free alcohol for said gorgeous ladies (and their footy club partners) turning into ugly feral bogan morons making a mess of the place, spilling expensive red wine and broken glasses on carpeted dance floor, AND stealing wine from the barrel hall and hiding it outside.

Not only that, but grabbing our $5000 guitars and treating them like a $20 Ukelele!

And people laugh when we say we're going to bring our own chicken wire to gigs!

Maybe an electric fence would be more appropriate!

Archived