911 Alternative - similar money, but arguably a better car????

Seems there is a real lack of love for the Cayman on this forum.. yes I am a little biased and yes I want a dirty old aircooled oil leaking 911 too... 

But in these times where a 160hp car made in 1978 costs $49000 today, and no shortage of buyers it would seem, perhaps there is a temporary "fix" for those wanting a nice flat six with fantastic performance, no oil leaks, power steering and aircon that works. 

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Cayman-2006/SSE-AD-2740240/?Cr=1&sdmvc=1

ScreenShot2014-07-05at54828pm_zps727d54c

Can't say I've heard anyone say anything against the Cayman on this forum.

I think it's more that there aren't that many Caymans around, and therefore not much chat.

Like you say, you get plenty of car for your money.

Didn't Jim Richards take a Cayman on the Targa Tas?

Yes Mike,

I really should eat better, exercise more and own a Cayman.

But I'm content how I am and like old air cooled cars.

You are absolutely correct that they are THE rational choice but logic often doesn't figure highly here....

I don't think anyone is particularly against Caymans or Boxsters here, there is just a big contingent of air-cooled fans on the forum who aren't interested in anything past a 993 - its got nothing to do with anything other than nostalgia and character as far as I can tell. I've got access to a SC that I drive weekly, you'd have to be on drugs to claim its a better car than any of the watercooled cars that have followed it.

It will be interesting to see what happens when all air cooled cars cost more than 996s and 997s, which seems likely to happen. Will saner heads prevail, or will nostalgia and character win out?

For me its air cooled for the occaisional weekend blast, water cooled for the daily drive. Both fun, but one is more usable.

yeah, i know people dont hate them.... just seems to be a lack of discussion. I agree about the sentiment and nostalgia...

The value is immense... take a look at this , 2007, 180kw, only 53000kms... non molested... no rhd conversions or different interiors.. great looking car too... I think one of each is a good idea steve.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Cayman-2007/SSE-AD-2882445/?Cr=0&sdmvc=1

ScreenShot2014-07-05at70325pm_zpse201843

They represent wonderful bang for the buck for sure  BUT as often happens with brands like Porsche, the hard core fans (lets face it, most people on forums are hard core fans of a brand) will always be drawn to the more Iconic offerings of that brand and that as we all know is the air-cooled 911.

Its been said a lot of times on this forum that plenty of members would have a 987 variant as a DD if they could swing it.

Also 987s will continue to depreciate. Most cars on this forum are weekend toys and therefore I imagine the attraction to ownership is knowing that your car isn't just sitting there depreciating over time.

Then again, I had a 987 for 11 months and sold it $1000 less than I paid for it - sure I spent $$ on IMS but really, that was pretty bloody good I thought.

I love the cayman and can see one in my future, at some point. I tend to agree with Chris Harris and personally couldn't justify paying more for a  new 911 when the cayman is so good  and all the car most ppl could need. Having said that I can't see myself being in the car market for a long time

An alternative to the quirky yet loveable VW-associated aircooled 911 design? 

Pure race derived features , 100% pure Porsche -  & clean slate design?

Better handling and comfort? Aluminium + leather? Room for kids?

Ability to spin the back tyres off the lights? DIY upkeep? Cheap?

Better power to weight than na 997?

You know where this is leading  :P

I wouldn't mind a cayman, but if I can help it won't sell my SC until I have to trade it on a Zimmer frame..!! So getting two P cars into the garage has its challenges......mind you, I'd also love a 997, and a stinking hot 60's Camaro, and also........

I'd have a Cayman in a heartbeat, as I prefer the shape to any late Porsche.

Though I'd be putting wings and big wheels on it and turn it into a road/race replica

Maybe one day

It was the Cayman that made me look twice at Porsche. Its a beautiful shape and I nearly bought one, well not nearly, my budget didn't make sense. However the get in and drive a totally hot reliable Porsche tempted me.

I'm glad I bought the older Boxter for a project vehicle.

Now I see the air cooled Porsche all over the place and want one of them.

One day... Best be working on creating greater income for now.

Call me "nostalgic and sentimental" but I never dreamed of owning a sports car based on air con and power steering, if anything it was the opposite.

The retail price of a brand new STI WRX makes the Cayman or a 911 for that matter seem highly unjustifiable but again that's missing the point. People don't buy sports cars based on rationality, they buy them based their own 'values' and different people value different things.

Worth noting the value in a 944 or 928 while we are on the topic of Porsche bang for buck, either can hold their own against the 'value' proposition alongside a Cayman or 911.

Love them all to bits, just happy with my old chitty chitty bang bang 911 (that doesn't leak by the way!)

When ya put it that way Hugh, I'll have yours thanks!

My missus wants a newer car, so I just showed her this thread.

'No, I need a battering ram for the daily freak hour traffic' was her retort.

Damn it

Perhaps the lack of Cayman chatter is a reflection of the typical Cayman owner. Drivers who want a no fuss, reliable, modern sports car they can use every day. I don't see a lot modified, customised, or track driven Caymans out there. The fact they are such a good package straight out of the box means they just get driven by the few who have got them. "Not that there's anything wrong with that""."

The Cayman is a most misunderstood model I agree. Most see it as a Boxster "with a roof" and others just see it as a poor man's 911.

IMHO it is neither.

The Cayman so poorly understood and experienced because there's so few of them (just look at the selection available right now) and the misconceptions about them camouflages an amazing driving car.

How anyone could justify $50-60K for a Golf R, S3 or even Megane RS over a Cayman just bewilders me.

I drove the new Cayman S at a drive day 2 weeks ago and it is the best "driving" Porsche of the current crop of cars....not kidding at all.

The original poster has made a well placed comment.....I wholly agree with him.

I love the Cayman

My budget wouldn't quite get there when i was buying 

Theres something about the shape of Cayman's and 944's that i really like.

For me they are both excellent Porsches with a "point of difference" from the norm.

How anyone could justify $50-60K for a Golf R, S3 or even Megane RS over a Cayman just bewilders me.

They all have back seats. It's a big consideration for a lot of people looking for a modern yet practical sports car.

They all have back seats. It's a big consideration for a lot of people looking for a modern yet practical sports car.

Very true. Back seats brought me back to a 911 from a Boxster when I was buying. Mind you, I think I've only had back seat passengers 3 times in seven years.

Very true. Back seats brought me back to a 911 from a Boxster when I was buying. Mind you, I think I've only had back seat passengers 3 times in seven years.

My 928 has sunvisors for "back seat passengers" ; Stuttgart realised people got tired holding their hands in front of their terrified eyes for hours on the autobahn.

Were your back seat passengers also drivers? That might explain the lack of wear on those squabs in recent times  :)

Guest Harold

Drove the 991S and said yes.

Not sure what value has to do with it. It is more about what you like and, of course, can afford.

As I type this I am sitting in the flybridge of my boat at The Basin. My boat cost well and truly into 7 figures yet there are people out here in $60k boats. Ostensibly they all do the same thing ie float and go. Everyone is happy and value is simply a perceived element.

Archived