The year long wait is almost over

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All - bahaha - it wasn't a dream. I just ended up having to shoot off for work a couple of days earlier than intended, got back late last night.

I'd just about given up hope of finding a car that ticked most of my boxes, but on the 29th of June a car came up that had me interested immediately.

Gave the seller a buzz, he wasn't flexible on price but needed to do something sooner rather than later. Being a loud colour, and one which I know a lot of people can't stand I opted to play it cool. 3 days later I get a text - 'you can have it for 10k less than advertised but the deal needs to be done by this weekend'. Hurriedly give the seller a call and find out that hes made the same offer to another bloke - it was at this point I decide stuff it 'i'll take the car!' (mind you no ppi has been done at this point).

The car is located on the Sunshine Coast and although he could take it down to brissy, he really doesn't want to. I flick him a deposit to let him know I'm serious, and he agrees to take the car to someone local. A risk I know, but at this point I just had to lock this deal in, it was $20k less than a very similar car I almost bought a few months prior (although that one was the wrong colour: black).

Car goes in and everything comes back as ok - I'm still sceptical simply because this guy is so hurried in his need to do a deal, and I couldn't get a proper PPI done. He also doesn't respond to texts or emails past 8pm which had me a bit worried as well.

Give Porsche Australia a buzz to confirm the options on the car, and Porsche Brisbane to confirm the service history.

By now it is Friday night and our seller wants the car gone this weekend, on Saturday I wake up and I'm crook, that wouldn't normally be an issue but I also had major dizzy spells - I'm not driving to the corner shop in this state let alone back from QLD. Give the seller a buzz to break the news and he takes it well, as long as it is gone Monday or Tuesday it is fine, turns out hes bought another car and wants my cheque cleared before Thursday when he takes delivery of his new wheels.

My problem being that I've got a work trip scheduled for Thursday so I need to really move to get this car, added to the fact that I've only given him a deposit at this point and there is nothing to stop him flicking the car to someone else.

Later that day i get a call from the shop where the car was inspected - 'we need your email to send the report, by the way do you know who that guy was that brought the car in?' Nope says I none the wiser. Turns out the car is owned by a former World Super Bike and moto GP rider, current tv commentator (not going to out him just for privacy sake although its probably obvious to some). It was at this point that I stopped chewing my nails and calmed down a bit about the car. The mileage was likely legit, and the seller wasn't likely to be dodgy. Immediately book my flight for Monday (my birthday) and head up the coast to meet this guy.

Flight is on time, and Dave* comes to pick me up in the car. It has been de-registered and plates removed so this is likely to be a fun trip. Dave has also organised the permit for me to drive the car as I wasn't able to as a non-qlder without heading into their equivalent of the RTA. This Dave bloke is a pretty good egg I'm thinking by this point :)

Head back to his house where I give the car a once over, have a chat, meet his wife and daughter, exchange what we need to and I'm off. Dave is a bloody good bloke gives me a bunch of the original stuff that he got with the car. He bought the car from new and had no problem giving me the original sales contract also.

Down the motorway to just outside the gateway bridge I stop for the first course of maccas. It was at this point that I start thinking you know what? I could just drive all night and get this bad boy home to get it registered quicker and maybe take it for a decent drive before the work trip. It is already 5:30pm by this point so this rules out New England Highway, too many roos. I had also originally planned to stop overnight along the way and drive down Thunderbolt's Way. I burn my plans and settle in for the night on the Pacific Highway.

The trip from this point was fairly uneventful - I had to stop for fuel twice. Dual carriageway is replacing most of the road on the way down, there are only a couple hundred kms that aren't done (or at least it felt like that) the big bug-bear of the trip was the fact that nothing was open on the north coast of NSW including anywhere to buy fuel north of Grafton, luckily I topped up in QLD, and the other was random roadworks for no reason that I could possibly see. My favourite being 20km of bollards on completed dual carriage-way with one lane closed in and around Coffs Harbour.

I had 2 police cars and one police bike tail me for 5mins or so on different occaisions obviously due to a lack of plates - none of which bothered to pull me over. I just sat on cruise control most of the way. The cop on the bike gave me a good look as he came past, just sat staring in the window for a few hundred metres, I gave him a wave and he took off.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't blast out of 99% of the road works zones though, of which there would have been 30+ :)

Stopped for my second maccas outside of Taree, had to stop 4 times for a leak by the side of the road past Grafton because by this point it was getting really late and I basically had coke on an IV. Had the odd p-plater try and race me in some of the towns but they gave up pretty quickly when they realised I wasn't biting.

The only scary thing was the 2-4am truck and dog drivers drifting across or off the road. In a small car they seem extra large and I was on a mission to floor it past any of them I came across. No desire to end up a red smear on the road thanks.

Got back to Sydney and out west to my home in record time due to very little traffic at 4am.

The drive was pleasant, the car can be civil when you need it to be, or more hard edged when that suits. Was a pretty awesome first start to ownership of the car in the end. I'm pretty lucky though, living in a rural area means there are plenty of wide open roads only a few kms from my house.

Anyway, without further ado:

2007 997.1 S Manual

Factory options

- 19" Carerra Classic Wheel

- Wheel Caps w/ Porsche Crest

- Sports Chrono Package Plus

- Interior Carbon Package

- Sport Shifter

- Sports Exhaust System

- More random carbon

- Stupid leather mats (only imo).

- Adaptive Sports Seats these aren't listed on the contract but seem to be in the car. Or did all 997.1 S come with the option in Australia?

Best of all - the car isn't Silver / Grey / White or Black!!! (no offense to owners of the aforementioned, I just prefer loud colours)

edit - the car after the trip down has 21,000km.

Picking the car up:

20140707_152644-Copy.jpg

I really need to lose some weight:

20140707_152703-Copy.jpg

4:30am and 1000km later:

20140708_045100-Copy.jpg

Call the detailer - 11hrs in a car on a mission:

20140708_045157-Copy.jpg

Next to one of the barges the next day:

20140709_115156-Copy.jpg

Next to the other yellow thing (don't mind the mess):

20140709_115800-Copy.jpg