Carrera3.0 - return to stock for sale?

I'm about to put my '77 Carrera3.0 on the market.  It's currently in (very mild) 70's hotrod guise with 15" gold BBS wheels wearing chunky 215/60 and 195/65 tyres, flat rear deck lid with custom Carrera3.0 decal instead of the badge, matching gold Porsche "negative" side scripts, Cibie lights on the hood and chrome headlight rings.  It is a dark green (Oak?) and the gold and chrome accents look great (IMO).  Always draws a crowd and positive comments at Cars n Coffee etc.

Mechanically, it is in excellent health with the usual upgrades - 11 blade fan, pressure fed tensioners, SSI exhaust, rebuilt gearbox, rebuilt fuel system etc.  It is a factory RHD (not Aust del) matching numbers, non sunroof, coupe.

I have the original 16 x 7 and 8" Fuchs, the correct twin grill rear wing (with a perfect rubber), a spare bonnet, original headlight trims etc.

I have always thought that stock cars appeal to the widest audience and thus sell more quickly and achieve the highest value.  That said, there seems to be a lot of love out there for period style hotrods at the moment.  I see my options as:

1. return to stock and then offer for sale.

2. offer as is (and sell the factory parts separately - there is always a strong market for wheels, tails etc).

3. offer as is, and mention in the ad that the stock parts are available and that I'm happy to work with a serious buyer to configure the car (and its price) to suit the buyer.

So, what say the collective? 1, 2, 3 or other?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do you want to sell it?  And would you get your investment back if you sold it as is?  Do you really want to play around with returning the car to stock, only to sell it for someone else to enjoy your efforts?   Lots of questions :)

So long as you have the original parts along with the sale I don't see any problems with selling as is. Sounds like you have done some nice mods so win win for a prospective buyer IMO. 

Good luck - would be keen to see some pics and an indication of pricing if and when appropriate.  :)

Option 3, return to stock for maximum audience and the negotiate with buyer if they want these parts.

You can then sell whatever is not taken as hotrod parts.

Either way, you won't get more money for the car with the parts on.

Firstly we need pictures.

Personally I would go with option 3. If the purchaser doesn't want the parts then flog them off here. I would be interested as I am sure others would be.

Question, the original Fuchs would have been 15's wouldn't they?

For what it's worth .....

Return to stock as it will have a wider appeal to those not wanting a modded car. Also, it will appear non messed with which will go further to it being original. Anyone wanting to alter the car will still have the option to do so.

Advertise the parts saying they will fit this car and will negotiate with serious buyer. Otherwise sell the parts separately.

So all in all I say option 1.

I think it will have more value and appeal if you keep the car and stock parts altogether.

- option 1 if returning to stock is easy and sell off hotrod parts

- option 3 would have to be offered with stock parts to achieve best price and would not require effort of returning to stock.

Pics would be nice :)

Looks great .....

The problem you have is that there are 2 distinct markets ....

One that loves the look of your car as is and would buy it because it is .....

And the other that wouldn't buy it because it is like that ...

Either way, it will sell ... its just working out which market will pay more or has a larger audience .....

Good luck with that one ....

Option 4 - you adopt me

Ryan leave the car as is - stellar!!!

Easy sell. to think anyone would be put off by the cosmetics it's not like you went and painted it purple and put in a yellow velour interior

Gents this ain't no forward date back date proposition headache - it's a few 'market sanctioned goodies bolted on

Leave as is sell lock stock n barrel - that way new owner can mix n match as their fancy takes em

Enough of this bandy legged anorak originality

Its all easily reversible mods, in the current climate you wont find anyone that would discount it based on them alone. 

Don't see why it should be an issue or concern, looks like a nice car regardless and I'm sure you wont have an issue moving it. 

Looks great to me, I was under the impression 15" was the go, and the side indicators are Euro spec.

Considering a UK import with about 400000kms and 3 engine rebuilds and nowhere near this much street appeal sold for $95K last week you should be fine. But I would say that wouldn't I. 

Option 4 - you adopt me

Ryan leave the car as is - stellar!!!

Easy sell. to think anyone would be put off by the cosmetics it's not like you went and painted it purple and put in a yellow velour interior

Gents this ain't no forward date back date proposition headache - it's a few 'market sanctioned goodies bolted on

Leave as is sell lock stock n barrel - that way new owner can mix n match as their fancy takes em

Enough of this bandy legged anorak originality

Totally agree - you have created a hipsters dream. Someone on this forum recently blamed them for all of the rises in prices, so go test the market.

Archived