911 Hotrod buy or Build

Spannerhead

$80k for an engine, wow.  What's that give you, 350hp? 

No wonder the yanks put LS1s in them (not condoning that behaviour!).  

Makes a GT3 look cheap.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I wonder who is still building a car? I have been pretty vocal on the forum about the $115k and 130k prices for the backdates for sale

I personally have been in infinite circles for 4 montts … Im debating now in my head atleast a 996 turbo ..but still hooked  an air cooled ..albeit that the prices are really mental 

Im still toying at buying a road/driveday, track toy , not to compete but to do drive days, skid pan sessions, maybe a hill climb and some tech driving tuition so that I can enjoy the journey without the precious worry of the near perfect 993TT , I own getting bingled.

I had originally set my self a budget of 40-65k for my plaything , i thought I might but something someone had done for them selves and add a little spice.

So hopefully without hijacking the whole thread with ersonal agenda I would love some views on mechano set pieces estimates , if you were to build a street car , not as lush as skunkworkls style or backdate.

I ask as I have mentioned a few of the cars I have seen have been sold but others are still knocoking around and actually have come off carsales etc…

I think its fair to say after tracking the market for the last 6 months and actively viewing for 4 , the hotrod market other than backdates or perfect builds..is slow and and I am still in touch with some of the owners of the original cars I saw.

It would seem a cheap 964 and or 993 are almost unheard of , so im thinking of gain going back to some owners and see what I can cook up.

It seems prices other than the professional builds seem to fall in the region of component value  of some sorts

So with the 40-80k budget in mind , what would be on your hit list as im sure there is some value to be had in buying second hand parts , that still have life of course.

As an example there was a 86 3.2 with a 930 motor two months back , which I undertand didnt sell an I was looking at its component value.. Maybe it could go back to a 3.2 for example realise it value and then you would have a cheap 930 motor :)

So along those lines , i wonder whats a good, 930  993 or 964 motor worth ? Freshened up , not necesrily worked or race prepped?

Whats a G50 worth?

Whats a dog eared 3.0,  3.2 imported body worth?

Whats the view on fibreglass , panels vs steel body and wide conversions.

In people experiences of taking cars like these on track/drive days , do they really need cages and or strut braces

Do SC's and 3.2's really need 930 torsion bars ?

If second hand/ recon parts are the theme , would you need for a normally aspirated 3.6 or 3.2 , do you think 993 turbo or 930 turbo brakes is the best option? As there seem to be a few ebayable items available that would keep costs of a build down

The same could be said of Bilstein Hd's and sports mufflers that seem to come up quite often for sale.. are these good enough for a build?

Appreciate the debate and your input and your advice

yeah this confuses me, never had insurance issues with my conversion, nor has ferds

the issues I forsee are

(1) insurance, you will need to declare to your insurer that the car is modified, in this case relatively heavily modified which many insurers will not be interested in. Failing to disclose opens you up to an insurer refusing to pay for undisclosed mods. 

(2) rego, having spent the last few day days reading over Vicroads modification guidelines my head feels like it will pop. Technically you need an engineer to produce a VAAS engineering certification. 

So yes, if you disclose everything and spend months getting your engineering certification then no problems. However 95% of us will just drop the 3.6 in (it's a porsche engine isn't it) and drive it until we are defected on another issue (say the wheels that are way over the allowable modification limit) and then have a road authority engineer opening up a can of whoop arse, or a wrecked 911 and an insurer refusing to pay due to undisclosed mods.

Like most things in life, only a problem if things go horribly wrong...

So I wonder who is still building a car? I have been pretty vocal on the forum about the $115k and 130k prices for the backdates for sale

I personally have been in infinite circles for 4 montts … Im debating now in my head atleast a 996 turbo ..but still hooked  an air cooled ..albeit that the prices are really mental 

Im still toying at buying a road/driveday, track toy , not to compete but to do drive days, skid pan sessions, maybe a hill climb and some tech driving tuition so that I can enjoy the journey without the precious worry of the near perfect 993TT , I own getting bingled.

I had originally set my self a budget of 40-65k for my plaything , i thought I might but something someone had done for them selves and add a little spice.

So hopefully without hijacking the whole thread with ersonal agenda I would love some views on mechano set pieces estimates , if you were to build a street car , not as lush as skunkworkls style or backdate.

I ask as I have mentioned a few of the cars I have seen have been sold but others are still knocoking around and actually have come off carsales etc…

I think its fair to say after tracking the market for the last 6 months and actively viewing for 4 , the hotrod market other than backdates or perfect builds..is slow and and I am still in touch with some of the owners of the original cars I saw.

It would seem a cheap 964 and or 993 are almost unheard of , so im thinking of gain going back to some owners and see what I can cook up.

It seems prices other than the professional builds seem to fall in the region of component value  of some sorts

So with the 40-80k budget in mind , what would be on your hit list as im sure there is some value to be had in buying second hand parts , that still have life of course.

As an example there was a 86 3.2 with a 930 motor two months back , which I undertand didnt sell an I was looking at its component value.. Maybe it could go back to a 3.2 for example realise it value and then you would have a cheap 930 motor :)

So along those lines , i wonder whats a good, 930  993 or 964 motor worth ? Freshened up , not necesrily worked or race prepped?

Whats a G50 worth?

Whats a dog eared 3.0,  3.2 imported body worth?

Whats the view on fibreglass , panels vs steel body and wide conversions.

In people experiences of taking cars like these on track/drive days , do they really need cages and or strut braces

Do SC's and 3.2's really need 930 torsion bars ?

If second hand/ recon parts are the theme , would you need for a normally aspirated 3.6 or 3.2 , do you think 993 turbo or 930 turbo brakes is the best option? As there seem to be a few ebayable items available that would keep costs of a build down

The same could be said of Bilstein Hd's and sports mufflers that seem to come up quite often for sale.. are these good enough for a build?

Appreciate the debate and your input and your advice

For me at least, I kept my eyes peeled and snagged a very cheap non running mid year coupe about a month ago. It was exactly what I was looking for which is a converted RHD base. This is good in my eyes as I am going to make a weekend street track car. It will still be a very nice looking car when I am finished, but I don't have to worry about ruining its authenticity or taking it on the track. For me the benefit of building it myself is that I enjoy the journey. I can gradually change the set up as I go, and the car can evolve along with me as a driver. If you see the Petrolicious videos on Jack Olsens 911, that is what I am looking at. I think if I had someone build me a "perfect" car straight up, I would probably enjoy it for a year or 2 and then sell it looking for the next project.

3.9 with ITBs, gt3 crank, pauter rods etc is roughly 75-80k. Minus the crank and 3.9 P&Cs and you have something like mine.

correct but i would do it again in a heartbeat. Mind you it would cost a lot more given the value of the A$ and donor cars compared to this time last year

spoken like a man who has done it

Shannons didnt care too much about me saying I had a 3.6, its noted, however they never asked whether it was mod plated along with it.

However I believe in their fine print, itll say, they only support legal mods and since it has no plate it is therefore an illegal mod and will void the insurance. Basically everything is fine up until the moment it happens...

Since the re-release of the targa it's got me thinking about how you could do an IB targa and refine the exterior's lines a bit. May have to put pen to paper.

The issue (visually) with the targa is the sharp angle between roll hoop and rear window.  This is in sharp contrast to the flowing roofline of the coupe.  The 991 targa has a more flowing roofline where the roll hoop angles down to match the rear window.

if you were to re-imagine the targa this would be the best place to start.  If you could manufacture a new targa hoop and (!) rear window and get a flowing line in, happy days.  

For some reason, certain colors/stances and wide bodies seem to lessen the impact, probably by drawing the eye off to somewhere else.

The issue (visually) with the targa is the sharp angle between roll hoop and rear window.  This is in sharp contrast to the flowing roofline of the coupe.  The 991 targa has a more flowing roofline where the roll hoop angles down to match the rear window.

if you were to re-imagine the targa this would be the best place to start.  If you could manufacture a new targa hoop and (!) rear window and get a flowing line in, happy days.  

For some reason, certain colors/stances and wide bodies seem to lessen the impact, probably by drawing the eye off to somewhere else.

I think the roll bar needs to be a couple of inches lower and possibly stood up by a degree or so, then the rear window will look racier.  And brushed stainless steel.  As it is, the window roughly follows the line of the rear until it gets near the roll bar when it flattens off a bit.  Depending on how the roll bar accept the glass this may have been necessary to fix the glass properly.  The roll bar is also at a quite different angle to the rear of the door, which makes it kind of stick out like dog's goolies.  There's a lot going on at the top of the door where it meets the bar.  I'd also do something with the front fender line where it continues beyond the headlight rings.  They kind of pop up in the air at the last minute.  And flush (glue in) front & rear screens & side glass.   Just for starters.

And I hate the term "re-imagined".  But I know what you mean.

Shannons didnt care too much about me saying I had a 3.6, its noted, however they never asked whether it was mod plated along with it.

However I believe in their fine print, itll say, they only support legal mods and since it has no plate it is therefore an illegal mod and will void the insurance. Basically everything is fine up until the moment it happens...

yup

mine is mod plated with the brake upgrade as a requirement, so as expected not a difficult thing to engineer.

not quite in the budget but 750 bhp ..is that enough bang for the buck 

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2001/SSE-AD-3261389/?Cr=29

or a bit less for 78k

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2004/SSE-AD-3399398/?Cr=57

Can we back date these ?

in either case you'd want carillo or pauter rods to insure against an expensive kerboom

Porsche-911-60sp-Carscoop1.jpg

I wonder do 997 wings and headlamps fit on a 996 ;)   controversial I know 

Or you could just buy a kit 

http://www.custom-concepts.nl/en/catalogue/porsche/996-custom-classic/body-ducktail-996-detail

http://www.custom-concepts.nl/en/catalogue/porsche/996-custom-classic/body-classic-grill-lampenset-detail

Hotrods hmmmm Cheap Hot Rods 

I wonder do 997 wings and headlamps fit on a 996 ;)   controversial I know 

Or you could just buy a kit 

http://www.custom-concepts.nl/en/catalogue/porsche/996-custom-classic/body-ducktail-996-detail

http://www.custom-concepts.nl/en/catalogue/porsche/996-custom-classic/body-classic-grill-lampenset-detail

Hotrods hmmmm Cheap Hot Rods 

Nice find!  Did you see this one? 997 Cab to Targa Kit.

http://www.custom-concepts.nl/en/catalogue/porsche/9972-turbo/carbon-targa-hardtop-detail

There are a number of 996 to 997 conversion kits out there.

I bought a 75 Carrera with 3.6 993 conversion about 24month ago for 40k, it was used at some stage in its life on the track, I wont go into detail with what, but the car has had a lot changed and this is good, bought someones project for cheap. But and Im only realizing this now, this makes it insanely difficult to work on, because parts are custom or have been upgraded, and theres no reference anymore. It makes it all fun, finding your car has added value, but you have to reverse engineer everto the point where something breaks and you need to replace it. The merit in doing it yourself means you can track the changes... information is power.

I like your idea of the 996 T symsy, next big up coming bubble, want my car so I can get one? :)

Archived