Your Magnus Walker style build, non 911

Random thought last night over beers with some mates. We were watching some of the Magnus film clips and how he loves to get out day and night and drive his cars. Apart from saying "we should do that so much more, just get out and drive for no other reason", we raised a hypothetical question:

You're buildiing your own Magnus Walker type of car (911's are too dear so they are out):

It has to be pre 1990, the budget is under $40k (starting price), and it has to be built to be driven hard regularly not a garage queen.

What would you build????

We were thinking:

XY GT replica ( I have seen them at very high $30's), VK SS Brock Commodore, 944 Turbo

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Series 1 RX7 with some mad Japanese bolt on flares and drainpipe exhaust.

Is a 944 Turbo pre 1980?

EDIT: Something like this, but in a bright color, or multicoloured like white with black flares and blue bonnet or something.  And maybe JDM mirrors.

2223701442_8dab4f9a34_o.jpg

so many options!

AE86
BMW 2002 +/- turbo 

+1 on series III RX7!

alfa 1750 GT or similar

TA22 celica, MA70 supra

i would have said datsun 240z but i already have one and it's shit

TA22!  Yessss.  Though you have to do something about the engine, the Australian delivered cars are wheeze boxes.  Always wanted to do a supercharged 4agze myself, or a 4age turbo.

Are 2002s still affordable?

Looking back at that RX7, I realise how much slant-nose Targa 911 there is in the car.  Look at the roofline/glasshouse for Targa cues, and look at the front for slantnose.

Of course, the series 4 was a complete 944 rip off, so it wouldn't surprise me if the original car had a bit of 911 slantnose in it.

TA22!  Yessss.  Though you have to do something about the engine, the Australian delivered cars are wheeze boxes.  Always wanted to do a supercharged 4agze myself, or a 4age turbo.

Are 2002s still affordable?

Looking back at that RX7, I realise how much slant-nose Targa 911 there is in the car.  Look at the roofline/glasshouse for Targa cues, and look at the front for slantnose.

Of course, the series 4 was a complete 944 rip off, so it wouldn't surprise me if the original car had a bit of 911 slantnose in it.

i think 14-15k still gets you a good 2002. 
i was recently offered one with rebuilt driveline and turbo bits for 2.5k, some rust and assembly required but all there.

beams 3sge TA22 is right up my alley.. 

I'd take 250 kg out of a 928 and then bolt on some lighter bits...although it's already pretty lean. Then I'd add a twin turbo and maybe a supercharger - with change out of 20k.

That would do me for performance. under most circumstances.

that red one! wow first one of those i've actually liked

Anyone know what wheels they are? I really like them... our one we are restoring is white, I just bought a red one like that ^^ alas a very rusty one for parts. 

I owned a 105 GTV 20 years ago (admittedly when money was tighter & restoration was more piecemeal). Beautiful car, piece of junk.  Spent more time broken down than on the road.  Cost me a fortune.  Only car I have ever really done my arse on.  I'd run a mile unless you can really throw some dollars at it.  I also owned a 260Z (as I couldn't find a 240 I liked at the time)  That would be my choice based on my own experiences.  I always wanted one of these.  Probably same as an Alfa (or worse).

Lancia_Beta_Coupe_-_Flickr_-_tonylanciab

Anyone know what wheels they are? I really like them... our one we are restoring is white, I just bought a red one like that ^^ alas a very rusty one for parts. 

They look like Cromodoras to me.  I had a set on a Fiat 124 BC Sports Coupe I restored and a friend had a set on his Sud Sprint.  Nice wheels!

Archived