911R ?

Oldmxnut

"Spy pics" - http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2015/prestige-and-luxury/porsche/911/spy-pics-porsches-pure-911-r-100216

Interestingly it suggests:

Some sources are suggesting a limited production run of 600 vehicles – all of which are reportedly sold -- while others reckon it will become a part of Porsche’s regular line-up.

Edited by JWM

• 3 months later...

Bumping the thread given details now out on the 911R.    I like it, continue to want one but not sure if a $450+ price tag matches.  Perhaps a rhetorical question in any case given the line in front of me.  Anyone on here notified of an allocation here in Aus as yet ?

I do like the white, green stripe and brown interior though. A nice retro touch.  A lightweight RWD with a manual and 500HP.?.. I bet their media relationships people spent weeks coming up with the politically correct term of "lively" in the advertising.

Bumping the thread given details now out on the 911R.    I like it, continue to want one but not sure if a $450+ price tag matches.  Perhaps a rhetorical question in any case given the line in front of me.  Anyone on here notified of an allocation here in Aus as yet ?

I do like the white, green stripe and brown interior though. A nice retro touch.  A lightweight RWD with a manual and 500HP.?.. I bet their media relationships people spent weeks coming up with the politically correct term of "lively" in the advertising.

$450k + ???

for what's essentially a wingless and slower GT3... Don't drink the Kool aid, buy a 991 GT3 and a hot rod 911 with 3 pedals with the change. 

The 991 GT3 is a phenomenal car on track... There's a reason it's PDK :) 

IMO if you want that old nostalgia buy an old girl and get the real deal experience.

It seems crass to pay a premium for a new car that's trying to emulate an antiquated technical package. 

$450k + ???

for what's essentially a wingless and slower GT3... Don't drink the Kool aid, buy a 991 GT3 and a hot rod 911 with 3 pedals with the change. 

IMO if you want that old nostalgia buy an old girl and get the real deal experience.

It seems crass to pay a premium for a new car that's trying to emulate an antiquated technical package. 

or wait..

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1102650_stick-shift-to-reappear-on-next-porsche-911-gt3

some marketing genius must have a plan here.........not sure what it is, though.

Its just called create lots of versions to increase the numbers Chris ..I wonder if the GT3 adverts current have been updates to say , not so collectable , not the last of the manuals…  They are all beaut cars…amazing technology…  

I remember seeing this kind of stuff in the bike arena .. Ducati did it … got more sales but really the collectability  has remained at that decison point  from my perspective.  If there is a comparison to be drawn , for the bikes most of the modern stuff  in the past 10 years plus , now trade like commodores on many levels , whereas perviously  their top sports bikes similar to GT3 genre were all held in greater prestige at some point.

The new releases are definately ogled at but quickly forgotten. and if that anything to draw on they just ended up having to build bikes that for example when a benchmark was 30k they had to bring out a 60-80k version , that would mean the ultimate R or GT3 would have to be a million bucks + opening price .

Anyway , if anyones thinking of liquidating their common car as a steal price.. im interested

If you got an R on order ..can I have a loan 

but lets face it folks………… Manual Rocks

i honestly kind of liked that the GT3 had to compete with other cars in it's niche and the cayman could just do whatever the hell it wanted.

but then they limited numbers of the GT4...

the R could have been a simple GT3 option or trim level but then they limited numbers of those too to bump up the price.. which seems pointless now the next gen GT3 will have that gearbox??

i honestly kind of liked that the GT3 had to compete with other cars in it's niche and the cayman could just do whatever the hell it wanted.

but then they limited numbers of the GT4...

the R could have been a simple GT3 option or trim level but then they limited numbers of those too to bump up the price.. which seems pointless now the next gen GT3 will have that gearbox??

It's amazing how people are quoting Andreas (flappy paddles are for grandmas) Preuninger as being the one to confirm the manual option in the next GT3. He actually said, "I can envisage it being an option"

I can't see it happening myself. That would be Porsche admitting they were wrong to make every 991 PDK only, then bring the manual back. Porsche never admits it's wrong, IMS failures, GT3 coolant hose failures, centre lock wheel failures !!!

If demand is as high as everyone says it is, you'd be mad not to take one if the allocation is offered.

Well if you are a collector, looking to make some $$ or simply have too much disposable income then for sure! 

I don't buy it.... 

$450k + ???

Im guessing $450K based on price reference from GB.  The 911R in Britain is 4K pound more then a RS but cheaper then a Turbo S.  So here in Aus somewhere between as well ?  

Spoke to dealer today.  Apparently no allocation advise as yet for Australia, although they have provided names including mine (but its down the list) yesterday to PA of which they have deposits.  Said they had 15 enquiries this week since detail come out on Monday, but had stopped taking deposits last year as no point. 

Ive mixed feelings.  I like it for a few different reasons (style, 4.0, manual ) but disposable income or not, is it unique or classic enough to fork $0.5M (with options) on ?But then again if as mhh said, if lucky enough for an allocation to come my way, and with that many people wanting it, should be worth the order deposit risk. 

Im thinking if GT3.2 is manual option and nat aspirated, 911R price will go pop.  If it comes with one of either , 911R will fizzle, if GT3.2 is turbo and pdk only, then this R will hold and could find a notch as a future collectable.   

Well put it this way... It's a "good problem" you have in deciding.... I'd definitely hold out and see if you get an allocation or not, risk:reward ratio is in your favour, for now. 

Yep keep a plugging  that allocation..good to get on or near the list per say ..

I cant get a dealer having not bought in a while even to talk about cars  ..even if theres my TT sitting in sight of the window or any of my other toys for some cred.  Just got a plain statement,  not available , not even a question what you looking for 

You a have dilema many would like to ponder on ..

R's 4.0l , PDK. manuals or otherwise , its a while since I sat in wonderment .. the 991 RS is hot …just incase you have forgotten

I hope everyone buys one of these newer cars , so these come tumbling in price and the markets full of opportunity ;)

12615605_1669663429951786_24754713934574

12621974_1669663633285099_59131305011381

12696933_10153854299326698_3973024660085

12698225_10153854299316698_3216953851016

I've just deleted a long rant as it can be summarised like this;

This car annoys me greatly, it's a complete reflection of the changing Porsche demographic. 

Sorry, there I said it................

As was the 901 to the 356, G series to the long hoods, 964 to the .... You get my drift.  

It will take another GFC to keep Porsche marketing honest. 

Till then........ 

GFC to trigger a price correction?   Can we work on something a little less savage?

Price will be at or just over GT3 RS.

I like the concept.  I will sell as it should. 

I've pressed the question as to whether rear seats can be spec'd.  No one can tell me but I have seen GT2's with the Touring spec have back seats.  Reputedly a 20K spend.  "I love my kids, I love my kids ...."

As was the 901 to the 356, G series to the long hoods, 964 to the .... You get my drift.  

GFC to trigger a price correction?   Can we work on something a little less savage?

Price will be at or just over GT3 RS.

I like the concept.  I will sell as it should. 

I've pressed the question as to whether rear seats can be spec'd.  No one can tell me but I have seen GT2's with the Touring spec have back seats.  Reputedly a 20K spend.  "I love my kids, I love my kids ...."

Rear seats are not an option ex-factory. Adding them later would require that you forgo the fixed backrest buckets which would defeat the purpose of the car somewhat. 

Yes but if you are persistent enough they'd do it. Why do it?  Because I like going for a blast with the kids and there's no half cage to worry about. They can clamber in the back ... Just day dreaming.  Haven't got into it but the seat backs may not be fixed. 

surely would be better off pulling the front diff out of a turbo rather than putting back seats in a GT2?

Perhaps he had ordered the car and Policy and Ecominics said no rear seats no GT2!

Sorry Skidmarks, I think you'll find the evolution of the 356, 901 to G series was more than deleting clip-on parts and slapping on some stripes. This car is not a 'new 911' but rather a fantastic example of Porsche product marketing - simple. 

No issue if your into that kind of thing, but it's far from what the 'R' car of the past is and what it stood for - that's the annoying part. 

Reminds me of this;

Haha.  Have to love it.  (the simpsons skit).   she's' right.. he's right…  It definitely has a new hat !  It is a conundrum.

I wonder if within Porsche the conversation went like this:

- we released gt3 with no manual and they want a manual

- but we sold every one even when half of them had to be returned with a dodgy engine.. we know better

- but they want a manual

- ok will let you build a manual but lets charge lots for it and see if they still want a manual then...

- see all sold out and lots more wanting one.

- ok lets put the manual back in but when we bring out the electric GT3 will they still want a manual ?

- see...we do know better.

PS:  mhh may I ask if one is earmarked for your christmas stocking ?

Edited by Oldmxnut