Looking at 996 Ownership - Opinion sought

WOKA

I think regardless if its been written off and you buy it the onus is then on you to convince the next buyer that it was a financial stat write-off so you'll always loose out unless the price is right and that price is definitely not right. 

Edited by dan_189

Oooh!  I love a good internet argument.  I think that it's sufficient to deal with it in the written ad, as has been done.  Personally I'd disclose it verbally when someone made a genuine phone enquiry.  I believe that's fair to the seller and the buyer.  As has been pointed out it may not be that serious and the price just needs adjusting to suit.  Wouldn't be the first time someone was optimistic with their asking price for one reason or another right?

I've chatted to the guy and nothing was eluded to the fact that it 'was written off'.. The fact that it wasn't mentioned when discussing the cars merits is a bit deceptive in my view.  If he calls back (I've been waiting since last Thursday, asking what a suitable time to fly in and view the car last Saturday would be.!) I'll asking him the details then..  But nah - the shit has stuck to the blanket on this one..  I'm learning from you guys, I'm learning patience. ;)

I took off my rose tinted glasses yesterday and had another read - was a bit bummed out when I read the fin the print is all..

It's the same with imports - there are 3 on Carsales right now that I know of, that only when asked do you find out that 'Oh yes - it's an import'.. Full disclosure is a rarity, buyer beware :)

Being a write off opens other cans too - sure I can investigate, but would I easily get the car rego's and insured in QLD.?  

Next..

Edited by WOKA

Written-off vehicle classifications

Written-off vehicles are classified either as a statutory or repairable write-off.

Statutory write-off

A statutory write-off is too badly damaged to be repaired to a standard that is safe for road use. The vehicle identification number (VIN) is recorded as a statutory write-off, and the vehicle is not allowed to be registered. These vehicles are only suitable for use as parts or scrap metal.

A repairable write-off

A repairable write-off has been assessed as uneconomical to repair. The VIN will be recorded as a repairable write-off and the vehicle will only be registered if it is repaired, passes a Queensland safety inspection and passes a written-off vehicle inspection.

Read detailed definitions of statutory and repairable written-off vehicles.

Where did my reply go..!?

Again - in brief, you snooze - you lose.

Looked like a great car but the overall logistics to this novice where a little too much to soon..  Anticipated extended costs (The IMS factor) also bought this car when said and done, over my budget.  'The IMS factor' is a bitch - so many conflicting opinions which have no doubt been done to death on this and many other forums..  But is is a factor that I am very aware of, and need to consider when making my decision.

My budget has been revised for the right car - just got to find it.  

Edited by WOKA

Has it been sold? Looks to be ideal - dont let the low kms put you off - mines got 38000 on it. I spent roughly 6000 getting new clutch ims and waterpump replaced. This ones had a major service - 4 new tyres and brakes done. There's plenty crop up on car sales that sound awesome and are much cheaper but when you go to see them you realise there's plenty wrong with most of them. Buy the best one you can find - the odd 5 grand here or there isn't going to make much difference in the long run..... oh and if you want a manual definitely don't settle for anything else - 

Has it been sold? Looks to be ideal - dont let the low kms put you off - mines got 38000 on it. I spent roughly 6000 getting new clutch ims and waterpump replaced. This ones had a major service - 4 new tyres and brakes done. There's plenty crop up on car sales that sound awesome and are much cheaper but when you go to see them you realise there's plenty wrong with most of them. Buy the best one you can find - the odd 5 grand here or there isn't going to make much difference in the long run..... oh and if you want a manual definitely don't settle for anything else - 

According to a post in the thread - its been sold to the person person the saw it..

First time poster on these forums and a short time, yet avid lurker..

Looking at entering into Porsche ownership after a life time love affair with car..  Have always wanted one, and have now decided - why the hell not.

Looking through the forums and learning heaps - great site that you have here, a really good vibe and lots of great information..  So lets get to the crux of the matter..

The budget is 996 territory - I don't think that I'll get more bang for my c50k buck..?  The questions is, and I know its divisive and based on opinion - but should I get as I read here 'a Plain Jane 996' or a 996 4S..? Would I be better off getting a .1 or a .2..?  IMS issues aside - will cross that bridge when I get to it etc - whats the best model for me.?

I know what I don't want, and that's a cabriolet.  I'm really certain that I want a manual, and here's the kicker - I haven't ever driven one.  But I know whole heartedly, that I'm going to get one.!

There are few good looking cars on the interwebs, but I just need some guidance and persuasion as to which car to get into..

Looking forward to your informative replies.!

Thanks, 

Dylan from Brisbane.

Gday Dylan,

It is most definitely a waiting game.  You know what you want, so it is a matter of stalking the market until it comes along.  My car sat in a dealership for 18 months, I knew it was there but they had to much money on it.  I checked car sales every day for 12 months and then suddenly it dropped 10 grand.  The car was in Sydney and I wasn't.  I quickly organised a PPI which came back clear and after a short negotiation and money transfer the car was on it's way via CEVA.  The first time I saw and drove the car was when it arrived at a mates car yard.  I love it!! My advice is to continue stalking the markets.  You will know when the right one comes along!!

Cheers Steve

A step closer - possibly.  But its an import.

Gen 2 Manual MY03 (02/04) with 85000 KM's - Full Porsche History with the car being owned by the same guy for 5 years, 3 of which are in Australia.

PPI reads quite well with no real finger pointing to the engine.  A couple of issues, but nothing to undesirable.  As has rightly been pointed out on the forum, better a car without the IMS done so that I can be sure of the job, in getting the job done myself + a clutch which this car needs in the near future.  Needs two new front tyres due to age, key extracts from the PPI attached..

Price is under negotiation still but I've made my price point known as to where I would be comfortable.

My plan is to drive and enjoy the car for what it is - to enjoy P Car ownership, and cruise the B roads.  It wouldn't be my daily.  

BTW - speedo was converted by Porsche in the UK from MPH to KMH just prior to it being put on the boat.

Are UK imports really that tainted and if you put yourselves in my position, which side of the fence would you be on..?  

Thoughts gentlemen - via PM if you prefer, all opinions positive or negative are welcomed.  I'm happy to disclose pricing etc to those that are interested as an aid for me to make a more informed decision.

Thanks. 

PPI.jpg

Edited by WOKA
Spelling Nazi

^My 2c. As long as the required fix ups and the fact it's UK delivered are reflected in the price, then no issue. Buy it cheap sell it cheap and enjoy it and don't let any snobs tell you any different. Assuming there is nothing really bad lurking. That said in the air cooled world peoples' perceptions have changed due to scarcity of supply so things previously unacceptable are now OK. Could the same be said for the 996? It's much more a buyers market so you could say why compromise. Also depends on how long you want to keep it for. Sell in a long time and it all becomes less of an issue...Just make sure it's the car you want too.

Good luck.

Edited by Pork Chops

@WOKA

I'm a 1st time(?) poster, long time lurker however I've been following this thread with interest since the Australian and NZ market is somehow different (perhaps due to the import tax - I'm NZ based).

I have an '03 ex-UK tip, Cab, C4, which was collected from Porsche Sweden (to avoid UK tax), went to Japan before landed in Christchurch in '07.  Genuine and in one-piece, VIN checked against Porsche database, and imported by the Chch Porsche dealer.  Bought it from the Wellington Porsche dealer.

It has MPH speedo (KPH in the digital display), no body corrosion whatsoever (I removed wheel liners etc.), sat-nav will need NZ map (can't be bothered), everything worked as they should, and it's been in my possession for the last 5 years.  I've been servicing it regularly (once a year - don't follow the two-year interval BS) and it's behaving like my other NZ-new cars.  It's not throwing any 'exotic' problem, its problems are the common ones car of that age would have.  Exhaust bolts corrosion could be attributed to UK roads however I've never been under a NZ new 996 so can't compare and comment. 

In NZ while UK cars will be a wee bit cheaper there isn't a strong feeling against them generally.  You'd get ex-UK Audis, BMWs, Bentleys, Mercs etc. easily in NZ, and no one really cares. If I can get in with a lower price-point, why not.

Good luck with your search.

If you're comfortable with an import then go for it if the price is right. I'd be concerned about the under body corrosion/surface rust. The other concern is the cold, the US widely debate whether cylinder scoring is attributed to cold weather starts. 

Its the salt on the UK roads that causes the corrosion. 

Unusual that the build code doesn't represent the pictures..?  I wonder why.  

939 - Draped leather rear seats  /  982 - Draped leather front seats

Codes.jpg

Not draped.jpg

These seats look like they need a good drink!!  :P:P