Looking at 996 Ownership - Opinion sought

WOKA

Well done Woka, congrats on a fantastic looking car :)

I'll have to sell the Barry Manilow Wagon ( 2010 320D Coupe / black on black for anyone looking ;) ) and get a 928 I reckon.!

Always loved 928's..

I'll have to sell the Barry Manilow Wagon ( 2010 320D Coupe / black on black for anyone looking ;) ) and get a 928 I reckon.!

Always loved 928's..

First the 996 now a 928 would complete the package as well as being a very smart move :D

First the 996 now a 928 would complete the package as well as being a very smart move :D

I personally love the 928 also...A+ to the Koenig version... just not barbee pink like I saw one for sale awhile back. 

Thanks Rob - good to catch up.  I'm really enjoying it, its a great drive.   

What a great spectacle C&C was today. I really think the Porsche's far out numbered any other marque there..  Such a great variety of cars though over all.

Checked out WOKA's 996 today at Brisbane C&C.  Lovely car, well bought.  Hard to imagine paying the same or more money for a manky old SC or 2.7...

Hard to put a comparison on a "manky old SC or 2.7".....

I would take the manky one ..... nothing against the 996, but it doesn't float "my" boat ,.....

No offence WOKA .....

Hard to put a comparison on a "manky old SC or 2.7".....

I would take the manky one ..... nothing against the 996, but it doesn't float "my" boat ,.....

No offence WOKA .....

Well I got a 996 and an SC and I see the appeal of both.  However if you had 1 I'd choose the 996 as it's far more accessible.  It's a lot of car for the money and I reckon they'll be appreciated more in the future than they are currently.  Engines will be rebuilt, interiors upgraded, and the fried egg lights will be sought after, they will be loved.

Well I got a 996 and an SC and I see the appeal of both.  However if you had 1 I'd choose the 996 as it's far more accessible.  It's a lot of car for the money and I reckon they'll be appreciated more in the future than they are currently.  Engines will be rebuilt, interiors upgraded, and the fried egg lights will be sought after, they will be loved.

Thanks Pork Chops.....

For me it is more about the impact bumper being my poster car ... not about anything being wrong with the 996 .....

Now .... the 996TT ..... thats a different story ....

I too have a 996 but also had a SC years ago and for driving pleasure the 996 is a no brainer however from an investment point of view the sc is certainly leading the way. Often have thoughts of my sc with factory air conditioning hardly making an impact also the smell of oil wofting through the cabin upon turning the heating on,all little characteristics of the sc but still enjoyed every ownership moment.

• 3 weeks later...

There are a couple of decent looking low km 996.1 C4s on the market at the moment and one low km 996.1 C2, all priced about the same ($50-55k).  What are people's views on a 996.1 C4 vs a 996.1 C2 as a daily driver?

Edited by D2000

Do you want a third pedal with your daily..?

C2 or C4 much of a muchness I'd say as a daily - wouldn't make an iota of difference really IMO, other that as others have said, a 4 might be better off the line with more grip in the wet.

I think as a daily in city traffic a manual might be a bit of a chore over time though, so keep another daily with a tragic parked close by as backup  :)

Do you want a third pedal with your daily..?

C2 or C4 much of a muchness I'd say as a daily - wouldn't make an iota of difference really IMO, other that as others have said, a 4 might be better off the line with more grip in the wet.

I think as a daily in city traffic a manual might be a bit of a chore over time though, so keep another daily with a tragic parked close by as backup  :)

Thanks for your help.  Definitely want to have a manual.  My commute is usually at times of light traffic so not a problem (doing it in a manual now).

Any thoughts on whether C4 will hold value as well as a C2?

I think that in the Gen 1 a C2 would be a better more pure proposition and in the Gen 2, a C4S would be the better proposition due to better turbo body styling.  But its all speculative and subjective..  Drive to enjoy.!

Seems seldom used garage queens will appreciate and daily drivers will get driven..

• 2 weeks later...

There are a couple of decent looking low km 996.1 C4s on the market at the moment and one low km 996.1 C2, all priced about the same ($50-55k).  What are people's views on a 996.1 C4 vs a 996.1 C2 as a daily driver?

take them both for test drive... I have 996.1 C2, and ws going to buy C4S. There is a big difference.. MORE power than 996.1, feels a little bigger, better brakes and fantastic sound system. just don't buy auto. Very sluggish gear shifts in the one i test drove.

for the price of any 996, they are absolute great value and one hell of a nice drive no matter what one you get... just ask WOKA.

I ended up not selling my 996 as yet, (never advertised it) as its pretty unique manual with more factory options than any other I've seen. I bought a second porsche, but my new old car is 85 model with hot 930 running gear.. lots of fun...

Any porsche is addictive and now Ive found a sweet barn find that I'm looking to get, so may have to part ways with 996.

so my opinion, if you can stretch another 5-10 k, C4S is way to go.

10 days

5 tanks of fuel

2200 odd KM's

Am I having fun..?  Yep - I most certainly am.  :)

Fresh oil today - had it on the hoist, clean as a whistle underneath.  Loving ownership.

Glad you found right car WOKA..looks great, nice colour.  They are pretty good to drive hey! 

What factory options does it have? those wheels off a 997? 

Not sure if yours has exuast mods, if not , they sound way better with cool pipes. 

Forget about 928, save your pennys and get a TURBO :) 

I'm home..!  What an adventure, what a brilliant car.  I've just put about 1500km on it and 3.5 tanks of juice through it, and not a demerit point lost  :)

Missed my flight to Sydney Friday morning, but the happy Virgin dude bumped me to the next flight - hats off to him..  Jetstar - not a chance..  Got to Sydney and caught a cab out to old mates..  What a top bloke, nice family, GREAT car.. Over it, in it, under it..  Had a really good look, and the history file to support it including 7.6k of IMS, clutch and seals etc that he forgot to mention in the add, sealed the deal for me.  What a tight and exhilarating drive - addicted for sure..  This car just feels so raw when you bury your foot, so different to others that I've driven, very impressed..  So, sealed the deal with a handshake and transferred the cash to old mate's account..  Cup of lebanese coffee and a suck on the shisha pipe (not me) and all is good.

A bit of a blast around Sydney and up to Katoomba to visit an old friend :)

Hit the road north early Saturday morning and head to Bellingen, just south of Coffs..  Soo many coppers on the road, so many flashing lights, so many dicks getting pulled over..  Stop at the Federal Hotel in Bello for a quick tappie and a poke around, place is fully booked so off to Coffs for the night.. Get pulled by the boys in blue, blow in the bag - all good, on your way..  Woke up bright and early (still on QLD time) and decide to go for an early morning blast around the old road up to Dorrigo..  What a great run, so twisty and fast, have another drink of petrol..  You can really watch the needle drop.!  Up through UIong, and up to Megan - I sort of forgot about the last 25km of dirt road - oh well, all part of the fun, but nice and slow..  Then over the top of the range in the crisp cool mountain air - get that into your lungs Pcar.. 

Down to Bellingen for a coffee and some breakfast and back through to Coffs..  Got caught going a little fast in a new 60k zone - the friendly highway patrol just flashed his high beam as a casual reminder..  If I were in a WRX I reckon the lights on top would have been flashing...  Off to Byron to the Blues - all access pass - to get home to have a beer..!

Started typing up my little story, remembering that I had better get to the airport to pickup the work rig..!  What a long 3 days..  What a ride..  What a fucgging awesome car..  :)

Thank you gentlemen for your patience, for answering all my 'noob' questions, and for taking this ride with me - it's been a pleasure, but really, I think it's only just begun.. 

Do I qualify for a PFA sticker now..!?

Cheers..!

Woka - aka Big W..   Lol

p4.jpg

whats the go with back stage pass? 
one thing I've noticed with 911 ownership, Ive been let off speeding infringements 4 times in 911.... told to go on my merry way with care 4 out of 5 times!! 

WOKA - great to see you joying the car for what it actually does, and not worrying about stats, spec and other such details.  I'm currently having a driving holiday with the 996.1 in the Black Forest in Germany...the biggest problem with the car by far is the bit that goes between the steering wheel, the drivers seat and the pedals.  3.4 vs 3.6? Completely irrelevant once you're out in the hills having fun.  

take them both for test drive... I have 996.1 C2, and ws going to buy C4S. There is a big difference.. MORE power than 996.1, feels a little bigger, better brakes and fantastic sound system. just don't buy auto. Very sluggish gear shifts in the one i test drove.

for the price of any 996, they are absolute great value and one hell of a nice drive no matter what one you get... just ask WOKA.

I ended up not selling my 996 as yet, (never advertised it) as its pretty unique manual with more factory options than any other I've seen. I bought a second porsche, but my new old car is 85 model with hot 930 running gear.. lots of fun...

Any porsche is addictive and now Ive found a sweet barn find that I'm looking to get, so may have to part ways with 996.

so my opinion, if you can stretch another 5-10 k, C4S is way to go.

Glad you found right car WOKA..looks great, nice colour.  They are pretty good to drive hey! 

What factory options does it have? those wheels off a 997? 

Not sure if yours has exuast mods, if not , they sound way better with cool pipes. 

Forget about 928, save your pennys and get a TURBO :) 

Let me know if and when you do look at selling the 996.1

WOKA - great to see you joying the car for what it actually does, and not worrying about stats, spec and other such details.  I'm currently having a driving holiday with the 996.1 in the Black Forest in Germany...the biggest problem with the car by far is the bit that goes between the steering wheel, the drivers seat and the pedals.  3.4 vs 3.6? Completely irrelevant once you're out in the hills having fun.  

Avon, mandatory you start a pic and vid heavy thread documenting your travels. Mandatory. Aus car taken to Germany for a thrashing? This is ahead for me. Take in some unlimited roads, mountain ranges, Euro tracks.....

• 2 weeks later...

Just came across the PCA 996 special interest group site which I had never seen before.
Looks like it might be a great additional resource for people who are considering a 996.

In particular: