Looking at 996 Ownership - Opinion sought

WOKA

Dan_189 said

If you're comfortable with an import then go for it if the price is right. I'd be concerned about the under body corrosion/surface rust. The other concern is the cold, the US widely debate whether cylinder scoring is attributed to cold weather starts. 

Its the salt on the UK roads that causes the corrosion. 

Lets say you have 2 996's parked in two seperate garages that are next door to each.  One is a UK import been in Oz for 5 years and the other one is AUD delivered

A PPI 18 months ago on the UK import shows rust on exhaust bolts and shifter cable.  A current PPI on the UK import 1 found rust only on an exhaust bolt, a shifter cable and some minor surface rust on a brake caliper.  No report findings with respect to rust on the AUD  delivered one because AUD delivered 996's don't rust.  Would you be marking down (that a trait of snobbery) the UK import on the basis it MAY have  seen some cold  weather starts or salt for 7 years during 2004 and 2011 and  its misspent youth is going creep up on the owner post its teenage years and bite them in the arse as it matures in its adult years.

Edited by smit2100

UK one is now as good as sold - Must of been due to my exposure of the PPI and its potential - even with that grey interior  ;)

Maybe someone here sniped it  :ph34r:

Now - about that 50th Anniversary model that's done 5000km (yes 5 thousand) in the last 5 or so years..  Glorified 996 with a LE badge or something special that's worthy of consideration.!?  

Its like a revolving door here, but the thread just keeps on giving so what the heck.! 

Lets say you have 2 996's parked in two seperate garages that are next door to each.  One is a UK import been in Oz for 5 years and the other one is AUD delivered

A PPI 18 months ago on the UK import shows rust on exhaust bolts and shifter cable.  A current PPI on the UK import 1 found rust only on an exhaust bolt, a shifter cable and some minor surface rust on a brake caliper.  No report findings with respect to rust on the AUD  delivered one because AUD delivered 996's don't rust.  Would you be marking down (that a trait of snobbery) the UK import on the basis it MAY have  seen some cold  weather starts or salt for 7 years during 2004 and 2011 and  its misspent youth is going creep up on the owner post its teenage years and bite them in the arse as it matures in its adult years.

I find the length of your post disappointing. Was expecting 4+ x the length of mine. It is however as nonsensical as usual so no disappointment on that front.

UK one is now as good as sold - Must of been due to my exposure of the PPI and its potential - even with that grey interior  ;)

Maybe someone here sniped it  :ph34r:

Now - about that 50th Anniversary model that's done 5000km (yes 5 thousand) in the last 5 or so years..  Glorified 996 with a LE badge or something special that's worthy of consideration.!?  

Its like a revolving door here, but the thread just keeps on giving so what the heck.! 

40th AE is definitely worth looking at!! Are you still looking at a Gen 1, gen 2 or 997 as per your other thread?

BTW if it's a real 40th edition 996 it will have the x51 power kit! Modified intake, exhaust headers, gt3/aero kit ii side skirts, turbo front bar, special shifter and chrome 5 spoke Carrera wheels just to name a few! It's a sought after 996 they can sell for big coin... 

40th AE is definitely worth looking at!! Are you still looking at a Gen 1, gen 2 or 997 as per your other thread?

Preference is for a Gen2 996, consideration given to a gen1.  997 is pie in the sky really.

and  its misspent youth is going creep up on the owner post its teenage years and bite them in the arse as it matures in its adult years.

You realise you & I are the only ones on this forum who actually keep cars longer than 3 years?

I bite cars in the arse before they bite me. 

You realise you & I are the only ones on this forum who actually keep cars longer than 3 years?

I bite cars in the arse before they bite me. 

Thanks for reminding me of that.

But sorry to disappoint just a little, but I need to disclose that having just registered my recent purchase this week, its technically getting flipped next week, but I'll have first dibs on it again in exactly 12 months time when its due for a flip.

But yes I am certaintly going in with the intention of keeping and driving the car for a length of time that one would expect to see a bit of surface rust here and there as it gracefully ages. (Thanks for indirect reminder for me to keep an eye out for a spare ECU so I can put it the war chest of rainy day preventative maintenance replacement parts to stock up on.

So let's help WOKA out here.  I reckon the seller is motivated.  What is a reasonable price for both parties all things considered and based on what we know.  $40k a steal?  $45 about right?  I've got no idea but $45k for a 911 Carrera in good condition sounds like a lot of car for the money.  Remember also that whatever depreciation you incur it's waaaaaay less than anything new or modern.  Say you buy for $45k and sell for $25k in 5 years, well that's chicken feed.

WOKA just buy it and tell the forum you paid $38k and we'll all think you're a legend and just get on with enjoying the car.

WOKA just buy it and tell the forum you paid $38k and we'll all think you're a legend and just get on with enjoying the car.

Plus an odd's over quote of c15k from Autohaus to get things on the car sorted according to the PPI, including the obligatory IMS replacement..

Bits of paper.! 

:wacko:

Plus an odd's over quote of c15k from Autohaus to get things on the car sorted according to the PPI, including the obligatory IMS replacement..

Bits of paper.! 

:wacko:

Tried a low ball offer taking that into account? say $35k + $15k to autohaus = $50k for a sorted example? 

Of course if there are rust or engine issues i'd run screaming.

15k may be an exageration, as that was the figure told to me when I was selling my 993, however NOTHING actually needed to be done. All the listed things totalling about 15k could be done,It could have possibly done with a respray,engine rebuild,gearbox rebuild,re upholstering, new wheel bearings and new tyres as well,to turn it into a new car again.So treat PPI`s as an indication, rather than gospel as to what HAS to be done, or you could be getting scared off a good car that has normal wear and tear for a 15 year old car.

DISCLAIMER , I have no affiliation with any car currently being offered for sale.

I agree Steve - that really is a worst case scenario with:

Clutch + flywheel / IMS and RMS plus a few other odds and associated sods internally  

New struts (insert technical term here) as the bolts on the existing might be frozen and strip when pulled down to do do the top mounts and bump stops .  Of course if the top mounts come away freely then costs are saved there..?

Replace lower control arms 

Play with the air con and regas

Run some oil and shiz through it - coolant flush etc, etc..  And a few other things that are in my notes at the office.

It's all on the grand and high end of the scale, I appreciate that - however I was surprised to hear of the cost of a pressure plate alone being up around a $1000 > $1500.. Essentially he said factor 5k for L&N retro fit, rear seal and clutch kit.. I figured $3500 tops for that..?  Anyway..

I 'lowballed' (well, what I thought was a good offer) that is still south of the current price drop..  I have offered a refundable deposit based on a visual, but seems he's keen to leave it on the market until I can get down there - which between myself and him both being OS in the interim, can't happen until after easter.! 

Time will tell - meanwhile..  Next.!

I drove a air cooled 911 yesterday with a 3.0l + 5 speed.

Now this has really thrown the cat amongst the pigeons, and totally screwed with my head and my budget.

Grin factor - ear to ear and 10/10...

Oh dear.. 

you really preferred it a lot more to the 996?

I drove a air cooled 911 yesterday with a 3.0l + 5 speed.

Now this has really thrown the cat amongst the pigeons, and totally screwed with my head and my budget.

Grin factor - ear to ear and 10/10...

Oh dear.. 

Don't drive a Cayman S then!

Just a personal opinion here, as I like older cars. If you're wanting a keeper that will either appreciate or 'probably' stay at the same value, I would go for the air cooled. I like the 996 shape, yet as you and others say, the IMS would be your main concern if it has not been attended to. From what I have read extensively,  and been told by those qualified to comment, the old 3.0 is pretty bulletproof. You would no doubt have little issues that arise with owning an older car that will question why on earth you bought one, yet I think the experience of owning an older Porsche would be more rewarding than a much newer car that you just jump in and drive.

I know Porsche nuts that have sold their GT3's, 911's and Cayman's to buy older cars, as they feel they have no soul like a 60's or 70's 911 can provide.

I reckon you just answered your own question in your head. 'Grin factor ear to ear and 10/10. 'Nuff said

Don't drive a Cayman S then!

Just a personal opinion here, as I like older cars. If you're wanting a keeper that will either appreciate or 'probably' stay at the same value, I would go for the air cooled. I like the 996 shape, yet as you and others say, the IMS would be your main concern if it has not been attended to. From what I have read extensively,  and been told by those qualified to comment, the old 3.0 is pretty bulletproof. You would no doubt have little issues that arise with owning an older car that will question why on earth you bought one, yet I think the experience of owning an older Porsche would be more rewarding than a much newer car that you just jump in and drive.

I know Porsche nuts that have sold their GT3's, 911's and Cayman's to buy older cars, as they feel they have no soul like a 60's or 70's 911 can provide.

I reckon you just answered your own question in your head. 'Grin factor ear to ear and 10/10. 'Nuff said

and you're selling...............any change of plans ?