Jump start 6v with 12v battery

ByronBayChris

I've read lots of articles on the web (so it must be true), but can someone tell me if I would cause any damage to a 6v battery (and the rest of the car/gobes etc) if I jumped with a 12v battery.

I have read to connect 12v pos to 6v pos, then 12v neg to 356 ground.   And to only have it connected for a very short time while the car cranks.

Or do you have another option for me ?

A word of caution: If the 356 does not have an electric fuel pump, and has not been started for a while, it can take a lot of cranking to get fuel to the carbs.

And when it does start the seals in the carbys could be dry so it will leak fuel and you know where the carbys are....................

photo_1_JPG_800x600_autocrop_q85.jpg

+1 on the CTEK 6V charger for $80 it is a bargain.  A 'push" is good however!  I will never change from 6V.  Love it. I fitted a starter relay and some extra earths and it spins up fast  now and does not load up the IGN switch.  For using my digital timing light (12V), I found an old computer transformer that outputs 12V DC and that does the job nicely.  Get a 6V motor cycle battery as a spare for jumps if you need it.  Don't use 12V to jump start  ... bad things happen ... but probably wont, unless your ignition switch is already on the way out

have you got it on something to maintain the battery?

http://www.ctek.com/au/en/chargers/6v

Thanks Russ, I have a charger for this purpose also - but just looking out for being stuck on the road with Mrs BBC and trying to save HOURS of "....why do you buy old cars again...." conversation.

Archived