Tasmania. A playground for the car enthusiast

Simonk

I’ve wanted to go to Tassie ever since I bought my first performance car (if you can call it that, 1997 HSV Clubsport) but I’ve always put it off in preference for a beach holiday. Well, last weekend it finally happened, under the disguise of a celebration of our wedding anniversary. With much deliberation we finally came up with a plan which saw us base ourselves right smack bang in the middle of the state at a place called Tarraleah. I won’t give you the history but it was a nice place to stay and it meant we could day trip from there.

Day 1 we arrived at Devenport at 6am to torrential rain having just come from 31 degrees and hot in Melbourne. The original plan was to do some hiking before checking in at Tarraleah but with the rain set in, we headed to Launceston and checked out the National Automobile Museum and did a bit of exploring around Launceston. We then plugged in Tarraleah into the gps and got our first taste of what Tassie had to offer. Not far out of Launceston and we were driving on narrow country lanes through lush open farm land which eventually lead us to Poatina Rd which weaves its way through the mountains towards the Great Lake. It was still raining but it didn’t matter. There wasn’t another car on the road and the scenery was spectacular. At the end, the lovely gps lady politely asked us to turn left onto the Marlborough Hwy which turned out to be 30kms of gravel. This is marked as a major road on any map so we were taken a bit by surprise but lucky I’m not precious about my car. We eventually make it to the Lyell Hwy and enjoy the Tarraleah stage of the Targa Tasmania before pulling in to our accommodation for the evening.

Day 2 we headed to Hobart to check out the Salamanca Markets and the Mona Gallery. I care for neither so this was a day for the wife. We did take the scenic route down there though through the Ellendale stage which was awesome. We took it pretty easy as there was just so much scenery to take in. It really was amazing.

Day 3 was all about driving. Tarraleah to Strahan and back. 380kms of the greatest road I’ve ever driven set in the most amazing back drop. Tarraleah, Mt Arrowsmith, Queenstown, and Strahan stages covered. The road was just incredible to drive on and the ever changing landscape just made more spectacular. We has lunch and a walk in Strahan before heading back and doing it all over again. Such an awesome day!

Day 4 we headed to Lake St Claire for a relatively short hike before making the trek back to Devenport. We took the Marlborough Hwy and Poatina Rd again and got our last fill of awesomeness before rolling into Devenport.

So, a brief write up on what we did but I urge any of you that haven’t taken your car over there to do it. We’ll be doing it again for sure as there is so much we didn’t get to see. It really is a drivers Mecca over there. Big thanks to ANF tazzieman Tit and Stew F for their helpful tips while we were planning. Here’s a few photos we took along the way.

25692916410_e78b61ee3d_c.jpgIMG_5290 by Simon Kovac, on Flickr

25364717133_7539007d41_c.jpgIMG_5291 by Simon Kovac, on Flickr

25364687803_7cf85592b1_c.jpgIMG_5292 by Simon Kovac, on Flickr

25692828580_28e4f15820_c.jpgIMG_5309 by Simon Kovac, on Flickr

25692788240_66746cfa75_c.jpgIMG_5340 by Simon Kovac, on Flickr

25967406936_849d73a5d0_c.jpgIMG_5343 by Simon Kovac, on Flickr

25967371696_90c9b5a681_c.jpgIMG_5346p by Simon Kovac, on Flickr

25967295796_6229d2e2a9_c.jpgIMG_5384p by Simon Kovac, on Flickr

So glad that you had such a great time :) Good to see a Porsche get nice and dirty :D

"Day 1 we arrived at Devenport at 6am to torrential rain having just come from 31 degrees and hot in Melbourne." Don't worry I was in Melbourne last week in the heat and it absolutely poured on that Friday, I got soaked and was cold to boot!!

Nice.  Thanks for sharing.  Good pics too :)

I've been thinking of going over for a couple of years.  

My daily driver is very low.  I've spoken with a few people who have made the trip and asked about the ramp angles on the ferry.  They've never really been able to answer as they're not car people.  It's not so much a problem now that I've got the 993, but what are the ramps like?  Would you be worried about scraping in a low car?

My daily driver is very low.  I've spoken with a few people who have made the trip and asked about the ramp angles on the ferry.  They've never really been able to answer as they're not car people.  It's not so much a problem now that I've got the 993, but what are the ramps like?  Would you be worried about scraping in a low car?

my experience on the ferry ramps was no probs. I tend to scrape the front of my SC on driveways and gutters but not on the boat.  Wet steel plate floor and a cold engine with the revs up was a different matter...angry glares from the car deck crew. :D

I did it a few years ago in the Boxster and that was reasonably low.  Had no problems

My 996 would struggle but it fails the Coke can test, and I mean it will hit a coke can on its side. I think I still could get away with some tricky manoeuvring. The ramps aren't overly steep. At the bottom of one ramp was a raised tie down anchor point which would have ripped the front of the 996 off but I could have gone around it. I don't think there'd be many cars you couldn't take aboard.

Was in Hobart for a wedding at Mona in December. Sadly not with my car and even sadder that we didn't get to leave Hobart. I need to get over there and see what all of the fuss is about. Wife would not be up for those roads so this sounds like a trip solo.

Great effort Simon, and thanks for sharing the photos and story. Certainly something i have been crying out to do. Like you, it seems to always get pushed for a beach holiday. 

Would you be worried about scraping in a low car?

I'd be more worried about the roadkill. Tassie has the highest amount anywhere. Even a rabbit will hit your low slung sports car. You have to slow and go around which can get tiresome and gnarly .

Drive at night? Good luck avoiding pademelons etc. Wildlife is in plague proportions down here.

Other than all that , a great place to drive as long as you keep an eye out for tourists unfamiliar with the roads. Especially mainland motorcyclists and people more used to the RH side of the road. 

I did about 3500km there in the GT4 a few weeks back, certainly the driving best roads I've been on (I've done driving holidays in Germany, Switzerland, Italy, New Zealand, US). No problems with the ferry, the ramp angles are very shallow and nowhere near having to hit them at an angle so if you can physically drive the car on a public road I think you'd be ok with the ferry. I'll have a standing holiday there every year I think, I'd been there before and really enjoyed the driving but the week I had where I really got out on a lot of the roads highlighted just how good it is. I've no hesitation in calling it the best driving destination in the world. 

Simon... I mentioned your trip to the CEO (Chief Entertainment Officer) at home this morning... 

She didnt give that 'your dreamin' look I always get....

So looks like I just have to mention it 2 more times and it will get approved... Can't wait..thanks for your post.

Just have to pick my moment to let Cayman know that it will get dirty.? that's gonna be difficult.

Did 2/3 of Tassie in a week with the missus in her boxster (me driving though:D)...Launceston a day, Hobart 3 days, Port Arthur a day, Bicheno a day, Freycinet Bay of fires a day, Launceston again and Burnie. Lots of the time the country roads saw me at around 120 to 140ks and ramped it up as desired here n there and felt so very far from speed cameras and Mr Plod. Reckon I saw 1 police car the entire trip.....Roads and layout were ideal and it really is the right distance and topography between the major places to visit...cant wait to do the other side later this year

A bunch of us from Adelaide head down a couple times a year. Drive to Melbourne on the Friday, wake up in Devonport on Saturday morning. Over to Reece Dam and down to Strahan for lunch. Hobart for dinner and overnight. We usually avoid the traffic on the east coast and head north on Sunday morning via the Central Highlands. We'll play around Cethana and some of the other northern Targa stages before a run to the ferry, often being the last to board. Monday - straight off the ferry and back in Adelaide by 3pm. It's a lot of driving but what a great long weekend. We always avoid school holidays any events that bring extra traffic. The best driving in Australia. 

Archived