Renegade Retro Master, rescuing a retro hero.

edgy

My last 12 months of Porsche ownership has been interesting to say the least, with some great highs and really low, lows, but most of all, the friends I have made have remained constant and so much so, some of them have this strange way of getting into my head.. the result was a hunt for a front engine Porsche, you see in between the silver bullet & mr lapis I was spending a good amount of seat time last summer in a 928 S4. 

I narrowed it down to S1 928 or 924, needless to say the 924 came first. I did also find a really nice S1 928 now known as "Risky Business", but decided another good friend needed it more than I did. :) 

Found online, located in a shed, in country Victoria was this Aussie delivered 1978 924 in Mars Red with the 4 speed manual transmission & sunroof delete.

The PO had done a bunch of work to it and then decided to store it in 2001. 15 years in storage wasn't too kind on the 924's perishables, so with my best mate on the task he set about bringing it back to life, we didn't leave any stones un-turned; new tyres, entire brake system rebuilt, timing belt, water pump the list goes on! Thankfully storage was very kind to the cosmetics, it still presents very well. 

Well the day came Saturday just passed to pick it up and drive it home to Sydney, so I booked flights for Friday night for me and my son (he is very passionate about cars) 

We had a snag with getting a permit on Saturday morning as Vic Roads decided to do server maintenance and no branches open, I ended up sending my better half to RMS in Sydney to sort it out.. we got the permit in the end but severely delayed our departure, what a debacle! Ensure you get that permit ahead of time folks! Needless to say I did tell him to get it for me friday. :lol: 

Moving on: 

Departing VIC

3_zpsewqp4vfm.jpg

1_zpsfg78beff.jpg

2_zps6pzl18ow.jpg

Surprised with the gearing, I expected worse. 

4_zps9uwivgmo.jpg

As we were just about to arrive into Holbrook I just had to snap this moment, the sky was beautiful. 

6_zpsarnyeacy.jpg

5_zpsqaicffnu.jpg

Dinner of champions, Holbrook bakery... is there a better meal half way? I don't think so.

9_zpsa2a3x3jn.jpg

7_zps6sadrijv.jpg

Obligatory Submarine shot, plus my son had never seen it. 

10_zpskujerd9e.jpg

Verdict? 

This is a great little car, I did not get too many opportunities to throw it about on the rural B roads but there is plenty of time ahead for that. It's very raw & engaging, it really wants you to drive it! Even the freeway driving is an event, you are involved the whole time and I like that.. loads of period charm to boot. 

Its a nice contrast to my 997 that is for sure and a welcome addition. :) 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks all for the kind comments, love letters, fan mail and hate mail is all welcome... I know these cars are good at dividing the camp. :) 

Yes Diamond, these are those Simmons wheels, totally retro and period correct. I do like the look of them but I have been told we should source the original wheels detail it and enter it in the next concourse... I think I might just do that. 

Love it...............I'd keep rockin those wheels :)

Oh I will! :D

Kurt,

Is the rear spoiler stock for that year?  They look so much cleaner without one.

Ryan

This I do not know? It's definitely an OEM item, I just have no way of telling whether it came with it or not?

That looks so much like the car I had quite a few years ago. What size are the Simmons? Are the rims 2 piece?

15" not sure on the widths, but its wearing 195 & 215 60/15" tyres, also if you look where the gold paint has chipped on the wheels in a few spots the simmons used to be red.

It was last sold in 2001, before that I do not know. 

15" not sure on the widths, but its wearing 195 & 215 60/15" tyres, also if you look where the gold paint has chipped on the wheels in a few spots the simmons used to be red.

It was last sold in 2001, before that I do not know. 

Wheels on mine were 8" rear and 7" front from memory. 2 piece rims required to get these under the guards.

Car and extractors, cam, bigger throttle body, lowered & stiffer shocks. Gave a few 944s a fright on track.

924%20-%201_zpshligf28k.jpg

I think this may be your old girl Airhead?  

Looking at the drivers door there is an extra key barrel, I'm assuming its for the now redundant dealer fitted alarm system? 

To the best of my knowledge the car last wore VIC registration plates WS 924. 

It would be really cool if in fact its your old car. 

Any other key identifiers that you would say we can look at? 

Kurt,

Is the rear spoiler stock for that year?  They look so much cleaner without one.

Ryan

I'm pretty certain that the spoiler only came on some of the very last models of the 924.

Kurt,

Ryan

I'm pretty certain that the spoiler only came on some of the very last models of the 924.

Hey Edgy, I would love to take those wheels off your hands if you want to go back to stock. I have a good set of stock Tarantulas ....

The rear spoiler is a FOHA - it should be moulded just under the RHS rear of the spoiler. They were an Austrian aftermarket aero company in the 80s. I have the same spoiler on my car. Not sure if it was a Porsche option .... 

Archived