No sunroof survey

911oclock

I'm no expert, but from what I understand, the delete was quite rare. It seems that all of the high fliers at the time wanted to be cool and have a sunroof.

Seems it is so rare that I have heard it called the "Sunroof delete option" ...... they are also very sought after for a number of reasons ...

1. No leaky, non working pain in the a** sunroof to fix

2. No hole in the roof = better chassis strength and less flex (especially valuable to track cars)

I'm sure others with more knowledge than me will chime in and set the record straight .....

No idea about these cars(G series)but with the 944, sunroof deletes made up less than 5% (I have read). I have also read that the less flex due to solid roof is not actually true(on 944 at least) as the amount of bracing Porsche used for the sunroof makes the sunroof models more rigid. It is my understanding that sunroof delete models were nearly all "ordered cars" and not just something picked up off the showroom floor, although obviously it is highly probable that some dealers spec'ed up cars for there show room knowing there would be demand for something not out of the box.

I like to think my car was an "ordered car" as it had not just sunroof delete but also sports seats, side protection mouldings, Fuchs(soon to be refurbished)and script interior trim. I am lead to believe this is an extremely rare combination.

BTW I contacted PCA regarding any info on the breakdown of 86 turbo 944's imported and was told no such information exists. I am not sure if this was a we can't be bothered looking response, as 944's are often not loved by some, or if it's true. I have found several sources stating only 110 were bought in and sold in 86 and 87. We never got the 87 dual airbag/abs model. The next batch were 88's.

Edited by cyberpunky

2. No hole in the roof = better chassis strength and less flex (especially valuable to track cars)

The strength isn't the big thing, because on a track car, the cage gives you that. What does make a significant difference is getting rid of weight from one of the worst places it can be. I am told by some that you can actually feel the difference on the track from the lowered centre of gravity.

Try buying an X5 or Q7 or probably any euro Luxury car without a $3k "optional" roof.  The factory sends all the stock loaded with certain options to jack up the sticker price.  And every salesman works hard to talk you out of no roof - ooh, be careful, you'll ruin resale value, 6 month wait for a non sunroof car yada yada

same lurk was probably going on back in 70s, 80s & 90s.  Sales scam to lift the price.  You walk in on a sensible "list price" but quickly find no stock available for months without high margin options which I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't otherwise want/order but impatience sees them take an in stock car than wait for a special order.

Edited by DJM

Can't recall it being discussed before but how common/rare are G series sunroof delete 911's?

Are there delivery numbers recorded in the Porsche vault that have this kind of information?

Cheers

No record of numbers I would think.

Ive got 2 without (Japanese delivered 74 and 75 Carrera's) and a 73E and C3 with. 

I prefer without. 

No idea about these cars(G series)but with the 944, sunroof deletes made up less than 5%

Oh I've got another "rare" car , and it's Oz delivered (Sydney). Perhaps the owner , like me wasn't a fan of the magnifying glass on your head effect.

I recall sunroofs were a "prestige" accessory in the days before melanoma was discovered! 

My Jap delivered 79 SC has not got a hole in the roof  :) so it seems the Japenese spec did not include them.

Apparently the sun roof option also added 15kg ,but back in the swinging 70,s we all thought they were cool.

Funny how the worm turns,now it is cool not to have one.

In qld it's just too damn hot most of the time to have a sunroof.  They are complicated, prone to leaks and lower the roof height as well as add weight.

in a previous car I also made the mistake of commenting (not positively I might add) on pedestrians crossing in front of the car.  In a lowered car your voice is basically below ear level of the pedestrians.  When an uncharitable comment floats out the open sunroof....

what was that thing about saying nothing if you don't have anything nice to say?  Especially in open cars.

My 84 black Aussie 3.2 has a roof.

997 08 Aussie 3.6 grey coupe with roof.

Also 77 copper jap no roof, Aussie 77 continental orange no roof & 76 Aussie ascot green no roof.

prefer without, hardly ever open the one on the 84 as its a track car.

Edited by Rl technical
Add info