Sydney Heat

Al

Jumping on a plane to see Gunners tonight at ANZ stadium. While I wait for Jetstar's system meldown to recover I had a thought about the heat wave I'm about to face and wondered how our air cooled 9ers would cope in this heat..  anyone taking them out?

Jumping on a plane to see Gunners tonight at ANZ stadium. While I wait for Jetstar's system meldown to recover I had a thought about the heat wave I'm about to face and wondered how our air cooled 9ers would cope in this heat..  anyone taking them out?

Never mind the car, I'd say the occupants will expire.

My next pre 964 air cooled will have a wheel well mounted electric fanned condenser and I'll look forward to driving in this weather.

i think it's a non sense to have great cars like this and not be able to drive them in the height of summer.

Although I won't be driving it today or tomorrow, that isn't because of the heat. I have driven the car in 39 degrees with no issue and my a/c worked well enough to keep the inside down to about 26-7 degrees. I might not take the car to the track with the current set up because I suspect an additional front mounted oil cooler would be a good idea.

There is a cylinder head temp sender (I replaced mine last week) and temp gauges on the dash.

I took mine out last weekend in stop start Sydney traffic and very similar weather.  No problem whatsoever!  Temp gauge was slightly higher than usual but still only just above the "first line" if that makes sense.  These cars seem to do it all.

No air con though so my personal temp gauge wasn't looking as healthy!

Do AC 911s have oil temp sensors/ gauges or head temp gauges - or can you install one? Curious to see what rise in ambient temp actually equates to in engine temp?

If you are serious you'd need one on each cylinder. Yes you can install them , like on a plane.
Porsche tests its cars in 50C Algerian deserts , so it can cope. But can the driver?

Yet another reason to buy 964, HVAC A/C, pop the spoiler up and put a resistor inline to trick the oil cooler fan never goes over 1/2 on the hottest days in traffic. Best 964 mod ever and costs all of 20c too.

http://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/639980-how-to-turn-in-oil-cooler-fan-by-212f.htm

This mod can be done a whole lot neater than the above link too. 

Yet another reason to buy 964, HVAC A/C, pop the spoiler up and put a resistor inline to trick the oil cooler fan never goes over 1/2 on the hottest days in traffic. Best 964 mod ever and costs all of 20c too.

http://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/639980-how-to-turn-in-oil-cooler-fan-by-212f.htm

This mod can be done a whole lot neater than the above link too. 

And there was me thinking that you don't need to do silly little mods like that the a 3.2 because the alternator fan does a better job of cooling than on the 964's:P

And there was me thinking that you don't need to do silly little mods like that the a 3.2 because the alternator fan does a better job of cooling than on the 964's:P

So your saying your stock standard 3.2 is happy too sit for an hour or more in traffic on a 33+ degree day with the A/C on, well I'll be.

I jumped on a plane and headed to Bris on Tuesday night for gunners! They rocked, well worth the effort. Oh yeah, my ac cars love the nq heat, never had a single issue. 

So your saying your stock standard 3.2 is happy too sit for an hour or more in traffic on a 33+ degree day with the A/C on, well I'll be.

In short, yes. But my a/c does have some upgraded components.;) I do know that i don't need to improve the engine cooling, which is what you said you needed to do with the 3.6:P

In short, yes. But my a/c does have some upgraded components.;) I do know that i don't need to improve the engine cooling, which is what you said you needed to do with the 3.6:P

"Cool" :rolleyes: nothing is really wrong with the cooling on a 964. The fan on the oil cooler comes on at low speed just over the half mark, which is a bit late for my liking. 

Hey guys, there's this stuff called WATER that's really good for cooling car engines.   It gets circulated by a thing called a water pump so even when stationary, it cools.  Here I was thinking only lawn mowers were air cooled....?

Hey guys, there's this stuff called WATER that's really good for cooling car engines.   It gets circulated by a thing called a water pump so even when stationary, it cools.  Here I was thinking only lawn mowers were air cooled....?

you forgot about beetles 

Till a water pump fails ;) 

I was at Winton for a training day today.  Longest stint was 4 laps, temp went close to redline, not sure what temp it actually equates to!  I was conscious of temp but still drove "spiritedly". Out of interest what tyre pressures are people running with semi slicks, my Bridgestones weren't installing much confidence today!! Cheers 

Archived