Ruf to unveil standalone sports car in Geneva

JV911

Famous Porsche tuner Ruf has dabbled in standalone sports cars in the past, though these have all been based on models from Porsche’s regular fleet—the most recent being 2011’s CTR 3.

At the 2017 Geneva auto show starting tomorrow, Ruf will present a new standalone sports car, one the company designed, engineered and manufactured entirely in-house.

From: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1028313_porsche-tuner-ruf-to-unveil-standalone-sports-car-in-geneva

The car they unveiled is a tribute to the original Yellow Bird but made from scratch using all non Porsche parts - ie all parts designed by RUF.... don't really see the point of it.... :blink:

It's a Porsche that isn't a Porsche...................

There is nothing I do not like about this car.  Perfection.  Hope we can see some interior shots.

The lights are the topping on the cake - instantly recognisable yet very modern.  Removal of the gutters and door handles and flush mount glass - perfection.   If only Porsche had decided to build something like this.  I hope the after market comes up with a knockoff kit at a decent price, something a bit different to going the long hood knockoff route.

I am not going to be popular for this, so sorry, but I think it is a POS. Is Ruf so devoid of ideas that it rips off Porsche's classic shape to produce an all new car. For all I know there might be a great car underneath the body, but to use a Porsche design when so little or nothing is related to Porsche seems to me to be trying to surf on the back of Porsche. The interior is even "original" 964. To me, it's trying to pretend to be something it is not. Even a car like the Singer still remains true to certain Porsche principals but this......

I am not going to be popular for this, so sorry, but I think it is a POS. Is Ruf so devoid of ideas that it rips off Porsche's classic shape to produce an all new car. For all I know there might be a great car underneath the body, but to use a Porsche design when so little or nothing is related to Porsche seems to me to be trying to surf on the back of Porsche. The interior is even "original" 964. To me, it's trying to pretend to be something it is not. Even a car like the Singer still remains true to certain Porsche principals but this......

I said the same thing on a Petrolicious facebook page and people went mental. I agree its shit and stupid and plane lazy. Might be a technical marvel but why say its a new car when obvious it isn't a new body. People say that Porsche are the laziest design company but that's also bullshit as to keep the 911 shape modern for 50 years is a hard job and damn they do a excellent job of it. 

Now here comes RUF, takes a Porsche body and adds a tuned motor and then sells them as RUF NEW CARS. Go look at their website and its just Porsche bodies on modified Porsche chassis.

I remember a Top Gear episode where they had and MR2 Ferrari. The guy was wanted for copyright.

I have to agree! Ruf can make something as amazing as the CTR3 yet they dish out an all new car made from scratch that looks exactly like a 911..... hmmm

ruf4.jpg

And they also made this flat plane V8 to go in the back of a 911, not sure it was ever used though.....

ruf3.jpg

They clearly have TALENT, use it!

They are a Porsche tuner, it's a modern take on one of their classics.   Everyone wants a yellow bird.  I bet they sell twice as many as their sport Boxster thing.

People want modern performance with classic looks.   Modern cars are not to everyone's tastes.   The appeal of the 911 is the lineage in the shape, the heritage of the design, the years of history.  If Porsche are going to abandon that to make luxury GT cars and 4wd cars then it's perfect that RuF is stepping in to fill the void left behind.

i think it's perfect and I hope the product people at Porsche realise what could have been possible.

They are a Porsche tuner, it's a modern take on one of their classics.   Everyone wants a yellow bird.  I bet they sell twice as many as their sport Boxster thing.

This car has nothing to do with being a Porsche tuner, because the car has very little to do with Porsche other than ripping off the design. I am not a fan of Ruf and I certainly would never buy a yellow bird. I think it is lazy tuning, shoving big turbos onto a car (I have played that game and it get boring) then giving it a crass, OTT body (yes, I hate the yellow!), but at least their other Porsche related products take a Porsche and tune it. In this case, they could just as easily used the body shape of any sports car. The only reason anybody in the Porsche community is going "wow" is because they have stolen the shape. Exactly the same car with a different body would get a completely different reaction. Are we really so shallow that all we care about is that a car looks like a Porsche?. Anybody want a Covin with a turbo engine?;)

About the only thing I like about this is the door handles. They're kinda cool.

My heart sank a bit seeing the interior, I mean could they really not come up with anything original? Plus the alcantara steering wheel looks bad.

Interior: http://lln5.mnmcdn.com/galleries/january2016/thumbnailsnew/rg-geneva-ruf-ctr-10_1600.jpg

WOW! That interior could be described as 'We used faaaaaar too much Alcantara'

To me the incongruity of it is the big flat front bumper like the 964, which i never liked either... they take the time to shape the side mirrors, the tail, the door handles, then stick a big flat faced bumper at front... hello? where did the aerodynamics go ? I prefer the singer front bumper or the RSR bumper would do... 

And as @LeeM  said.... O-M-friggen-G!!  Alcantara overload or what...Its waaay too much!!  And the frilly door pocket.. nice touch ladies, for my lippy...:D

Otherwise, pretty good... I dont mind the design copy, re-imagine, backdate thing. Oh yeah, I might be a bit bias in this area.

Archived