1980 SC melbourne bound

Hi guys

After a fews years of stalking the forums and watching every 911 related video on the net, i have found the a candidate being a 1980 (same vintage as myself) to adopt into our family :)

It was purchased last week from the US and is currently being shipped over. Exciting times and sleepless nights until it arrives. Being a daily for the previous owner i guess i will start driving it until i decide on which way to go with the mods, then start the restoration process.  But the first mod will definitly be getting them hideous US spec bumber guards off the rear and losing the whale tail. Anyone with euro versions happy to talk.  Being a Domestic Builder by trade and tinkering with cars and bikes for a long time, i intend to be hands on thoughout the build. I must confess i did watch about 35 episodes the other night of @MFX home built by Jeff in preparation. Hats off to you buddy

Hopefully ill try inserting some pictures of the car as it sits over in the states.

image000003.jpg

Congrats!  I've heard those whale tails are worthless so I'll come pick it up and save you the hassle of hard rubbish :lol:

Shane you just collecting parts or have you picked up a car?

Hi guys

After a fews years of stalking the forums and watching every 911 related video on the net, i have found the a candidate being a 1980 (same vintage as myself) to adopt into our family :)

It was purchased last week from the US and is currently being shipped over. Exciting times and sleepless nights until it arrives. Being a daily for the previous owner i guess i will start driving it until i decide on which way to go with the mods, then start the restoration process.  But the first mod will definitly be getting them hideous US spec bumber guards off the rear and losing the whale tail. Anyone with euro versions happy to talk.  Being a Domestic Builder by trade and tinkering with cars and bikes for a long time, i intend to be hands on thoughout the build. I must confess i did watch about 35 episodes the other night of @MFX home built by Jeff in preparation. Hats off to you buddy

Hopefully ill try inserting some pictures of the car as it sits over in the states.

image000003.jpg

welcome Turk911 and great score. I would be interested in the story of how you found the car, buying experience and shipping.  I am thinking US purchase is the only way I will ever have a long hood in the garage...

Shane you just collecting parts or have you picked up a car?

welcome Turk911 and great score. I would be interested in the story of how you found the car, buying experience and shipping.  I am thinking US purchase is the only way I will ever have a long hood in the garage...

And I'd be interested to know how a car from the US has the wipers set up for a RHD??? .....  very unusual ... :blink:

And I'd be interested to know how a car from the US has the wipers set up for a RHD??? .....  very unusual ... :blink:

it's actually project 69 on the 101 projects book so you do see it a bit.  I think the idea is better visibility because the wiper is not in your line of sight.

Congrats on the imminent arrival.

If it's been a daily driver then it's likely quite reliable.  I suggest just drive it yourself for a while to get familiar.  This will give you an idea of any required maintenance before any thoughts of mods/upgrades. 

it's actually project 69 on the 101 projects book so you do see it a bit.  I think the idea is better visibility because the wiper is not in your line of sight.

California car?  If so, they're rarely used so makes sense to swap them out of the way.  

Keep the wing!  At least in storage. Good ones are hard to find.  The front lip will work as designed with or without the wing.  

Except if you live where there is rain, then the factory setup is appreciated.

You can get seat spacers if you can't see over the dash ;)

thanks for all the feedback gentleman,

yeah didn't even realise the wipers were inverted, great eyes @Dreamr. Confirmed with the seller as he has done exactly that, few mods out of the 101 projects book. In relation to driving the car soon as i can, the obvious first step will be getting a road worthy certificate here in Victoria and applying for a Club permit registration. From what i have been reading i will need to organise rear tail light lenses with the amber indicators and headlights. Would i require RHD headlights or just lens again? any info or direction would be great just so i can organise the bits needed prior to the cars arrival.

Also with all the aftermarket bits available for the 911 on the net and various US & OZ suppliers, what you guys think of the overall fit/finish/quality compared to OEM with parts like lenses lights, bumpers?

cheers

Michael

Pretty big trailer for that tow vehicle, my work amarok would struggle a little :P 

trailer.jpeg

Looks like a nice project. I am jealous of the fact you will get to drive it before you start tinkering on it. I have still never driven mine, and I still have a way to go until it is on the road. 

Hope you enjoy it and I am looking forward to seeing your updates.

Just RHD headlight lenses required.

I used aftermarket parts from Sierra Madre with no real problems in regards to fit and finish, yet for door and window rubbers I was told to use OEM parts and didn't. Just in my very limited experience, the rubbers were a bit small and a bastard to fit, yet got there eventually. The tailight rubber gaskets were utter crap though! Other than that, most pattern parts are usually pretty good

• 2 weeks later...

Except if you live where there is rain, then the factory setup is appreciated.

You can get seat spacers if you can't see over the dash ;)

Project 69 ????   tell me more..........

I meant Project 69 (snigger,snigger) Is there actually a handbook with 101 DYI projects? I have a left hooker and wouldn't mind swinging the wipers over to the other side....

There sure is ....

Its called 101 projects for your Porsche 911 ... by Wayne Dempsey 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally, my SC landed :D:D:D over the moon with it. it had dead battery on arrival, quick jump start and i was off. Drives great, gearbox seems good shifts smoothly brakes aren't the best compared to my daily but overall love it. Cant wait till i have it compliance and registered. 

1.jpg

Archived