981 Cayman S Manual sales numbers - KNOWN

Hi Guys and HNY,

I just got a call back from Porsche Cars Australia. My question to him was - how many 981 Cayman S Manuals were sold in Australia? This disregards build year and does not include base models. 

981 Cayman S Manuals

2014       11 manual         128 PDK       TOTAL 139

2015        3 manual           38 PDK         TOTAL 41

2016        2 manual           15 PDK         TOTAL 17

TOTAL    16 manual         181 PDK        TOTAL 197

Footnote: Before Christmas I was provided with stats for the 2013 S build as 5 manuals and 15 PDK. These 20 vehicles will be include in the numbers above (2014 total), but it helps readers cut the manuals from the above data. 

I was told it wasn't the easiest task to perform and it's something that they don't normally do. Think I'll drop the kind gentleman off a gift for going to the trouble. So there we have it, directly from PCA. Not sure how many cars there are on the road in Australia, but to think I drive one of only 16 is pretty special. 

Hopefully I'll get to meet those of you who will be at the Hangar this Saturday.

Cheers,

6 minutes ago, MrMud said:

Hi Guys and HNY,

I just got a call back from Porsche Cars Australia. My question to him was - how many 981 Cayman S Manuals were sold in Australia? This disregards build year and does not include base models. 

981 Cayman S Manuals

2014       11 manual         128 PDK       TOTAL 139

2015        3 manual           38 PDK         TOTAL 41

2016        2 manual           15 PDK         TOTAL 17

TOTAL    16 manual         181 PDK        TOTAL 197

I was told it wasn't the easiest task to perform and it's something that they don't normally do. Think I'll drop the kind gentleman off a gift for going to the trouble. So there we have it, directly from PCA. Not sure how many cars there are on the road in Australia, but to think I drive one of only 16 is pretty special. 

Hopefully I'll get to meet those of you who will be at the Hangar this Saturday.

Cheers,

Well done, I have to say I thought the manual numbers would have been higher but wow only roughly 8% manuals. Wonder how that translates with 911 numbers? PDK is obviously faster on the track but I doubt the majority of owners go to the track, maybe its true, a lot of people can’t drive a manual or just don’t get it.

Good question re: 911's. It would be an interesting comparo. Obviously PDK cost more but rarity is to be valued as well. A bit like how a Tiptronic 993 would have cost more but the difference now between that and a manual is huge. 

Yes, likely the 2013 numbers are rolled into 2014 and noting 2014 was the first full year of 981 Cayman sales. While the stats are for the more expensive “S” model only, the absolute numbers are much smaller than I would have guessed! The rapid decline post 2014 is interesting and likely due to arrival of GTS from the second half of 2014 (as MY2015 models) - I have read elsewhere that 11 GTS versions came to Australia as manuals. Not sure if I have seen total 981 GTS sales numbers for Australia but I would guess the GTS dragged sales away from the S model in 2015 & 2016 a well optioned S was priced close a GTS (as long you liked the alcantara).

@MrMud Thank you so much for sharing these numbers! You are my hero! The numbers after waiting over a year certainly reflects and feels like reality. I suspect there will be quite a few more manual base models? I have decided to expand my search criteria as the choice of colour would narrow down the numbers ever more significantly. 

Do you mind if I share these stats in the other thread (with due credit) in case anyone is looking for the answer there in future? Thanks again good sir!!!

2 hours ago, GC9911 said:

Wonder how that translates with 911 numbers? PDK is obviously faster on the track but I doubt the majority of owners go to the track, maybe its true, a lot of people can’t drive a manual or just don’t get it.

991.2 manuals are like rocking horse shit - try finding a dealer that has one to test drive

PCM had one manual demo - they ended up selling it

demand is extremely low

1 hour ago, nytelfer said:

Yes, likely the 2013 numbers are rolled into 2014 and noting 2014 was the first full year of 981 Cayman sales. While the stats are for the more expensive “S” model only, the absolute numbers are much smaller than I would have guessed! The rapid decline post 2014 is interesting and likely due to arrival of GTS from the second half of 2014 (as MY2015 models) - I have read elsewhere that 11 GTS versions came to Australia as manuals. Not sure if I have seen total 981 GTS sales numbers for Australia but I would guess the GTS dragged sales away from the S model in 2015 & 2016 a well optioned S was priced close a GTS (as long you liked the alcantara).

Hi David,

I had not quite given the '15 & '16 sales drop much thought, but you are spot on. A well optioned S was right on GTS money. Can you imagine a GTS with all the options you have? The mind boggles.

43 minutes ago, 981KMan said:

@MrMud Thank you so much for sharing these numbers! You are my hero! The numbers after waiting over a year certainly reflects and feels like reality. I suspect there will be quite a few more manual base models? I have decided to expand my search criteria as the choice of colour would narrow down the numbers ever more significantly. 

Do you mind if I share these stats in the other thread (with due credit) in case anyone is looking for the answer there in future? Thanks again good sir!!!

Hi 981KMan,

I am with you regarding more base models being on the road. There is one on carsales right now, as there often seems to be. The gent at PCA was terrific in responding. You could tell this request was a giant pain in the arse for him. I would have though this data was fairly accessible but it seems not. 

I'm more than happy for you to share this info on the forum. This site should be (and is) a trusted resource for members. 

Regards

14 minutes ago, GC9911 said:

I’ve got one, absolutely terrifying.

Terrifying... what a wonderful way to describe a road approved vehicle

Re: 911s The way I've heard it is the person who buys a new 911 is more than likely driving it into the city in traffic daily. Once PDK came about, the dealers were able to sell a line of 'have your cake and eat it too' because of the paddles 'its still a manual!'. Demand for new manuals fell off a cliff. Where it gets interesting is according to the dealers and evidenced on this forum, enthusiasts in the majority want a manual. Mr/Mrs Suit goes and buys the new model, the enthusiast steps in and buys the old model second hand. With the drastically reduced number of manuals what do we think is going to happen to the existing price disparity?

For what its worth, threads on rennlist claim <10% of 911s after 2009 model year were manual where prior to that it had been 60:40 auto to manual.

Hey Sleazius,

You are correct. Getting caught in a daily jam isn't fun. PDK's are great for that. No doubt it has massive appeal and helps the company sell vehicles. I've had one of each and the PDK is super, but it's not the experience I was after. You ponder a good thought, how do enthusiasts get their hands on a manual when there are so few available? 

In my case, it's the only manual S I have seen for sale in  the last 12 months. Jumped on it and probably paid a little more than I should have. Was also not going to miss a chance of the flat 6 with the 718's already launched.   

2009... first year of the PDK in the 997?? I think it came to the Cayman/Boxter in 2011.

2 hours ago, MrMud said:
4 hours ago, nytelfer said:

Hi David,

I had not quite given the '15 & '16 sales drop much thought, but you are spot on. A well optioned S was right on GTS money. Can you imagine a GTS with all the options you have? The mind boggles.

@MrMud@nytelfer Both of you gents got GTS specced S's so you both got great deals :D 

2 hours ago, MrMud said:

Hi 981KMan,

I am with you regarding more base models being on the road. There is one on carsales right now, as there often seems to be. The gent at PCA was terrific in responding. You could tell this request was a giant pain in the arse for him. I would have though this data was fairly accessible but it seems not. 

I'm more than happy for you to share this info on the forum. This site should be (and is) a trusted resource for members. 

Yes, definitely seems to usually be one on Carsales. That black one has been around for a very long time. There seems to be a lot more manual Boxsters and Boxster Ss around. I'd be keen to ask the gentleman at PCA for the Cayman base and Boxster base vs S numbers but I think we'd be very much pushing the friendship :D  Thank you again for sharing the figures. This is the only place in the whole world with the stats, how cool is that?!

1 hour ago, MrMud said:

You ponder a good thought, how do enthusiasts get their hands on a manual when there are so few available? 

Save up for GT4s or order new :mellow:

11 hours ago, GC9911 said:

Well done, I have to say I thought the manual numbers would have been higher but wow only roughly 8% manuals. Wonder how that translates with 911 numbers? PDK is obviously faster on the track but I doubt the majority of owners go to the track, maybe its true, a lot of people can’t drive a manual or just don’t get it.

Or indeed a vast number of people GET the PDK and understand the advantages it brings 

1 hour ago, Grimmy said:

Or indeed a vast number of people GET the PDK and understand the advantages it brings 

No offence intended to the PDK users. I have driven most P cars with PDK including 991.1 GT3 & TT. The PDK is an outstanding acheivment & faster than the manual, just not my choice, each to his own.

1 hour ago, GC9911 said:

No offence intended to the PDK users. I have driven most P cars with PDK including 991.1 GT3 & TT. The PDK is an outstanding acheivment & faster than the manual, just not my choice, each to his own.

So G does that mean you prefer the sound of a sloppy human shift at 9000 in the GT3 rather than the slam it home crisp bark of the PDK?

Don't worry about offending at least us older PDK users that grew up on manuals as  in my case I sit around scratching myself wondering why manual drivers have failed to evolve.?

46 minutes ago, Redracn said:

So G does that mean you prefer the sound of a sloppy human shift at 9000 in the GT3 rather than the slam it home crisp bark of the PDK?

Don't worry about offending at least us older PDK users that grew up on manuals as  in my case I sit around scratching myself wondering why manual drivers have failed to evolve.?

Never heard of 'Slow Food' have you...;)

4 minutes ago, KGB said:

Never heard of 'Slow Food' have you...;)

Im a bit of a foodie with plenty of time to spare so a 2-3 hour lunch is pretty common. Thing is the faster I get there and back the better so PDK enhances the “Slow Food” Experience.

1 hour ago, Redracn said:

Im a bit of a foodie with plenty of time to spare so a 2-3 hour lunch is pretty common. Thing is the faster I get there and back the better so PDK enhances the “Slow Food” Experience.

Severe Dichotomy right there, that is...

10 hours ago, GC9911 said:

Absolutely No offence taken I enjoy both.

However I do find the constant inference on the "internet" that if you don't drive or own a manual you are not "driving" puzzling.

Without question the manually activated clutch transmission is the traditional gear box, does this then make it the purest form of driving or as some put it more manly? Or is it what you relate to or the tradition that you hold onto?

I happy to give new concepts a go and in the case of this modern transmission it is an exceptional piece of engineering with wet clutches that in my view actually enhances the driving experience over an old style manually activated clutch. It also has the advantage of making the car quicker which would take a reasonable pep up in horse power to otherwise achieve.

I see a modern PDK equiped Porsche more desirable than one with a manually activated clutch that after each activation is not quite as good as the previous one....would appear that most also do.

Edited by Grimmy
Typo

From a personal perspective I just love PDK.  I had DSG in my 2008 Golf GTI (V) after a manual WRX and loved it, but it was sometimes a bit clunky and I swore I would never go back to a manual, even with its problems.  The PDK though is a vast improvement on DSG.  Honestly I will never buy a manual again.

Each to their own. I've been driving dual clutch cars since they made the mainstream in 2009. They get better each iteration, but for mine you lose something driving an auto. Can't put my finger on it, its just not as fun. Paddles don't cut it. I just feel far less engaged in an auto. I seem to drive far more sedately too (maybe that is a good thing).

For the track I totally get PDK. For the commute, ditto. For a weekend blast on the backroads? ... give me the manual every time - at least till my knee gives out anyway.

3 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

From a personal perspective I just love PDK.  I had DSG in my 2008 Golf GTI (V) after a manual WRX and loved it, but it was sometimes a bit clunky and I swore I would never go back to a manual, even with its problems.  The PDK though is a vast improvement on DSG.  Honestly I will never buy a manual again.

totally agree; 928 aside (try finding a manual), all other Porsches I have owned were manuals; reluctantly bought my Spyder with PDK and have been blown away by the performance

I am contemplating a new Porsche - either a 718 Spyder or a 911 T, either way it will be a weekend toy. 99% of me says go PDK, however I wanted to test drive a manual just to get it out of my system and lock in my choice

I see a turbo in your future.

10 hours ago, Ozvino said:

totally agree; 928 aside (try finding a manual), all other Porsches I have owned were manuals; reluctantly bought my Spyder with PDK and have been blown away by the performance

I am contemplating a new Porsche - either a 718 Spyder or a 911 T, either way it will be a weekend toy. 99% of me says go PDK, however I wanted to test drive a manual just to get it out of my system and lock in my choice

Note I said I will never "BUY" another manual again.  I will rent one or borrow one though, as I also love the feeling you get driving a manual and the connection it provides.  That is it though I will never buy one again.  The autos today are just too good as a daily driver.  The only good thing about owning a manual is theft protection.  These kids that steal them do not understand why there are 3 pedals and no D or P on the gear stick.  They probably look at a manual and think that it only can go backwards as there is only on R on the gear stick.

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

The only good thing about owning a manual is theft protection.  These kids that steal them do not understand why there are 3 pedals and no D or P on the gear stick.  They probably look at a manual and think that it only can go backwards as there is only on R on the gear stick.

Haha... "Don't nick that bro, it's an old fart car... doesn't even have a D mode!"