Gundo Hack 3.6 Yes/No Recommendations?

Unclehollywood

18 minutes ago, davidgalea76@gmail.com said:

Hi Guys,

I'm booked in at Exhaust World next week after reading through the responses. 

Thanks for the recommendation as I didnt have anyone in melb that come recommended.

Cheers  

You won't be sorry.

On 11/01/2019 at 00:01, targa george said:

Better late than never,

Yes Tingy, 1.5 inch bypass pipe welded in a little after our run with Caver west of Sydney.  During our run, car a little muted anything north of 4k revs.  Kept having to crane my head sideways to hear where I was at tachometer wise if you get my drift.  Gundo well and truly fixed that.

Very keen to get this done on mine. Not in a diy state of mind right now, who did you use @TINGY996 @targa george?

1 minute ago, JWM said:

Mine was organised by Autohaus (they sent them somewhere they use to do it). I believe some others used a place in Penrith. 

Thanks I’ll check in with James as they have it in on Monday

On 14/12/2020 at 12:34, davidgalea76@gmail.com said:

Hi Guys,

I'm booked in at Exhaust World next week after reading through the responses. 

Thanks for the recommendation as I didnt have anyone in melb that come recommended.

Cheers  

I’ll be getting these guys to do my too, just on the hunt for S tips to try and get all sorted at once!!

2 hours ago, Tips said:

Very keen to get this done on mine. Not in a diy state of mind right now, who did you use @TINGY996 @targa george?

Tips, took my mufflers to a guy in Penrith.  Don't have his contact details but if you get in touch with the Zag brothers (Porsche craftsmen George and John) in Kingswood (adjacent suburb to Penrith), they'll put you in touch. 

Reasonably priced, great job, just don't expect him to pick up the phone too often.  His work is quite sought after.

21 hours ago, Tips said:

Did them myself mate, If I had time and a couple more bits of equipment I would offer my services:D

I also got new tips for my car a few months ago, I bought some Dansk tips from Heritage in the UK.

I must also add that these tips also changed the note just a little bit more.

Yy7vefL.jpg

EJfyTh1.jpg

This is a side by side shot of the old tips and the new

wLAlOmB.jpg

rUhomJ4.jpg

vv7QIN5.jpg

phnxokB.jpg

This is a pic of my Gundo installed

USB9C6w.jpg

It was already done when I got my car, and at least for me it is the perfect exhaust for a 996. All of the after market systems I have heard are far too loud and drone on the highway. Gundo gives a nice note when you aren't on it, but it won't bother the neighbours and is fine for a road trip, but when you get on it, it sounds fantastic. No reason not to do it.

On 15/12/2020 at 23:42, targa george said:

Tips, took my mufflers to a guy in Penrith.  Don't have his contact details but if you get in touch with the Zag brothers (Porsche craftsmen George and John) in Kingswood (adjacent suburb to Penrith), they'll put you in touch. 

Reasonably priced, great job, just don't expect him to pick up the phone too often.  His work is quite sought after.

thanks @targa george. I spoke to John at Zag, he put me in touch with Dave at Penrith Exhaust, lovely guy very helpful. I loved his response to my question "I believe you may have done a few gundo hacks", his response: "yeah you could say that!!" I could hear the laughter in his voice......😀
Once I get the mufflers off after new years ill drop them up as it only takes a day to do, and very reasonable vs the Autohaus quote at $1,100 which certainly has some saving you the DIY tax in it. 

its a pity @MFX has his done already, could have used a 'how to' video on removing the mufflers, as I don't need a @TINGY996 experience of dropping a spanner on my head 😮

48 minutes ago, Tips said:

thanks @targa george. I spoke to John at Zag, he put me in touch with Dave at Penrith Exhaust, lovely guy very helpful. I loved his response to my question "I believe you may have done a few gundo hacks", his response: "yeah you could say that!!" I could hear the laughter in his voice......😀
Once I get the mufflers off after new years ill drop them up as it only takes a day to do, and very reasonable vs the Autohaus quote at $1,100 which certainly has some saving you the DIY tax in it. 

its a pity @MFX has his done already, could have used a 'how to' video on removing the mufflers, as I don't need a @TINGY996 experience of dropping a spanner on my head 😮

If i had more time and you were closer I would have no problem helping you get them off mate. 

On 21/12/2020 at 14:33, Ozwin said:

I got the less aggressive fister exhaust done on my 996.2 at Even Engineering in Dandenong. Barely different when idling but a pleasant rumble under power.

IMG_0110a.JPG

I almost did mine this way.

1 hour ago, Tips said:

I was actually disappointed that it was already done on my car, as when I was looking for a 996 that was one of the vids I had planned to make. 

On 22/12/2020 at 17:16, Tips said:

Quote was $1100 need car 3 days. Looking at other options

Wow 😳... I didn’t pay anything like that there, but I guess my mufflers were already off the car while the motor was out... 

1 hour ago, JWM said:

Wow 😳... I didn’t pay anything like that there, but I guess my mufflers were already off the car while the motor was out... 

All i paid was my time:D

2 hours ago, TINGY996 said:

quote at $1,100

That's taking the piss surely. I guess everyone wants a piece of the pie, maybe I should get in on this gig because I sure as shit could do it way cheaper than that.

For those residing in Adelaide, I had my original stock 996.2 mufflers (still new and unused) modified by Dr Dabz fab lab over in Enfield.

Jarrod does a lot of custom welding and I just happened to stumble on his work earlier this year when I found his Facebook page highlighting pics of his work.

From memory he charged me around $300 for both mufflers to be modified, so reasonably cheap for some high quality workmanship.

fmmRlT.jpg

On 23/12/2020 at 15:23, Tips said:

Dave at Penrith city exhaust did my fister D mod some  5 years ago he does a good job and is priced well .

Address: 2/17 Peachtree Rd, Penrith NSW 2750

For those in Melb.

I looked at Preston Mr Muffler, but they get a 3rd party in to do job. Can't remember price, but surely marked up. 

Called Exhaust World, but they wanted whole car as have previously had clearance issues with bumper after mod. My car was out of action as in the middle of AOS replacement. 

Found a thread somewhere on forum here that mentioned Rowville Exhausts that do all custom exhaust systems etc.

Owner said "A Gundo what!" Showed him a video and mufflers. No worries. Quick turn around, a bit of 1 3/4" offcut and $200 later job done.

Only takes 30min or less to remove mufflers yourself. Don't even need to remove bumper.

20191204_135506.jpg

On 23/12/2020 at 17:14, MFX said:

I was actually disappointed that it was already done on my car, as when I was looking for a 996 that was one of the vids I had planned to make. 

You can always do mine Jeff 😉

On 23/12/2020 at 19:16, TINGY996 said:

That's taking the piss surely. I guess everyone wants a piece of the pie, maybe I should get in on this gig because I sure as shit could do it way cheaper than that

Yes Stephen, Dave at Penrith is 1/4 the price if you take the mufflers in to him

• 3 weeks later...