Gundo Hack 3.6 Yes/No Recommendations?

Unclehollywood

2 hours ago, tomo said:

I could be wrong (hope i am ) But the hack should have been done before the tail pipe join. It will still work  ok, just won't be able to change your tips.

We talked about it as he has done a few with this set up but I’m not changing the tips in my ownership so not concerned

• 2 weeks later...

So after a few weeks with the gundo and maybe against the grain here but not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. Did a run to palm beach on Sunday morning taking it through different rev ranges. 1-3k rpm it sounds like hole in the muffler and at 3500 up great. For a daily just finding it a bit loud for local cruising and lower revs, mrs also hates it.
I am seriously considering reversing it whilst look out for a set of sports mufflers to put on instead.

being a 6.1 the direction appears to be the shorter pipe vs the 6.2 looks to be the longer fister option from the blank on the muffler that only cuts out 2 of the 3 baffles rather than all 3. Has anyone tried the fister option on the 6.1 muffler?

9 minutes ago, Tips said:

So after a few weeks with the gundo and maybe against the grain here but not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. Did a run to palm beach on Sunday morning taking it through different rev ranges. 1-3k rpm it sounds like hole in the muffler and at 3500 up great. For a daily just finding it a bit loud for local cruising and lower revs, mrs also hates it.
I am seriously considering reversing it whilst look out for a set of sports mufflers to put on instead.

being a 6.1 the direction appears to be the shorter pipe vs the 6.2 looks to be the longer fister option from the blank on the muffler that only cuts out 2 of the 3 baffles rather than all 3. Has anyone tried the fister option on the 6.1 muffler?

I haven’t experienced the gundo exhaust, so can’t answer that sorry. But I went from stock to the Cargraphic Sound exhaust and can recommend it if you’re after something that’s subdued at low revs but opens up to a very nice, but not over the top growl as the revs go past 4k. I’m very happy with it. In combination with the orange cap/silicone hose/resonator delete mod and a BMC f1 panel filter, it completely altered the character of the car, but still civilized for pootling. Bonus is Cargraphic claims an extra 15ps and a significant weight saving over original. If this is up your alley think @dan189 is still selling Cargraphic in Aus.

7 minutes ago, DT said:

I haven’t experienced the gundo exhaust, so can’t answer that sorry. But I went from stock to the Cargraphic Sound exhaust and can recommend it if you’re after something that’s subdued at low revs but opens up to a very nice, but not over the top growl as the revs go past 4k. I’m very happy with it. In combination with the orange cap/silicone hose/resonator delete mod and a BMC f1 panel filter, it completely altered the character of the car, but still civilized for pootling. Bonus is Cargraphic claims an extra 15ps and a significant weight saving over original. If this is up your alley think @dan189 is still selling Cargraphic in Aus.

yep cargraphic was the preferred muffler from feedback. just pricing atm so might reach out to dan189.  If any PFA'er in Sydney has cargraphic on a 3.4 - 6.1 I would be keen to catch up one morning for coffee to hear it 

11 hours ago, Tips said:

yep cargraphic was the preferred muffler from feedback. just pricing atm so might reach out to dan189.  If any PFA'er in Sydney has cargraphic on a 3.4 - 6.1 I would be keen to catch up one morning for coffee to hear it 

For what it’s worth I have the cargraphic on my 997.1 C2S and it’s perfect. Not too loud around town and rude enough at full noise.

That’s disappointing @Tips. There’s must obviously be a few different ways this gets done... I couldn’t tell you what “version” of gundo/fister/whatever I ended up with tbh but the outcome seems quite different, even given room for the fact it’s obviously a subjective thing!

12 hours ago, JWM said:

That’s disappointing @Tips. There’s must obviously be a few different ways this gets done... I couldn’t tell you what “version” of gundo/fister/whatever I ended up with tbh but the outcome seems quite different, even given room for the fact it’s obviously a subjective thing!

just PM'ed you worth catching up for a comparison

17 minutes ago, TINGY996 said:

Oh, you've done them that way, no chance on an adjustment to the tips that way:(

yep it was the way he could get it to work. i should have just taken the tips off first so there was no confusion. will take them back next week to be redone.

On 14/01/2021 at 22:12, Tips said:

We talked about it as he has done a few with this set up but I’m not changing the tips in my ownership so not concerned

I'm wondering if having the bypass exit so close to the tip is causing the excess noise and ruining the tone?

5 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

I'm wondering if having the bypass exit so close to the tip is causing the excess noise and ruining the tone?

was also my thought. I am catching up with @JWM on Sat for coffee and sound comparison.  I am also keen to hear wat the fister sounds like  in a 996if anyone with one is around the hills district early Sat morning for a sound check and coffee....... 

After some scrambling under the car and comparison test drives, @Tips confirmed my car has the Fister mod, versus his Gundo. Big, big difference. I was thinking on the drive home mine is probably louder in the car when you have the windows up than down like we had them but either way, huge difference!

Great to chat and thanks for the coffee!

btw, my gear change felt like rowing a boat on the drive home after using your short shifter... I'll need to investigate that I think... 😁

6 hours ago, JWM said:

After some scrambling under the car and comparison test drives, @Tips confirmed my car has the Fister mod, versus his Gundo. Big, big difference. I was thinking on the drive home mine is probably louder in the car when you have the windows up than down like we had them but either way, huge difference!

Great to chat and thanks for the coffee!

btw, my gear change felt like rowing a boat on the drive home after using your short shifter... I'll need to investigate that I think... 😁

Really appreciate you taking the time to catch up @JWM it was really helpful to drive your car with some of the items sorted that I am looking to do. That stance is epic love the ride height and quite a difference with the cars parked along side each other.

called Dave at Penrith in the way home and he will have the mufflers On Wednesday to reverse the gundo and do the fister bypass, certainly more the sound I was chasing.

I knew the gearshift was tight and short but didn’t realise how much until I drove yours. 
I’ll look to organise that 996 Sydney area catch up soon, maybe a run to trading post near Wollombi for the northerners

On 26/01/2021 at 10:49, Tips said:

I have cargraphic on my 3.6

I’m also hoping  to xAtch up with Greg Bailey who has been doing a valved exhaust hack on std systems in mlb next week . 

Going to try and get the gundo done this week at Exhaust World.

Anyone know how long it takes to get done? Feels like a 60min job to me - trying to work out logistics.

EDIT: Booked in for this week. Anything I should be requesting? 1.5 pipes feels the right balance. Does anyone have the short and sweet?

1 hour ago, jordan said:

Got the Gundo Hack done through Exhaust World in Nth Melbourne. Dropped it in at 8am, done an hour later.  
Wow! What a difference it makes; sounds like a Porsche now. 

Hows it sound out the road, Just beaut or bloody noisey In the cab when cruising? 

On 30/01/2021 at 16:48, Tips said:

Really appreciate you taking the time to catch up @JWM it was really helpful to drive your car with some of the items sorted that I am looking to do. That stance is epic love the ride height and quite a difference with the cars parked along side each other.

called Dave at Penrith in the way home and he will have the mufflers On Wednesday to reverse the gundo and do the fister bypass, certainly more the sound I was chasing.

I knew the gearshift was tight and short but didn’t realise how much until I drove yours. 
I’ll look to organise that 996 Sydney area catch up soon, maybe a run to trading post near Wollombi for the northerners

Picked up my mufflers from Penrith this morning after fister mod, will fit them Sat and see if it’s more the sound I was chasing

11 hours ago, Tips said:

Picked up my mufflers from Penrith this morning after fister mod, will fit them Sat and see if it’s more the sound I was chasing

What’s the difference in sound? I can only imagine the fister is softer and less throaty?

30 minutes ago, jordan said:

What’s the difference in sound? I can only imagine the fister is softer and less throaty?

We should have taken some GoPro's and made a comparison YouTube @Tips! 😂

Huge difference... Fister is more like a stock exhaust with a little more note... Gundo was significantly louder and a different kind of sound. Ideal world you'd want both on a switch I reckon!

6 minutes ago, P-Kay said:

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought they were both the same?

Is one where the two pipes are joined and the other a new pipe is plumbed into the top 'spare' spot on the muffler into the out pipe?

Yes the 2 pipe hack is the Gundo and joby from the blank on the muffler to the outlet  pipe is the fister .