Gundo Hack 3.6 Yes/No Recommendations?

Unclehollywood

I did my 996 3.4 last year, simply the best $380 mod I’ve ever done. Absolutely no drone, great low bass rumble on idle and a howl after 4000 rpm... now  my Porsche sounds like a Porsche. 

I used Exhaust World in North Melbourne simply because they have done a number of Gundo modifications. 

OK, questions as to exactly how this is done, and what configuration for the pipe.  The photo above looks pretty straight forward, and appears to be just a short, straight section in between the exhaust in and out pipes, whereas others I've seen appear to be longer, curved sections per this photo.  Any comparison between the 2 sound & drone wise?  The one shown above looks to be much simpler to do, and I can probably get done at the engineering business I work at as we do a fair bit of stainless stuff...

cheers

Peter

fister b.jpg

Sound can vary with the size of the bypass pipe of the piece that bridges the inlet and outlet that has been curved for ease of welding ......I just ran a short piece in between like the very top image in post 1 from memory I went 1 inch and 3/4 dia , this gives a very sporty flay six howl ,,,some go as large as 2.5 inch entirely up to you how large you go ...

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DlFF0Wnx9-NI&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjyscC3k8bfAhVIwrwKHcpeA_8QtwIwAHoECAoQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2dJTXOPyRoZOO5UcR6Xgfw

Tingy,

At about the 1 minute 50 second mark of the above video, discussion centres around the size of the bypass pipe. 

On 30/12/2018 at 09:15, targa george said:

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DlFF0Wnx9-NI&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjyscC3k8bfAhVIwrwKHcpeA_8QtwIwAHoECAoQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2dJTXOPyRoZOO5UcR6Xgfw

Tingy,

At about the 1 minute 50 second mark of the above video, discussion centres around the size of the bypass pipe. 

Thanks mate, i have been watching all i can and doing my homework on the best way to do this. I think i have decided what i will be doing now, have you done this George?

As noted before in the thread, I'll be looking to do this too.  Just need to clean all the woodworking and other sh*t out of the garage into my new workshop which is 95% finished, and sell the 987, so I can move my car back into the garage and work on it....

I did a PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust) hack on my 996 C4S. Its different than the Gundo Hack.

Made a significant difference to the sound, no drone & not too load as to be obnoxious. Just took pics of what I wanted to the local exhaust guy (Tough Muff, funny yes) and less than $300 for both. I removed & fitted.

Just Google it  

31 minutes ago, KieranD said:

Just got my 996.2 done at Exhaust World in North Melbourne.  They seem to be a good honest shop and my car now sounds like it should have.  They have plenty of experience with this mod and one of the guys in the shop owns a 964.

Thanks for the recommendation FUCHer.

I should do this to my 996. How is the sound inside the car, any droning or loudness? do you know what size pipe they used?

I got them to use a 1.5" pipe.  This was based on the videos from the carwow guy on youtube.  The guys at exhaust world also recommended this size.

There are plenty of videos on youtube with various sized pipes being used.  

There is no droning.  It has a nice rumble at idle and is louder above ~3,000rpm.  When below ~3,000rpm there isn't much of a difference in the cabin with the windows up or down.  

I'd Just do the gundo and you will be happy. Its not overly loud and provides a great note. Then, if money allows get yourself some 200 cell sports cats. (Fabspeed, AWE etc)

Job done!

I went another route after my PSE valves malfunctioned; rather than replacing the factory mufflers with PSE through Porsche at 2k each, I had both mufflers opened up and 'high flowed'. 

So for the last year I've been running X51 extractors and AWE cats with this set up. Above 4k is quite aggressive/loud and under 4k around town it's deep and burbley. I'll admit, its a little obnoxious but fun for now. At some point I'll want to make it a bit quieter and refined. 😄

On 31/12/2018 at 15:15, TINGY996 said:

Thanks mate, i have been watching all i can and doing my homework on the best way to do this. I think i have decided what i will be doing now, have you done this George?

Better late than never,

Yes Tingy, 1.5 inch bypass pipe welded in a little after our run with Caver west of Sydney.  During our run, car a little muted anything north of 4k revs.  Kept having to crane my head sideways to hear where I was at tachometer wise if you get my drift.  Gundo well and truly fixed that.