Entry level vintage car suggestions for my little brother

My 21 year old brother wants to purchase a classic car for himself with around $10,000 to spend. Would love to hear what suggestions PFA'er have. I've tried to talk him out of it and spend it travelling instead but he seems pretty adamant so I thought I'll help him out. 

His criteria are:

- Automatic
- European
- Eligible for club permit (25 years or older)
- Not disastrously expensive/difficult to maintain
- Will appreciate in value

So far I have thought of a 190E Sportline, E30 325i, Saab 900 Aero, MK2 Golf...is there anything I've overlooked? It's slim pickings for $10k in 2018, I personally find a lot of value in the JDM realm but he doesn't seem to want to follow his brother's ricer missteps.

BMW 3-Series . . . you see them for sale at around the $10k mark. Not sure if they tick the "cheap to maintain" box.    https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/BMW-318i-1983/SSE-AD-5111407/?Cr=14

Not 25 years old quite yet . . . but Mazda gen 1 MX-5 will be a great classic car value at ~$10k.  Easy to maintain.  Should appreciate.

I would have suggested a 924 also - Turbo aside they are very simple and you can get parts reasonably easy

Saab - becoming a pain in the ass to get parts and those that are available are getting expensive

1 hour ago, Troubleshooter said:

924/944 auto fits the bill and 944 not hard to find ... a good one, well maybe harder:ph34r:

Seriously, do not buy a 944 auto, i know where there is one but i would not recommend an auto to anyone, they are slower than a VW Kombi with 400,000 original kms:wacko:

2 hours ago, npvpositive said:

Not 25 years old quite yet . . . but Mazda gen 1 MX-5 will be a great classic car value at ~$10k.  Easy to maintain.  Should appreciate.

1st Gen is 25 years old now, first built in 89.

That would be my suggestion as well on a budget if he can comprise on the European thing, such a great car for the money!

32 minutes ago, TINGY944 said:

Seriously, do not buy a 944 auto, i know where there is one but i would not recommend an auto to anyone, they are slower than a VW Kombi with 400,000 original kms:wacko:

Speed or even a slow pace wasn't a requirement... I almost offered this up, sports car wasn't a requirement either:ph34r:  Seriously I go with the others, he should go Jappa, MX5 is the go, and leaves 5k up his sleeve:D

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Humber-Super-Snipe-1967/SSE-AD-5249092/?Cr=0

1967 Humber Super Snipe Auto

1990 Mazda MX-5 NA Series 1 Auto

190E or E30.  Bullet proof construction and easy parts. Try and get a 6, or a 2 door in the e30.

he should really drop the auto requirement but it will make it easier.

190Es are really unique - drop them a bit and a nice set of wheels and they look cool.  Benz took the route of s-class compact at the time.  Slam the door on one and it makes a 911 sound like a tin can in comparison.

no to the British stuff!

Edit : golfs have a massive market and a gti will hold value.  But they are a cheap car to start with, so are not as well constructed or great to drive.

Why an auto?? A big part about driving a classic car these days, is because it is something different and it is an adventure to drive it. If he can't drive a manual and he is into classic cars, it is the perfect opportunity to learn. Great skill to have, and makes driving so much more rewarding?

12 hours ago, MARTY said:

Mk2golf gti on CS looks ok for $9k

Picked up mine for $2k with rego earlier this month so bargains are still out there. Already spent more on fishnet recaros and D90s to dress her up. Might consider selling it for what it owes me to my brother if he likes it.

C5_D26712_B93_C_4414_9_E85_2_BF65029_FBB

1 hour ago, MFX said:

Why an auto?? A big part about driving a classic car these days, is because it is something different and it is an adventure to drive it. If he can't drive a manual and he is into classic cars, it is the perfect opportunity to learn. Great skill to have, and makes driving so much more rewarding?

He’s a kid. He’s grown up in a world where everything is on-demand, auto focus, overnight delivery...shifting gears is so passé for the Instagram generation. I’ll get him onto the harder stuff eventually but a vintage auto he can cruise around in will be the gateway drug.

28 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

Cool old car that one! The bosses vehicle of choice back in the day. It would look good next to my '67 Benz

Just add Trilby and , er , the missing brakes!

That’s seriously cool - hipsters wet dream

if it wasnt for the EURO part. I would suggest 100% an MX5, it will teach him/her so much to drive.

Euro wise, i would suggest a Pug 306 GTI. i love these cars so much. Maybe an alfa 147 GTA..... 

Archived