Drive a diesel car? Australia's "dieselgate"

tazzieman

What the hell happened to good ol' reliable never say die deisel engines.... The old tractor lived in the field or next to the shed , rain n rust , and year on end you just started her up and put her to work. Changed the plugs or leads every 5 years and oil once in a while, 50 years later still running and working the field and on about 1/3 the price of petrol. Soccer mums have been conned!

""What are diesel-engined car owners seeing that can one day cost them a fortune?

• Carbon and soot deposits choking intake manifolds, coating sensitive gas recirculation valves and even jamming turbocharger actuator flaps.
  • Failing diesel particulate flilters, some costing owners up to $12,000 in repair bills
  • Not using the right low-ash engine oil, an act that can accelerate the pace at which the diesel particulate filter fails
  • Car makers not advising owners to take their diesel-engined vehicle for at least one “hot run” a week to get the particulate filter up to a temperature that lets it burn off the particles it is trapping""

Happy to run my Diesel Territory into the ground.  Probably helps that most days I drive 100kms to and from work.  Love the diesel torque for everyday driving plus ability to tow the van.  Economical enough with lots of space.  When my needs in this area reduce I'll probably look for a Golf runaround

Public awareness is minimal. Or the "it won't happen to me" syndrome is activated.Visibly dirty city air means you are breathing fags ... without a filter.
Rise up against the evil diesel!

Cancer Council info:

Diesel engine exhaust and cancer

Diesel engine exhaust (DEE) is created by burning diesel fuels. It contains a mixture of airborne chemicals that can be harmful to people. When breathed in, these chemicals increase your risk of developing long-term health problems. This includes lung cancer and possibly bladder cancer. In Australia, diesel engine exhaust is the second most common cancer causing agent (carcinogen) workers are exposed to, behind ultraviolet radiation exposure. It is estimated that 1.2 million Australian workers were exposed in 2011.

Airborne contaminants

DEE contains a mixture of gases and soot, which is also called particulate matter. Other substances, including carcinogens, may stick to the soot. Because soot particles are very small they can easily get deep into the lungs. This is how they cause a range of short-term and long-term health problems, including cancer. Regular exposure to high levels of soot, over a long period of time, increases the risk of getting lung and bladder cancer.

Cancer risk from DEE varies depending upon:

• where the engine is being operated (outside or enclosed space)
  • ventilation in the workspace
  • number of engines
  • type and age of the engine
  • size of engines
  • fuel pump setting
  • engine temperature
  • fuel used (e.g. low-sulphur diesel)
  • use of emission control system/s
  • state of engine tuning and maintenance
  • pattern of use (load and acceleration)
  • length of time the worker is exposed.

you ask what happened..... Environmental concerns are what happened.  Petrol combustion destroys the atmosphere.  Diesel combustion destroys the air we breath.  So this needs to be remedied.

Pollution control means lots of exhaust control and this snuffles simplicity.  Achieving suitable levels of fuel economy  have the same issues.

The new diesel car engine needs to be heavily controlled to ensure it emits almost nothing bad.  Lots of electronics and multiple passes of exhaust through filters gives reduced fuel use and emissions but the filters will fail if they're not serviced or treated right.

Too many people only drive a short distance or at a slow speed so the engine and exhaust don't get hot enough to burn off the collected crap in the filters and oil. And obviously lots of  on/off throttle destroys economy. Adblue and ultra high temp burn offs are the technical solution and for the car driver a pain in the arse, and don't see the need for it being mandatory so they'll skip it and eventually something expensive will bust.

My 2000 turbo diesel Jackaroo was the first high tech diesel passenger car.  Ultra high oil pressures meant lots of sensors, very high quality and expensive oil, 5000km service intervals, large oil filters.  Greatly improved power from, at the time typically 80-90 kw up to 118kw, but very expensive to keep on the road.  Most modern diesels will be like this now but it's taken 10+ years.

'Time bombs' is right.

Petrol is bad but diesel is really bad.

250+kms on the old Disco 3 , still drives 600-1000kms a week   .. does run abetter with the occasional injector cleaner run through it 

Seems like the clogging issue is also on the Petrol cars or is that the dogy O2 and wgine sesnors they put in most things now days to get more money outta ya .. another light on syndrome for the repairer to charge you for.

13 minutes ago, symsy said:

250+kms on the old Disco 3 , still drives 600-1000kms a week   .. does run abetter with the occasional injector cleaner run through it 

Seems like the clogging issue is also on the Petrol cars or is that the dogy O2 and wgine sesnors they put in most things now days to get more money outta ya .. another light on syndrome for the repairer to charge you for.

I think you nailed it Symsy. People make stuff you don't really need then it breaks and you have to fix it ($$) or buy another new device.($$$)
People "buy it" every time.
That's capitalism for ya.
Oh , and that's old landrovers for ya!

I can remember when the greenazis were saying that diesel was better for the environment than petrol engines. So I guess that theory went the way of the hole in Ozone layer that I was responsible for cos I used too many cans of spray degreaser. I am sceptical in my advancing years.

My turbocharged 4 cyl 3.2 L. Nissan diesel is simple, strong & reliable and would easily pull a sailor off my sister ( which is my old performance benchmark).

wife has a Dieselgate Passat Alltrack - she doesnt do anywhere near enough miles, its a school taxi. The thing often runs after shutoff for 10 minutes trying to burn off the Diesel build up. Should never have bought her a diesel

Makes me smile when I hear the diesel burn-off or see the stop start button. The lengths they went to putting those measures into the car when in reality it was spewing poison through fake software amazes me. 

Chickenshit Australia with a total lack of consumer balls let VW off scott free; we should have forced a buy back like the US did

1 hour ago, sleazius said:

5 year old ML the unit that burnt the soot died (whatever they are called) - wasn't an adblue issue, as I was religious in making sure it was topped up. $4k to replace the entire unit.

Awesome.

Cut it out and override dude, reprogram it , get you a new website and persona app for $4k ;) 

2 hours ago, tazzieman said:

I think you nailed it Symsy. People make stuff you don't really need then it breaks and you have to fix it ($$) or buy another new device.($$$)
People "buy it" every time.
That's capitalism for ya.
Oh , and that's old landrovers for ya!

next job for me it to cut a hole in the floor and put a S2 manual landy handbrake in and get rid of that elec shit handbrake and its stupid light and messages in the S3…  what a waste of fuchen time that shit is.. electric handbrakes, who the Fuch invented that shit … if you cant push that little button in and move your arm you shouldnt drive..  how hard is it to co-ordinate that shit with a few pedal movement.. maybe I shoulda put this in the vent post…!!!

If you know your car wire cutters are the best OBD and LED tools I know ..for the dailys

There's no doubt that the diesel engines in the bigger vehicles will go the distance.  I sold my 11 year old at the time diesel Jackaroo after it had cost me yet another 3.5k to get going - it had 225k kms on it, and the new owner put on another 125k before it gave up on him and he spent $$$ and did another 100k.  The Disco 3 has it's own issues but it's of the same era as Jackaroo and and as you said Symsy, wire cutters used to diagnose are great for many cars if you know what you're doing! 

We need fuel to produce power to either directly move our vehicles (diesel and petrol) or to charge a battery that will runs motors (electric).  What we have to sort out is what the best way to achieve this is, and obviously we oscillate as technology moves around.  Just as we took on diesel (the diesel tech got high, and also economy became an issue when petrol hit 1.65 per unleaded litre), suddenly the newer petrol cars got down to circa 5.5-6l per 100km and they became overall cheaper to run but many people had tied in to a diesel until the next lease cycle ended.....

Ok so I cant quite work out how to run a V8 Supercharged petrol rangerover at an economic price… Dont swear and mention LS3 Jeeps

Im buying another diesel and taking the TT out for a thrash.. like yesterday 28l per /100 im impressed 

Fuch the environment

Didn't France ban anything but diesel cars in Paris CBD? One way to have a legal genocide to lower the population I spose. Either that or get murdered by one of thousands of dodgy imports living on the streets! S..thole anyway ?

The 'experts' who are not in the government's pockets have been saying diesel is dangerous for many years, and they were silenced pretty quickly. Same as those doctors who made huge medical discoveries (Aids possibly?) only to die (murdered) soon after they went public, and all their research mysteriously vanished after a 'robbery' ?

The only reason governments push for certain things is for their financial benefit, and if people die because of it, well that's just collateral damage

19 minutes ago, LeeM said:

The only reason governments push for certain things is for their financial benefit, and if people die because of it, well that's just collateral damage

The extreme being war.

8 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Didn't France ban anything but diesel cars in Paris CBD? One way to have a legal genocide to lower the population I spose. Either that or get murdered by one of thousands of dodgy imports living on the streets! S..thole anyway ?

Paris was the opposite, there are currently restrictions on diesels that can be driven there, older diesels produced before 2001 are currently not allowed in the city between 8am and 8pm and they are looking to ban diesels altogether by 2024.

I don't and never got the passenger car diesel fad, the reasons I'd buy (and have owned) Diesel is purely for the torque to pull a large trailer and/or the range... they just don't really make sense outside of this... but then again, people are seemingly unlimited and entitled to their lifestyle choices in 2018.

32 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

The extreme being war.

Don't get me started! 

Had my nephew here for coupla days this week after tours of Afghanistan and Iraq who showed me hours of video from heavy contact every day for 6 months, not to mention the horrendous stories and photos of what REALLY happens over there, yet we don't hear about all that!  All for what? He's a hard bastard, yet came back a disheartened and very angry man (on the mend though)

Sorry for the thread drift, carry on