Battery charger

Eddy

I bought a CTEK battery charger for my Boxster because my car will sleep for a couple months.

When I connect the clamp to the car battery I cannot close the car bonnet, if I cannot closed properly the bonnet lamp will on all the time.

Please advise how can I closed the car bonnet with connected the battery charger

car battery.jpg

Ctek.jpg

39 minutes ago, WB997.2GTS said:

Or buy the Ctec battery cable that has ring lugs and permanently connect that cable to the battery. 

This. Looks from your box like you should already have the o ring connectors

1 hour ago, D2000 said:

This. Looks from your box like you should already have the o ring connectors

Yes Eddie in your second photo the two "o" ring connectors should be fitted to your battery and then a plastic connector.   I have mine hooked up with that and I can shut the bonnet.   I will do a few photos for you..

Eddy,

photo 1 shows the electrical cable coming out from under the closed bonnet/frunk with the old cloth nappy protecting paintwork

photo 2  shows the small plastic connector which is a push in clip ..left side of the clip, the cable goes to the charger, right side of the clip             cable goes to the battery.   NOTE.  The cable from the battery to white plastic clip is a permanent fixture.

photo 3   shows the "O" ring type connectors attached to the battery terminals.   They will not effect the bonnet closing like the alligator clips that you are using do. 

The plastic cover for that battery also fits back without problems and the cable stays outside ready for connection at the end of every drive, or for storage like you are doing.

I hope that helps, I can give you a ring and talk you through it if you need.

IMG_2468.jpeg

IMG_2469.jpeg

IMG_2470.jpeg

2 hours ago, Niko said:

Yes Eddie in your second photo the two "o" ring connectors should be fitted to your battery and then a plastic connector.   I have mine hooked up with that and I can shut the bonnet.   I will do a few photos for you..

Eddy,

photo 1 shows the electrical cable coming out from under the closed bonnet/frunk with the old cloth nappy protecting paintwork

photo 2  shows the small plastic connector which is a push in clip ..left side of the clip, the cable goes to the charger, right side of the clip             cable goes to the battery.   NOTE.  The cable from the battery to white plastic clip is a permanent fixture.

photo 3   shows the "O" ring type connectors attached to the battery terminals.   They will not effect the bonnet closing like the alligator clips that you are using do. 

The plastic cover for that battery also fits back without problems and the cable stays outside ready for connection at the end of every drive, or for storage like you are doing.

I hope that helps, I can give you a ring and talk you through it if you need.

IMG_2468.jpeg

IMG_2469.jpeg

IMG_2470.jpeg

Or you can run the cable up toward the windscreen and sit the charger on the windscreen, which is what I do

For $20-30 I'd recommend just buying the comfort cig connector. It's annoying it doesn't come as just a standard item with the charger but more $ to make for them selling it separate I guess...

It's so much easier to live with and there's not a huge pinch on the cord when you close the door on it. Plus, it allows the unit to sit flush on the ground next to / under your car whereas with the battery connector cord, I found it too short to sit flat on the ground and had the unit dangling off the side of the car (maybe I didn't position it well enough).

I just didn't want to rest the Ctek anywhere on the car and wanted it hidden under it as I live in a shared parking garage.

https://www.batteriesdirect.com.au/shop/search/706/ctek-accessories.html - I've used these guys with no issues. Quick and reliable

good luck!

FYI for those with 996s on AU delivered cars the cig lighter is switched so it can't be used to charge.

Also when i'm using my ctek I just put a sponge between the bonnet and the latch - it props up the hood so the wires aren't crushed - I leave the ctek unit in the frunk on a small flat piece of wood.

Another option is to buy a longer c-tek cable and then route it into the frunk - I did this so I don't have to remove the battery cover when i'm charging and the plug is permanently in the frunk.

There is also this option which is good - I just didnt want to cut any panels:

56-380.jpg

+1 don't see how it would affect your PSM unless you started the car with the charger attached?? Which I would assume you wouldn't but just in case. 

Also if you have a code scanner give it a scan, if you don't maybe disconnect the battery and reconnect see if the error persists. 

40 minutes ago, Niko said:

Did you check it with the other alligators clips on Eddy?   

I can't see how that would effect the PSM...But...

after searched the internet,  take the car drive for minutes,  PSM go away and reset to mormal

thanks

Thanks everyone . My car can have good sleep 😁

44 minutes ago, Eddy said:

after searched the internet,  take the car drive for minutes,  PSM go away and reset to mormal

thanks

Thanks everyone . My car can have good sleep 😁

Pissa....   good on you Eddy

If the charger is very warm to hot it indicates that the charger is pumping a lot of charge into the battery. If you have recently driven the car say last day or do and you have just connected the charger its an indication that the battery is struggling to keep a charge and is on its way out. Looking at the date marked onto the side of the battery it is now approaching 4yrs old and is rapidly approaching the end of its life. Personally I would replace the battery and leave the new one on the trickle charger while you are away and enjoy the holiday. 

Warren

2 hours ago, Eddy said:

I feel the ctek charger is hot, is that normal temperature ?

15478789199664973277057818883333.jpg

Eddie,

From the display you can see it is in the "Bulk" phase where it is charging at it's maximum current. Once it moves to the "Absorption" phase it should cool down to merely warm as the current drops away to almost nothing as it reaches a fully charged state. 

On 19/01/2019 at 19:35, Peter M said:

Eddie,

From the display you can see it is in the "Bulk" phase where it is charging at it's maximum current. Once it moves to the "Absorption" phase it should cool down to merely warm as the current drops away to almost nothing as it reaches a fully charged state. 

Hi Peter,

You are correct, the charger is cool down once moved to "absorption". I am confident leave it on over night now.

Thanks 

• 3 months later...

Ok, potentially silly question ahead... I’m a little paranoid about leaving items plugged in and turned on whilst away from home for extended periods (yep, one of ‘those’ people) - with my CTEK I have been giving the car an overnight charge once a week and then unplugging the charger - just to keep the battery healthy as I generally drive intermittently.

My thinking initially was that it was good to give the battery a full charge every now and then (as my battery is now almost 5 years old)? Am I doing more harm than good?  Is it actually helping?

7 minutes ago, Beau said:

Ok, potentially silly question ahead... I’m a little paranoid about leaving items plugged in and turned on whilst away from home for extended periods (yep, one of ‘those’ people) - with my CTEK I have been giving the car an overnight charge once a week and then unplugging the charger - just to keep the battery healthy as I generally drive intermittently.

My thinking initially was that it was good to give the battery a full charge every now and then (as my battery is now almost 5 years old)? Am I doing more harm than good?  Is it actually helping?

Its fine, you can't overcharge the battery

The ctek will start to discharge it then charge it back up again. It's designed to stay connected for long periods of time. I put mine on a small flat piece of wood because it can heat up at times - that's not necessary though.