996 RS vs 997.1 RS

WGA

39 minutes ago, James P said:

Nice.. so whats your view when you compare the 2 cars?

Kyle Fortune will be penning the story so will be interesting to see what he ultimately writes but my personal views from the day were...

There is no doubt about that the 997.1 is the better car but the 996 RS has 1000% more character. Its pretty much the last RS that retains the typical bobbing nose and you can almost steer the car on the throttle alone e.g. a small lift off results in understeer and the car drifting wide whereas the 997.1 nose is more pinned and less sensitive to throttle on/offs. As a result the 996 is more of challenge to drive but ultimately the more rewarding car.

Another big difference is sound. The 997.1 was the beginning of valved exhausts and what is now regarded as “the Porsche sound”.  In comparison, the 996 is quite muted...as were all 911s pre-997. So while the 996 was preferred as the drivers car, the 997.1 was preferred for the sound and the theater.

1 hour ago, Spectre said:

I thought you were shipping the 997 rs out to Aus?

Under the rules I can only bring two cars, one for me and one for my wife so I have to make a choice.....so I have decided to bring back my 964 RS and 996 RS...my two favorite cars...at the moment at least.

28 minutes ago, Stephen Tinker said:

What a ball tearing decision that must have been......

The orange 997.1 RS in the photos is not my car. Mine is a 997.2. Although I must admit that it looked fantastic. RS Orange is one of my favorite colours.

1 hour ago, WGA said:

There is no doubt about that the 997.1 is the better car but the 996 RS has 1000% more character.

Nailed it. 

1 hour ago, WGA said:

I have decided to bring back my 964 RS and 996 RS...my two favorite cars...at the moment at least.

^^^^ Love this. You are da man. 

3 hours ago, WGA said:

Under the rules I can only bring two cars, one for me and one for my wife so I have to make a choice.....so I have decided to bring back my 964 RS and 996 RS...my two favorite cars...at the moment at least.

That is the right choice IMO... 

6 hours ago, WGA said:

Kyle Fortune will be penning the story so will be interesting to see what he ultimately writes but my personal views from the day were...

There is no doubt about that the 997.1 is the better car but the 996 RS has 1000% more character. Its pretty much the last RS that retains the typical bobbing nose and you can almost steer the car on the throttle alone e.g. a small lift off results in understeer and the car drifting wide whereas the 997.1 nose is more pinned and less sensitive to throttle on/offs. As a result the 996 is more of challenge to drive but ultimately the more rewarding car.

Another big difference is sound. The 997.1 was the beginning of valved exhausts and what is now regarded as “the Porsche sound”.  In comparison, the 996 is quite muted...as were all 911s pre-997. So while the 996 was preferred as the drivers car, the 997.1 was preferred for the sound and the theater.

I don't have the 996 RS, just a lowly Mk1 GT3 ... 

As against the 997.1 RS and also the 997.2 RS, the GT3 is hands down more analogue and characterful but in all other respects the other 2 cars are better.  I'd argue that even the 997 RS's still have that "old style" feel.  Certainly as against the 991.1 RS they are still more "traditional".

4 hours ago, spiller said:

WGA, would love to hear your opinion on the 996RS v 997.2RS. Perhaps you love the 996 more as you have ultimately chosen to bring it to Aus with you, but I’d still be interested to hear your thoughts. They’re my two dream road going Porsches.

Have you seen @WGA collection? Pretty sure he would recommend you just buy one of each. ;):lol: