997 for daily

Jcg1

Hi guys, I’m thinking of getting a 997 for a daily car. I already have a fully restored 77 model 911 but looking for something more modern for daily duties.

who drives their 997 daily? Pros and cons...

I have two kids(4 year old and 1.5 year old) I can fit the child seats in my 77, but unsure if I can live with it on a daily car.

10 hours ago, Jcg1 said:

Hi guys, I’m thinking of getting a 997 for a daily car. I already have a fully restored 77 model 911 but looking for something more modern for daily duties.

I have two kids(4 year old and 1.5 year old) I can fit the child seats in my 77, but unsure if I can live with it on a daily car.

I’ve been contemplating the same thing. As a daily I think it would be fine. I drove a 996 for a long time as a daily.  Just fine.   As for kids seats, if they fit in the 77, they’ll go into a 997. 

I am a 997.1 C2 S owner , I dont use mine as a daily because I am a tradie ,,,,but there is no reason why you couldn,t do so ,,they are a epic drive ,very reliable and would be great to use mine every day .

Only negative IMS and rear main seal issues ,I have had neither problem ,,,,slow cranking when hot requires starter battery cable replace ,,very common on cars of the 997 age ,,can be done if you are hands on ,,I did mine not very costly but requires around 8 to 10 hours labor to replace . These issues are prone to series 1 cars the 997.2 cars Porsche corrected these problems and also added PDK transmission to series 2

Interior is pretty solid but some of the painted pieces do get scratched up and the heater fan switches and radio knobs tend to wear poorly ,again series 2 cars wear better than series 1 as Porsche made improvements 

My advise go for a S with 3.8 in manual and you want the sports chrono option ,that sport button changes the car from mild mannered to knife edged focused ,,,,gives you the option to turn it on and off depending on how you feel ...

Personally I never turn my sports button off ,first thing I hit on start up ,,and do use the adaptive suspension button depending on road surface , 350Hp is more than enough power for public roads and its useable power delivery .

The series 2 had 380 HP DFI engine and is better all round ,but will come with a higher asking price .

They are very agile in the handling with huge levels of grip and a pin point accurate steering feel .amazing feedback and the car feels smaller than it really is when you are in the drivers seat .

Another tip , The 997 exhaust knot is pretty farty and quite if it is not fitted with active exhaust ,,,so a fister D mod or muffler change is a must to get that raw flat six sound .

A good S with say 50,000 klm will go for a round $100 to $110 K for series one and series 2 $120 to $130 K price range depending on options and transmission type ,,,manual coupe seem to be the more expensive in both series ..

For a daily driver I would say they are perfect for the 911 lover ..

I have been dailying my 996 for a couple of months now and it has been great. I was tossing up between the 996 and 997 for these duites. The 997 has a much nicer interior and looks better in my opinion. In the end, underneath they are basically the same car, and offer a very similar driving experience, so I went for the 996 as it is half the price (also there are a lot more videos I can do for the 996 which also swayed my opinion ;) ). 

14 hours ago, Jcg1 said:

I used a 996 as a daily for many years & it was great. Porsches are great cars with small children & you will have no issue with the child seat. I used child seats in both my 993 & 996.....the 996 is slightly bigger so you should have no issue using the seats from your 77. Go for it !!!

I am on the tools as well so it has always been a ute for me, Personaly I would be worried all day with my pride and joy in some car park all day. My poor old work ute (which i look after) has more dings and scrapes from car doors shopping trolleys and predestrians, So i generally drive them till there dead, be to hard to sell.

There are times I'll daily drive my 997 GT3 to the office and back, no reason you can't use them for daily duties... I don't have young ones, so the back seat is useless to me, but from memory @turboT daily drove a 997 TT for a number of years with baby seat and all.

I daily drove my 997 S for about 9 months, two child seats in the back.

Head to baby bunting or whatever and ask to test fit the seats, I could only find 1 seat at the time that would fit properly. If it has never had seats in the back before you will need to cut into the parcel shelf to get to the anchors. It is clear where you have to do it but unnerving at first go standing there with a box cutter chopping into your car.

Get a manual, the later the better in a series 1 07/08 preferably. Sport Chrono is a must, transforms the car. PSE if you can, but if not you can mod the exhaust or get something after market.

For mine there are only 2 reasons to get a series 2, one of which is fixable;

1. The head unit in a series 2 is miles better than a series 1, series 1 also doesn't have bluetooth in the stock unit and I believe they fixed the sticky button issue too.

2. PDK if you want it, not available in series 1.

One thing that I do come across daily driving the 911, is when I go to the supermarket for a couple of things and it turns into a lot of things. I forget until I get back outside and realise I brought the 911, and then have fun trying to fit everything in, without squashing the bread and fruit, etc.

20 minutes ago, MFX said:

One thing that I do come across daily driving the 911, is when I go to the supermarket for a couple of things and it turns into a lot of things. I forget until I get back outside and realise I brought the 911, and then have fun trying to fit everything in, without squashing the bread and fruit, etc.

It is like a tetrus game...just keep practicing and it gets easier. I can fit grocery shopping for family of 5 in the 930 (provided I am only one in car).

On 06/03/2020 at 21:16, Jcg1 said:

You definitely don’t have enough cars! 

I daily mine and love it.  I have 2 kids seats in the back and the only real downside I have is that we are a family of 5 and don't all fit in.

There's a fair bit of room in them really - you'll notice a massive difference in cabin space from the 77.  Also the frunk I find the space is more usable than the G series, you can fit a fair bit of stuff in them.

The 'entertainment system' is a piece of shit though, I put in a carplay headunit and it's magic.  Not sure you could daily without it.

You're welcome to take mine for spin if you're keen.

23 hours ago, sleazius said:

I daily drove my 997 S for about 9 months, two child seats in the back.

Head to baby bunting or whatever and ask to test fit the seats, I could only find 1 seat at the time that would fit properly. If it has never had seats in the back before you will need to cut into the parcel shelf to get to the anchors. It is clear where you have to do it but unnerving at first go standing there with a box cutter chopping into your car.

Get a manual, the later the better in a series 1 07/08 preferably. Sport Chrono is a must, transforms the car. PSE if you can, but if not you can mod the exhaust or get something after market.

For mine there are only 2 reasons to get a series 2, one of which is fixable;

1. The head unit in a series 2 is miles better than a series 1, series 1 also doesn't have bluetooth in the stock unit and I believe they fixed the sticky button issue too.

2. PDK if you want it, not available in series 1.

4 hours ago, wilburforce said:

I daily mine and love it.  I have 2 kids seats in the back and the only real downside I have is that we are a family of 5 and don't all fit in.

There's a fair bit of room in them really - you'll notice a massive difference in cabin space from the 77.  Also the frunk I find the space is more usable than the G series, you can fit a fair bit of stuff in them.

The 'entertainment system' is a piece of shit though, I put in a carplay headunit and it's magic.  Not sure you could daily without it.

What baby seats are you both using? I've got a 3 month old so once she can go to a front facing seat I'll be purchasing one

Any recommendations of an installer or did you do it yourself?

cheers,

57 minutes ago, 911 Snake said:

What baby seats are you both using? I've got a 3 month old so once she can go to a front facing seat I'll be purchasing one

cheers,

Unfortunately the only seat that 100% fit properly is no longer made as it was several years ago that I did this. The brand was Infasecure - they tend to be narrower at the bottom which is the problem with all the Britax seats, they're either too wide at the base, or the bolsters are too wide.

Head to your local baby bunting and ask to test fit seats. Start at the narrowest seat and go from there. 99% of car seats will not fit at all. I'm guessing you'll be lucky to find one in store that will fit.

I know a lot of people use to use Recaro seats, there was a set of two of them that got sold between members on here. No idea where you buy them or even if they still make them. I do remember them being quite exy.

I installed myself, so no recommendations there.

1 hour ago, 911 Snake said:

cheers,

I've got 3 boys - 2 are old enough to run boosters and I use a Britax Tourer. https://www.babybunting.com.au/britax-safe-n-sound-tourer-booster-buff-black-1.html

The youngest is 18mo and I've got a front facing seat for him. https://www.babybunting.com.au/britax-maxi-guard-black.html

Both fit perfectly when you remove the seatback and bottoms.  Very simple to fit yourself.

45 minutes ago, sleazius said:

Unfortunately the only seat that 100% fit properly is no longer made as it was several years ago that I did this. The brand was Infasecure - they tend to be narrower at the bottom which is the problem with all the Britax seats, they're either too wide at the base, or the bolsters are too wide.

Head to your local baby bunting and ask to test fit seats. Start at the narrowest seat and go from there. 99% of car seats will not fit at all. I'm guessing you'll be lucky to find one in store that will fit.

I know a lot of people use to use Recaro seats, there was a set of two of them that got sold between members on here. No idea where you buy them or even if they still make them. I do remember them being quite exy.

I installed myself, so no recommendations there.

13 minutes ago, wilburforce said:

I've got 3 boys - 2 are old enough to run boosters and I use a Britax Tourer. https://www.babybunting.com.au/britax-safe-n-sound-tourer-booster-buff-black-1.html

The youngest is 18mo and I've got a front facing seat for him. https://www.babybunting.com.au/britax-maxi-guard-black.html

Both fit perfectly when you remove the seatback and bottoms.  Very simple to fit yourself.

much appreciated! I'll do some digging and testing 🤞

On 10/03/2020 at 07:32, wilburforce said:

A friend of mine's dad had a 911 Targa back in the late 70s- early 80s. Family of 5 would go to the ski fields from Melbourne in it. My friend has 2 older sisters who would get a seat each, he had to sit on the transmission tunnel!

On 10/03/2020 at 07:32, wilburforce said:

Sounds like a plan, let know when you are free

On 10/03/2020 at 07:02, wilburforce said:

Also the frunk I find the space is more usable than the G series, you can fit a fair bit of stuff in them.

That wouldn't be hard. You would get more into a kids lunchbox than the frunk of a G series mate 😁